• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hahns Macaw x Sun Conure Hybrid Wednesday Macawnure

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Shezbug I expect the net will take a while to re-index itself. I'll have to be patient.

There's a new vid on YouTube of a young DF red Sun cross Hahn's I saw yesterday. Has a brighter and larger orange g-string (I call them Wednesday's orange undies lol) and a bit more orange here and there, but is otherwise very similar.
Wednesday is your birds name? I like Wednesday as a name as much as I like Tuesday as a name- the other days of the week don't work for names though I don't think.

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Wednesday is your birds name? I like Wednesday as a name as much as I like Tuesday as a name- the other days of the week don't work for names though I don't think.
Yes, Wednesday indeed! For sure, I agree. I saw a lady called Sunday recently, though, which didn't seem too bad!

The only annoying thing is people asking if I got her on a Wednesday (rolls eyeballs). My entertainment agent often pairs me with a snake-charmer.... who has a snake called Wednesday. I'm waiting for us to be on the same gig with them lol

My son wants to have a bird named after every day of the week .... I'm like nooooooooo hehehe

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
She’s beautiful!

I will say though, I don’t see the need to breed more hybrids. An accident is an accident, but intentionally doing so is a different discussion.

Especially since we don’t know anything about the long-term health or longevity of these hybrids.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
How did you acquire Wednesday? Beautiful!

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
She’s beautiful!

I will say though, I don’t see the need to breed more hybrids. An accident is an accident, but intentionally doing so is a different discussion.

Especially since we don’t know anything about the long-term health or longevity of these hybrids.
I hear you. It was an intentional match as the breeder had contacted some US breeders about the health and vigor of the progeny, and he liked the style and colour of them, and is a fan of the personalities of both parent birds. I've looked into them as much as possible with little information available. A lot of macaw hybrids are out there now. In Oz we seem to have a lot due to limited availability of some species.
I went with it assuming the risk, the possible higher cost, and with the understanding she needs regular health checks.

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
How did you acquire Wednesday? Beautiful!
I was looking for a mini-mac and saw a picture of her online. She was bred in Mackay, Australia by a macaw breeder.
Her mum is hahns and dad is the sun.
She was flown down by JetPet, and she handled the flights really well.
At some point I'll make a post about birds on airlines, as there isn't much info on that, and I learned a lot.
We could hear her yelling the depot down to be let out of her carrier. She scoffed plums all the way home, and when I opened the carrier, she was on me in a flash and is all-round super friendly.
She does party bookings with me in my role as a sideshow performer, and she has a great, unflappable temperament. Her first booking was a WILD costume party with really loud music, and she was great.
The only thing she doesn't like is ladies trying to pat her with painted nails! :D

She spends about 10hrs a day with me, and the rest of the time in the bird room (my bedroom lol). Her cage was repurposed for budgies. She used to go in it and be rolled outside for fresh air, but now we just go for walks.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I was looking for a mini-mac and saw a picture of her online. She was bred in Mackay, Australia by a macaw breeder.
Her mum is hahns and dad is the sun.
She was flown down by JetPet, and she handled the flights really well.
At some point I'll make a post about birds on airlines, as there isn't much info on that, and I learned a lot.
We could hear her yelling the depot down to be let out of her carrier. She scoffed plums all the way home, and when I opened the carrier, she was on me in a flash and is all-round super friendly.
She does party bookings with me in my role as a sideshow performer, and she has a great, unflappable temperament. Her first booking was a WILD costume party with really loud music, and she was great.
The only thing she doesn't like is ladies trying to pat her with painted nails! :D

She spends about 10hrs a day with me, and the rest of the time in the bird room (my bedroom lol). Her cage was repurposed for budgies. She used to go in it and be rolled outside for fresh air, but now we just go for walks.
Wonderful idea to make a thread about airlines!
Thank you

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
I hear you. It was an intentional match as the breeder had contacted some US breeders about the health and vigor of the progeny, and he liked the style and colour of them, and is a fan of the personalities of both parent birds. I've looked into them as much as possible with little information available. A lot of macaw hybrids are out there now. In Oz we seem to have a lot due to limited availability of some species.
I went with it assuming the risk, the possible higher cost, and with the understanding she needs regular health checks.
Macaw hybrids occur within the same genus, while a sun conure and Hahn’s macaw are in entirely different genera, so they are much further apart evolutionarily/genetically. I wouldn’t take the health of macaw hybrids as evidence that a macaw/conure hybrid will also be healthy long-term. Nonetheless, I am glad she is receiving the medical attention she needs.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Wednesday is beautiful. I can definitely see the hahnsie in her.

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Macaw hybrids occur within the same genus, while a sun conure and Hahn’s macaw are in entirely different genera, so they are much further apart evolutionarily/genetically. I wouldn’t take the health of macaw hybrids as evidence that a macaw/conure hybrid will also be healthy long-term. Nonetheless, I am glad she is receiving the medical attention she needs.
Yes, I hear you on the different genus. Still close enough to interbreed, though I know that doesn't assure good health, as evidenced by sun/gcc mixes, which are a health disaster when they breed.

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Wednesday is getting sunnier. Her shoulders, which had salmon/red colours and orange epaulettes, are now yellow and orange spotted. Pics 3mo apart before and mid moult. First 3 pics current. Last 2 older.

Attachments

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Wednesday is getting sunnier. Her shoulders, which had salmon/red colours and orange epaulettes, are now yellow and orange spotted. Pics 3mo apart before and mid moult.
She’s so cute :heart:

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
She's a naughty girl. Kept biting my ear worried I was dead when I had a migraine today. She is uncaged, so I retreated to the lounge to relax my sore head without a bird perching on it :/

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
She's a naughty girl. Kept biting my ear worried I was dead when I had a migraine today. She is uncaged, so I retreated to the lounge to relax my sore head without a bird perching on it :/
I hope you feel better

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
She is so beautiful ..I love her coloring ..it will be neat to see the changes in her as she gets older :swoon:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
She sure is a stunning bird! :heart: :xflove:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
You can really see both species in her ! And they blended beautifully. A really special girl. Your love and care are obvious.

Im not for hybrids. But then again in nature some real strange mixes do happen. I read of a very genetic separate song bird mix found recently ..darn can't remember the 2 species
But found this when looking

Last edited: