• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hahns Macaw x Sun Conure Hybrid Wednesday Macawnure

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Beautiful :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sorry, do not have a computer currently set up! (nor really good internet....) I've had a lot going on past few years... might not really be able to log in much until the new year. (not sure when, either!)

Her breeder has an unrelated pair, so I'm considering getting a male and trying to breed 2nd gen macawnures. Still undecided on this, as I don't want to jeopardise my relationship with her. It's tempting... but I have plenty of time yet to decide.
I would have to urge you *NOT* to create any more hybrids. You are lucky in that your girl appears healthy on the outside! Mini macaw x conure hybrids suffer from some of the same health issues... if not worse... than the sun x green cheek hybrids... although I'm not sure how much this is due to hybridization vs potential inbreeding. )re: multi-gen hybrids)

Please look up "conan conures".... a mix of two, if not three, species.... the health issues found in these guys???? Lets just say it aint pretty... and thankfully, are no longer being bred! (breeder surrendered the birds to a rescue with absolutely *NO* information about them)

Macaw hybrids occur within the same genus, while a sun conure and Hahn’s macaw are in entirely different genera, so they are much further apart evolutionarily/genetically. I wouldn’t take the health of macaw hybrids as evidence that a macaw/conure hybrid will also be healthy long-term. Nonetheless, I am glad she is receiving the medical attention she needs.
Not true, actually... there are different genera of macaws, and even within the same genera there's still health issues within the hybrids... although how many I am not sure of. The info I know of comes from a hybrid macaw breeder and owner - who does not breed first gen hybrids but will breed other gen hybrids. (not sure she's still breeding, either)

but we do have a lot of hybrids out there....

Hahns x sun
Hahns x jenday
Hahns x nanday
Hahns x blue crown
Hahns x sun x jenday (????)
Hahns x golden conure (if I recall right?)
Noble x mitred
Illigers x nanday
Blue throated macaw x patagonian (??? unconfirmed - main guesses have been B&G x Red Front followed by B&G x Patagonian)

But there's also....

Mitred conure x Blue fronted amazon
Nanday conure x Tucuman amazon (????)

Timneh african grey x jardines parrot

And many more oddballs

@HemlokHex it's amazing how much work you have put into your baby!!! And that I admire! Far too many birds do not get that level of enrichment! I hope she does not have any health complications due to being a hybrid. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to check back in again but it it's great to see the changes that are occurring in your little hybrid! :)

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Sorry, do not have a computer currently set up! (nor really good internet....) I've had a lot going on past few years... might not really be able to log in much until the new year. (not sure when, either!)

I would have to urge you *NOT* to create any more hybrids. You are lucky in that your girl appears healthy on the outside! Mini macaw x conure hybrids suffer from some of the same health issues... if not worse... than the sun x green cheek hybrids... although I'm not sure how much this is due to hybridization vs potential inbreeding. )re: multi-gen hybrids)

Please look up "conan conures".... a mix of two, if not three, species.... the health issues found in these guys???? Lets just say it aint pretty... and thankfully, are no longer being bred! (breeder surrendered the birds to a rescue with absolutely *NO* information about them)

Not true, actually... there are different genera of macaws, and even within the same genera there's still health issues within the hybrids... although how many I am not sure of. The info I know of comes from a hybrid macaw breeder and owner - who does not breed first gen hybrids but will breed other gen hybrids. (not sure she's still breeding, either)

Hahns x sun
Hahns x jenday
Hahns x nanday
Hahns x blue crown
Noble x mitred
Illigers x nanday
Blue throated macaw x patagonian (??? unconfirmed - main guesses have been B&G x Red Front followed by B&G x Patagonian)

But there's also....

And many more oddballs

@HemlokHex it's amazing how much work you have put into your baby!!! And that I admire! Far too many birds do not get that level of enrichment! I hope she does not have any health complications due to being a hybrid. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to check back in again but it it's great to see the changes that are occurring in your little hybrid! :)
This is just for my own curiosity (I will never breed, too many things to potentially go wrong), but the way ethical dog breeders put together two different breeders for a purpose bred mutt - ie health testing, genetic testing, etc - would that not be something possible in breeding hybrid birds? For example, if you have two well-bred birds, a sun conure and a Hahns, who have no health issues either in them or in their genetic line going back at least a couple generations, would it not be possible to breed a healthy hybrid?

Again, this is JUST my own curiosity, and using what I know about dogs breeding in relation to birds.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This is just for my own curiosity (I will never breed, too many things to potentially go wrong), but the way ethical dog breeders put together two different breeders for a purpose bred mutt - ie health testing, genetic testing, etc - would that not be something possible in breeding hybrid birds? For example, if you have two well-bred birds, a sun conure and a Hahns, who have no health issues either in them or in their genetic line going back at least a couple generations, would it not be possible to breed a healthy hybrid?

Again, this is JUST my own curiosity, and using what I know about dogs breeding in relation to birds.
Dogs are all one species, Canis lupus familiaris. To achieve a similar breeding program you would take to take ONE species of parrot and selectively breed them for different traits. Breeding a conure with a Hahns would be more akin to breeding a fox and a wolf.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Dogs are all one species, Canis lupus familiaris. To achieve a similar breeding program you would take to take ONE species of parrot and selectively breed them for different traits. Breeding a conure with a Hahns would be more akin to breeding a fox and a wolf.
Ah! I hadn’t thought about that part. So it would be more like… breeding a blue and gold to a green wing?

I need to learn my bird species better…

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Ah! I hadn’t thought about that part. So it would be more like… breeding a blue and gold to a green wing?

Blue and Gold - Ara ararauna
Green Wing - Ara chloropterus

They're both Ara genus, but still different species.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

No green wing (Ara chloropterus) and blue and gold (Ara ararauna) are also distinct species.

There isn't a truly good example because dogs are one of the most specifically bred animals in our existence.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Blue and Gold - Ara ararauna
Green Wing - Ara chloropterus

... they're still different species.
Oh. Jeez, I’m terrible at this :roflmao:

Ok, what would be an example of same species but differing… I don’t know, whatever would make it a hybrid?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
No green wing (Ara chloropterus) and blue and gold (Ara ararauna) are also distinct species.

There isn't a truly good example because dogs are one of the most specifically bred animals in our existence.
Dang. I was really curious about it. I’m assuming that means my posed hypothetical wouldn’t be possible?

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa

Hahns x sun
Hahns x jenday
Hahns x nanday
Hahns x blue crown
Noble x mitred
Illigers x nanday

But there's also....

And many more oddballs

Hey Monica! Nice to hear from you!
Still undecided on the breeding ~ a couple of years yet to decide. Thanks for the extra info, I will indeed look further. I posted this due to the lack of documentation on them. She is super healthy, no health problems whatsoever...
She just turned one. Her breeder did research this particular cross quite extensively and apparently there are second and third gen in USA that are healthy. As I said though, I still have plenty of research to do first. I'll post some new pics as she's getting sunnier by the day.
Her talking has stagnated a bit... she has some new words but they are mumbly. Lots of new sounds (microwave beeping, a chit chat sound she whispers, and a lorikeet sound that's sort of a purr).
And that's about all. Lots of chewing of toys going on. Her beak is sharp and needs filing at the moment as it's lethal.
Merry Christmas to all here, hope you are all well!

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Coffee mug pic... you can see new orange and yellow on nape of neck and back of her head. Lots more colour on her shoulders ~ the salmon colour of the hahns is now full red, orange and yellow speckles.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Dang. I was really curious about it. I’m assuming that means my posed hypothetical wouldn’t be possible?
No idea. I'm not well versed in hybrids in general!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Coffee mug pic... you can see new orange and yellow on nape of neck and back of her head. Lots more colour on her shoulders ~ the salmon colour of the hahns is now full red, orange and yellow speckles.
She’s unbelievably stunning. Have you found any personality traits from either parent species that come through stronger than others?

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
what would be an example of same species but differing… I don’t know, whatever would make it a hybrid?
Green-cheeked conures and their different colour mutations perhaps (cinnamon, pineapple, turquoise, yellow-sided, erc)?

That would apply to one definition of hybrid, varieties, but within the same species.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Green-cheeked conures and their different colour mutations perhaps (cinnamon, pineapple, turquoise, yellow-sided, erc)?

That would apply to one definition of hybrid, varieties, but within the same species.
Ah, so like with cockatiels - grey, cinnamon, lutino, etc?

I had always thought of things like that as different colorations, not so much as I guess breeding a “mixed breed” (using dog terminology).

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
She’s unbelievably stunning. Have you found any personality traits from either parent species that come through stronger than others?
Thanks, I love her to bits.
She is extremely loud now she found her lungs. She was quiet as an only birb, but she now competes with the budgies omfg she can really turn it up. She's a bit nippy at the moment, almost the end of moult. She's very upside-down like Suns.... she throws herself off my shoulder into my arms to be upside down.
Her flying is completely unplanned ~ she throws a leg out and lands upside down in the most impossible landings ever. She's a very strong and acrobatic flyer and can hover and fly backwards like a hummingbird (she lives free in my house so possibly helps).
Like the Hahns, she is very unruffled. She copes with loud noises, parties, traffic, crowds. She does party gigs with me. I assume the generally confident nature comes from both parents.
She's everyone's bird. She favours me but will fly to everyone in turn in a room, including strangers. Doesn't let all strangers pat her, though.
She is a water baby, and flies STRAIGHT out of the bath after sitting under the tap. She gets absolutely soaked, wetter than any bird I've ever seen, then flies herself dry, shedding a litre of water on the floor in the process lol.
That's about all I can think of!

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Ah, so like with cockatiels - grey, cinnamon, lutino, etc?

I had always thought of things like that as different colorations, not so much as I guess breeding a “mixed breed” (using dog terminology).
I tend to think of these as colour and pattern mutations, not hybrids, as they are within species, but depends upon your definition of hybrid, perhaps?