• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello Everyone!

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I’m happy to join the fold! Sorry I’m a bit late on introducing myself I’ve been really working with my lovebird Giuseppe (Peeps) and he just HATES my phone with a passion. We’re currently working on “no biting” also I’ve been having some rather upsetting finch drama...

A bit about me:

I had cockatiels as a kid but sadly my mum wasn’t a fan so they were abruptly replaced with a not-to-be-touched, beautiful blue masked lovebird who hissed at everyone. He was never even given a name and disappeared just as unceremoniously as my pet birds, which were loved, trained, and even spoke a bit!

About my birds:
After years of driving by it, I finally stopped into an exotic bird store on 4 September and Peeps (rosy-faced lovebird) picked me. I was holding a different lovebird at the time and he was running back-and-forth in front of the door I held up the lovebird, but he made it clear it was me he was after. I asked to hold him and 30m later we were driving home together. Best decision I’ve made in ages.

I also have a small flock of zebbies that I am really having some issues with...I now have 5, but would have had 8 if it weren’t for severeal unexpected deaths. I adopted a bonded pair that were abandoned by a neighbor and 3d later the male died, the female (Meep) immediately started pulling out her feathers and calling for him, so I got her a male at a place that, in hindsight, I should have passed up...they only had 2 left and both looked pretty rough. He died 3d later and the shop was out of zebras for weeks, she was so stressed out alone that I went and got her a lovely black cheeked male from a very nice place. They bonded and have a massive flight cage so they got another bonded pair to pal around with. Then the aforementioned bad store finally got their zebra finches in and I was given a box with a male already in it, I took him directly to the shop I got the others from and got him a lady so there were no fights. They were amazing and took him out for me so I could see him. He was stunning with bright brown eyes. I named him Jesse and just yesterday I found Jess dead, standing up in his food bowl. He looked like he’d been stuffed if he hadn’t been just too still for a finch I might have assumed he was eating. I genuinely have no idea what happened to him; he was the biggest and most robust of the males, he was building a nest with his girl and there were no fights with him. He showed no signs of illness or lethargy and they have their own room with an air purifier.
I’m debating whether or not to replace him. Meep had a freak accident last week and got her foot stuck in the bars while I was out. There was blood everywhere, she’d ripped out all her left wing’s feathers, and completely given up by the time I came home. She didn’t even struggle when I got her out. I am hoping she’ll be alright once everything grows back but she was still recovering from initially ripping her feathers out when her mate died and now she can’t fly. Ah I thought zebra finches were “easy” :(

At least I got this done without Peeps eating my phone. He’s happily asleep in my hair. Hopefully my zebras will take a positive turn :/

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome.
Sorry about your finch difficulties.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Congrats on getting Peeps. Sorry about the loss of the finches.
Hope all will be well with Meep.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:greet13: welcome!

So glad you you pop'd in. Congrats on Peeps. Hopefully Meeps will b e OK. Sending healing thoughts to her.

:gbh: Rain & Buddy :mrha:

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Thank you all! Peeps is amazing and Meep seems to be doing great given the circumstances. I covered the grate flooring with newspaper and moved everything down so the flock still socializes with her. Her man and my mateless girl are keeping her preened and warm <3 she’s one strong little girl!

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Congrats on Meep-and welcome!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Image00010~2.jpg
I'm so sorry for your losses. I'm glad to hear Peeps and Meeps are doing well:)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome sorry for your loss

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Welcome and I hope everything evens out and all your flock becomes happy and healthy again.