• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hates showers ... but likes ‘air’ bathes?

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
Hi! Wow it’s been awhile since I was on here...

So my RB2 hates showers. I rarely shower him due to how much he HATES them. I think he is mostly afraid of the spray bottle, but I’m not sure. It’s very frustrating , because he gets to the point where he really needs a bath but it scares him.. so I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to scare him.

Interestingly he LOVES ‘air’ bathes- like when the fan is blowing on him. He acts like he’s taking a shower/bath. He has a ball and today he got actually pouty and flew away and ignored me for a good 5 minutes when I turned off the fan! :)

... I’m wondering if I can somehow use this to my advantage to get him used to water? I thought about spraying mist into where the fan was blowing? I also have thought about jut taking him up to the shower to actually shower... but I don’t know if that would scare him the same as the bottle.

Any ideas?

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
You could also try turning on the fan near a plastic container full of water. When I had Charlie (Macaw) we used a bit tuppermaid under the bed tub.
I was going to suggest the same. Maybe also just leave him a bowl of water so that he can sit/stand in it and maybe actually bathe himself? Sounds wacky I know, but we all know that the only thing weirder than a bird parront is the bird(s) they care for.

I have tiels which usually like being misted, some of mine will come and sit in the designated water bowl and wait to be misted. BUT there's a handful of them that don't like being misted. They HAVE to stand (or sit) in a red, heart shaped bathing bowl. Go figure.

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
I was going to suggest the same. Maybe also just leave him a bowl of water so that he can sit/stand in it and maybe actually bathe himself? Sounds wacky I know, but we all know that the only thing weirder than a bird parront is the bird(s) they care for.

I have tiels which usually like being misted, some of mine will come and sit in the designated water bowl and wait to be misted. BUT there's a handful of them that don't like being misted. They HAVE to stand (or sit) in a red, heart shaped bathing bowl. Go figure.
A long time ago, when I first got him I tried introducing him to a bowl of water. He seemed kind of disinterested and I took it as that’s not the way cockatoos bathe? Might sound ignorant but I’ve never seen a ‘too bathe in a dish before, the ones I’ve seen and met always preferred spray bathes.

I should give it another go. Thanks :)!