• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello everyone

Galebird

Meeting neighbors
hello!
I’ve been a proud cockatiel owner for years of one little guy who has changed my life.
Just a little background bc we’ve had a rough start.
When I got my boy he was very tiny and ratty. He was the only one of batch that was small but he had so much heart that I had to get him.
It’s been a ton of vet visits bc shortly after I got him I realized he was very sick. Took a long time to get him regulated, especially since he’s my first baby. It’s been a few years and we’ve moved and got a new vet but he’s still so tiny!! He’s always been tiny! They vet wants me to make him gain weight but it’s been impossible. Any other tiel owners have a “runt”?

Attachments

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! So glad you're here! Your baby is adorable!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Welcome - he is such a cutie! I love the runty ones. :hello1:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the forum :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. How much does your tiel weigh? Can you check his keel bone? That's often a better indicator of good weight for a bird. My tiel was small- 74 grams but my vet always said it was a good weight for his size. That said, you can give him millet spray and some sunflower seeds to help him gain some weight possibly.

Galebird

Meeting neighbors
He weighs about 72, and I felt for his bone I can feel it but it’s not petruding. He’s always been so small and he’s about four years now, I’m always going to the vet getting him checked bc that first year was so rough on him

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He weighs about 72, and I felt for his bone I can feel it but it’s not petruding. He’s always been so small and he’s about four years now, I’m always going to the vet getting him checked bc that first year was so rough on him
If his keel bone isn't protruding, I wouldn't worry too much then. My tiel only weighed a little bit more than yours. I gave him a bit of millet every day to help him keep up his weight. He also loved Higgins Worldly Cuisine mixes and you can mix vegetable in with those too. I would just weigh him regularly to make sure he doesn't lose weight.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and your tiel!

Our Igor Tiel tips the scales between 85 and 87 grams...on a good day...and he's going to be 19 years young soon. ;)

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Welcome! He's very cute. My tiel is on the small side as well, and she has started flying a lot more so I'm trying to keep weight on her. She weighs 77 grams today, and her keel bone isn't protruding either. She has a small frame. Like @sunnysmom said, as long as the keel bone isn't protruding in your little guy, you're all set. :)

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
That's funny, although Autumn's not my real name. I just love the season so I use it as my username, unless you meant my real name. It is a pretty name though. :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome