• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baytril

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
A nice baytril article. Personally not a fan of it being a first choice antibiotic. It won't work against chlamydia, and that's a pretty common respiratory infection. Plus doxycycline is also a broad spectrum antibiotic that is much, much less, likely to cause a secondary yeast infection.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
In addition to the downsides mentioned in the article above Baytril can and very often doe make a bird nauseous. So best not to give it without food first. And long term treatment with Baytril can cause tissue damage.

The other, more serious detriment with Baytril is that it has been so over used and used inappropriately so often that several bacteria are now immune to it.

Make no mistake, Baytril has been a godsend to the avian community.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
In addition to the downsides mentioned in the article above Baytril can and very often doe make a bird nauseous. So best not to give it without food first. And long term treatment with Baytril can cause tissue damage.

The other, more serious detriment with Baytril is that it has been so over used and used inappropriately so often that several bacteria are now immune to it.

Make no mistake, Baytril has been a godsend to the avian community.
Agree

For down birds , or burds in really bad shape and bacteria infection is suspected. Azithormycin is a very fast acting in birds broad spectrum antibiotic. You can see improvement in 24 hours. It saved my burds life, when I didn't think she could be saved( so close to death) . It's only given every other day, only 5 doses needed, can be called into your human pharmacy. Unlikely to cause yeast overgrowth. My avian vet very much supports me promoting this antibiotic, as she feels is being under utilized by avian veterinarians. But should be saved for critical birds.