• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

hello , how can i make my cockatiels feel as comfortable as possible.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Aside from the fact that brds should fly because they were born with wings..

1. You have cat that you said ¨wants to attack 24/7¨ so you shoul not clip so that should the two be in the same room, and the cat attacks, the birds at least have a chance to fly away instead of being a snack and you finding a pile of feathers and a beak.

2. You want to breed, flighted birds are the best breeders.

3.. Cockatiels are prone to laying problems namely egg-binging, flight can help keep them healthy and lessen the chances.

4. It doesn´t matter how small your room is, you could live in a cupboard under the stairs and still it wouldn´t justify clipping the birds wings.

5. You just got these birds, and you want to build trust... to start that process you are thinking about handicapping them... this is not a way to build trust, but to lose it.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
no the old owners said that they never learned to ly and to clip the wings
Didn’t you say they lived cage free, or am I mistaken? I would think being cage free would make them better flyers. The previous owner didn’t feel the need to clip them at their house.

Since you seem determined to clip their wings, can you just wait a couple of months and then decide? Give them a chance to settle in, since it’s only been a few days. What are the dimensions of your room?

Have you been reading to them? Dropping treats in their food? Saving a special treat only for training? Keeping all food in the cage so they have to go back to eat and drink? Giving them their favorite treat when they go back? Have you ordered a much bigger cage yet?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
The title of your thread is literally “How can I Make My Cockatiels Feel as Comfortable as Possible.” Clipping wings would definitely make them feel uncomfortable. Everything you do should be to foster their trust. Clipped birds are more likely to get injured. It’s not about what’s convenient for you, it’s out what’s best for them. I know you care about them, so please think long and hard about this.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
I'm a little confused... Are these 2 dogs and a cat just running wild in the rest of your house or is someone else taking care of them?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
This is the point where I feel like somebody has come here requesting help and everyone is ganging up on them. Let's cut her some slack. I know everyone means well but it feels .... harsh... right now.

We've said it. She heard it.

I personally don't trim wings but I know some really good bird keepers who do.

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
To offer my two cents: I'd say press pause for a second. I think you need to take a bit of time just to enjoy your birds! Instead of making big plans for their future and worrying yourself about whether to do this or that, just get to know your new additions. Find out what they like and dislike and the cute little quirks that make us love our birds so much!

Incidentally regarding the crashing: I would usually say not to let new birds out, but it seems this isn't an option. Something that may prevent crashes is to close curtains and stick some ribbons to the ceiling, with it hanging along the walls, which may help. The idea is they fly away from it because it moves. Some of these ideas work for pet birds too:

Screenshot_20201204-235441_Chrome.jpg

You could also cushion harder surfaces with towels or blankets. When Mabel lost her feathers in a night fright she kept dropping to my wooden floor like a stone, and panicking when I tried to help her. In the end I put towels and blankets down and that really helped.

Also my Jeff was an incredibly clumsy flier when I got him. I think he was used to an outdoor enclosure, so the walls confused him. It took a few alterations and time for him to adapt, but he did eventually. He flies around the room pretty much everyday now :)

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
I'm a little confused... Are these 2 dogs and a cat just running wild in the rest of your house or is someone else taking care of them?
they are small , a pug and chiwawa and they are older and taken care of . the dogs would just wanna play not attack but my cat waits at the door

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
To offer my two cents: I'd say press pause for a second. I think you need to take a bit of time just to enjoy your birds! Instead of making big plans for their future and worrying yourself about whether to do this or that, just get to know your new additions. Find out what they like and dislike and the cute little quirks that make us love our birds so much!

Incidentally regarding the crashing: I would usually say not to let new birds out, but it seems this isn't an option. Something that may prevent crashes is to close curtains and stick some ribbons to the ceiling, with it hanging along the walls, which may help. The idea is they fly away from it because it moves. Some of these ideas work for pet birds too:

View attachment 364667

You could also cushion harder surfaces with towels or blankets. When Mabel lost her feathers in a night fright she kept dropping to my wooden floor like a stone, and panicking when I tried to help her. In the end I put towels and blankets down and that really helped.

Also my Jeff was an incredibly clumsy flier when I got him. I think he was used to an outdoor enclosure, so the walls confused him. It took a few alterations and time for him to adapt, but he did eventually. He flies around the room pretty much everyday now :)
i would keep them in the cage but it isnt very big and ive noticed i have to keep my budgies away more and i dont like that

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
Didn’t you say they lived cage free, or am I mistaken? I would think being cage free would make them better flyers. The previous owner didn’t feel the need to clip them at their house.

Since you seem determined to clip their wings, can you just wait a couple of months and then decide? Give them a chance to settle in, since it’s only been a few days. What are the dimensions of your room?

Have you been reading to them? Dropping treats in their food? Saving a special treat only for training? Keeping all food in the cage so they have to go back to eat and drink? Giving them their favorite treat when they go back? Have you ordered a much bigger cage yet?
it was also a small room with 16 cockatiels and 5 budgies

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
There is a wealth of information on this forum about all the reasons you should leave your bird's wings intact. I highly suggest you read through some of it.

Clipping does not stop crashes, clipping does not make them safer in the vast majority of cases. Not to mention the physical exercise a clipped bird would miss out on. Clipping should be a last case scenario, once you have tried every other option to make things safer. There is always something that can be done.

Birds are meant to fly. Clipping for convenience would be like hobbling a toddler just to make them easier to handle. It's unreasonable.

But if for some reason, you do choose to clip despite all the reasons not to, please have a vet do it. A bad clip can lead to even more injuries (due to a lack of balance).