• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello everyone! Im new and would love your help!

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
Hi my name is Zee and I am in the process of getting a cockatiel. I went and saw some today..she said they are hand raised and tame and should be ready to go home in a week or so. She said the cinnamon pied could go home earlier.. I guess he/she is older.

I have two questions.. the first, I saw what seemed to look like foam on the beak of the lutino cinnamon. Is that normal in babies? They had been yelling for food for a while could that be the cause? It also looked like maybe he was swallowing over and over. After he ate he sat on my finger and was very calm. But it made me a little nervous.

My next question is the cinnamon pied was very alert.. but always stepped up and seemed sweet. Very quiet. I had my heart set on a male to teach him songs and listen to him sing but as you know it would be almost impossible to know any of these. She did say she thought the lutino cinnamon was likely a male. The most important would be that he or she cuddles but I guess thats luck of the draw too. I work from home and he or she will be out of the cage most of the day. I think any of these four cockatiels would be great I just cant decide. Which would you choose if you were me?? Looks arent as important they are all beautiful.

Thank you for any advice you may have here is a pic~
it wouldnt let me upload the videos so here is a link to videos hopefully that is ok. If not I can take down Id just love your help. I just made the twitter today so I could share the videos only and ask advice. B61F80E6-BECF-4B4B-8370-F69015C92BE4.jpeg

~Zee

Last edited:

SkyLark

Jogging around the block
Hi, before you decide to buy a tiel, note that they live for over 20 years with the right care. have you done your research? Just like dogs, birds also need yearly vet checkups, and avian vets are more expensive than the usual doggo vet. They need a pelleted diet with seeds and veggies, and need a big cage and plenty of human interaction and socialization. please do not get a tiel if you do not have the resources available to care for it all it's life. This includes toys, food, vets bills, and any other complications you may have with the bird. PLEASE DO NOT IMPULSE BUY A BIRD. (srry if you already know this, I'm just scared you saw a tiel at the store and thought it was cool) But if you have done your research, and prepared for all the things a tiel will need, then i suggest getting the one who is the most active and healthy looking. also, :welave: :welave: :welave: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
Hi yes thank you Ive done a ton of research for the past month. I learned a lot from Live Laugh Birds on youtube. I will be giving harrisons pellets..if he/she likes them..seeds in foraging toys and chop...and millet for training and treats. Cage is 24x24x32 filled with toys to shred and natural wood perches ..rope..and sea grass. No happy huts! Im here for advice its all welcome.. thank you!

Is the foam normal?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Birds do have some spit in their mouths. I can not see any foam and I am not sure your description and my mental picture match up. Can you explain more about the foam?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The bird you want to choose is the one that is the most interested in you and wants to be with you and interact with you.
You also want to take any new bird for a wellness checkup ASAP so maybe you need to make sure the breeder will either take the bird back or pay for vet bills in the event your chosen baby is not healthy or has a problem- these check ups usually need to be done within a few days of the purchase (if the offer is available at all) to be able to get money back or exchange the bird.
You would possibly need either a picture or a much better description of the foam and more information........ had the bird just been hand fed or had another bird try to feed it?

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Hi Zee, and welcome! :welcomesign:
I can surely see the dilemma here in choosing ONE! They are all adorable little buggers, for sure.
I know nothing about foam out of the mouth, so I can't advise you of that. I can't wait to see pics once you get your sweet Tiel home!

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
The bird you want to choose is the one that is the most interested in you and wants to be with you and interact with you.
You also want to take any new bird for a wellness checkup ASAP so maybe you need to make sure the breeder will either take the bird back or pay for vet bills in the event your chosen baby is not healthy or has a problem- these check ups usually need to be done within a few days of the purchase (if the offer is available at all) to be able to get money back or exchange the bird.
You would possibly need either a picture or a much better description of the foam and more information........ had the bird just been hand fed or had another bird try to feed it?
I should have taken a picture..it just looked similar to a human baby..that foamy drool look...they had been begging for food and the two did “feed” each other..at first I thought they were fighting. I will be sure to ask about the vet check there is one walking distance of the store. Thank you!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Zee! :starshower1:

Oh my, very cute chicks!!! :faint: :cloud9:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. As @Shezbug said, the best one to get is the one that picks you. :) I would try interacting with them and seeing which is more interested in you.

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
Thanks! It was hard to tell because they were all begging for food from me lol. The cinnamon pied (?) would step up and seemed sweet but seemed more annoyed by the babies screeching. Im horrible with decisions!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
Thank you all for the advice and warm welcome. I decided to choose the cinnamon whiteface pied. I hope thats the correct mutation, the woman at the store wasnt well informed. And when I went to pick him/her up, she didnt suggest anything for diet other than seed. I feel bad for the cockatiels that get sold to uninformed people they will only get seed their whole life :(
I named him/her Moki, it means "God is good" in hawaiian, also its really cute to say..and gender neutral since I'm not sure if its a boy or girl. Either way, very excited I love Moki already. :heart2:
Moki is pretty clumsy so I moved all the toys and perches and food toward the bottom of the cage til he/she can climb better. Any other advice for a new bird mommy I'm all ears!

Any guesses if it's a boy or girl??

Attachments

Reactions: tka

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You can ask for a DNA test before purchase. If you have your heart set on a male then it would be worth it. In the video the two darker ones may be female but I am not expert.