• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harrison's reviews

Which food do you prefer for your macaw?

• Total voters

Tempted2Touch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
What is everyone's opinion about Harrison's organic bird food?

Which would you experienced macaw owners suggest?

Quality and price opinions?

Do you notice any visible changes in your macaws?

Why do vets recommend it?

What are the down sides, if any?

What about Harrison's treats?

Any input will help, my B&G seems to really dig it and I want to make sure it's the best kind of pellet food. I was told seed and nut diet is by far the best for large birds like macaws but mine turns his nose up to seed, all and any kind of seed. Any help?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Downside is it lacks Calcium. I use Hagen sticks and Caitic medium.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
A seed and nut diet is NOT best! Lacks many nutrients. Vitamin D3 being the biggest one.

Harrison's does have calcium in the form of calcium carbonate, says so right in it's ingredients list.

The downside to Harrison's is that it can be sometimes hard to get birds to eat it. I use the bird bread as a conversion tool.

Zupreem is a great "gateway pellet" as it has sugar and so many birds find it palatable. So I often start birds on that and then move them to something else later.

The best pellet is always the one they will eat though!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I feed Harrison's and Zupreem naturals mixed together. I find sometimes they pick out the harrison's and some times the zupreem. It changes day to day so I mix them and feed it that way. The birds that prefer harrison's I give more too.

My guys also get two meals a day of fresh foods and treats.

Last edited:

Tempted2Touch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
A seed and nut diet is NOT best! Lacks many nutrients. Vitamin D3 being the biggest one.

Harrison's does have calcium in the form of calcium carbonate, says so right in it's ingredients list.

The downside to Harrison's is that it can be sometimes hard to get birds to eat it. I use the bird bread as a conversion tool.

Zupreem is a great "gateway pellet" as it has sugar and so many birds find it palatable. So I often start birds on that and then move them to something else later.

The best pellet is always the one they will eat though!
As far as that goes I'll trust my vet to monitor his ups and downs. But that's a good point.

Tempted2Touch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
I feed Harrison's and Zupreem naturals mixed together. I find sometimes they pick out the harrison's and some times the zupreem. It changes day to day so I mix them and feed it that way. The birds that prefer harrison's I give more too.

My guess also get two meals a day of fresh foods and treats.
My bird Keiko is on zupreem and Harrisons and eats everything though he does go after the zupreem first. Now I know why!

HawkEagle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Paulina
I am no-pro with macaws, but Harrison's budgie food is a good mix! So I guess it is a good brand, yes- although I have heard it lacks certain vitamins. Zupreem seems popular here amongst macaw owners :)

If you have concerns, maybe contact your avian vet ?

Tempted2Touch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ally
I am no-pro with macaws, but Harrison's budgie food is a good mix! So I guess it is a good brand, yes- although I have heard it lacks certain vitamins. Zupreem seems popular here amongst macaw owners :)

If you have concerns, maybe contact your avian vet ?
I have also heard that it lack a few things, but I've also heard that it had a great impact on birds whom switched off a different pellet and on to Harrison's. I will discuss this with my vet. I just like hearing experienced bird owners opinion as they have likely seen and experienced all.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks John, they must have changed the formula. Seems to me it used to state it right on the site.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Harrison's is one of the better pellets. If your bird is willing to eat it, I'd say go for it. I use Zupreem because my macaw refuses to eat Harrison's. Seed isn't strictly necessary, but you might want to give him a nut a few times a week just because he is a macaw and nuts in moderation aren't bad. Also, they really should get fresh food or cooked food. I don't think having only dry food in their diet is good for their kidneys. I just cooked up a bunch of squash and mixed it with a little chopped greens and cooked quinoa, rice and beans today. The macaw got a big spoon full. Usually I do sweet potato and some other mixed veggies. It varies by the day, but I do make sure they get some veggies most days.
Pellets are good for a portion of the diet, but there should be significant emphasis on wet, fresh, unprocessed real food.