• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hagen's Budgie seed mix Good quality or Bad

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Hey there, I have been searching for a better seed for kony (budgie). Right now she has gout and I am trying to get her to eat Lafeber senior nutriberries but so far all my attempts have failed. So now im looking into sprouting seeds to give her a diet of veggies, berries (to help with uric acid levels), and sprouted seeds, with her regular dry seed mix. The current regular dry seed mix I have is bad not that its rotten but the quality. (I always have to pick out and filter through it strange things sometimes I even find giant seeds that a budgie is not meant to eat). Anyway after reading the thread about sprouting seeds I saw they mentioned some seed mixes I never heard of before. After doing some reaserch Hagen's Budgie seed mix seems to be the best. But after some searching I cant seem to find a website for the company that makes it and on top of that it seems like the amazon reviews are mixed. The biggest complaints being that when the food gets delivered the bag is either old and dusty (out of date/rotten seed) most likely due to the way amazon stores it. And sometimes the bags have bugs in them which I dont know whos at fault for that one. The third biggest complaint is shipping, the bags tend to arrive broken depending on the carrier that delivers them. Another review said they got a completely different seed mix inside the bag instead of what was supposed to be in the bag. So I wanted to ask if anyone here feeds this brand to their budgies and what their experience with the brand is. Is it good, do you see the problems listed above often? And is it true you have to store it in the refrigerator as it says on the amazon listing?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've bought it to learn how to sprout seed. It seems to be recommended for this. Try buying locally. The two bags I have look nice and fresh. :)

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Which mix are we talking about, Premium or Gourmet?
I like the Gourmet because there's pellets and other goodies in the mix. Never tried the Premium.

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Which mix are we talking about, Premium or Gourmet?
I like the Gourmet because there's pellets and other goodies in the mix. Never tried the Premium.
I'm talking about the one that comes in the blue 6lb bag with a picture of a budgie on it. Im trying to see if a store near me sells it but it dosent seem like anyone does. I found one website that I thought was the company that made it but it does not mention the product.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I had no idea Hagen was also ExoTerra. I use a lot of their products too!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Why not try contacting the company & asking them where to buy locally?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I just reread some of your original post. All seed mixes I recommend keeping in the freezer for a few days before opening, and only keep out a few weeks worth at a time. This is too help prevent getting seed moths hatching and escaping, which can happen with ANY seed mix!

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Why not try contacting the company & asking them where to buy locally?
Im going to try that but they have a thing on their website that shows where to buy a product locally and the store that poped up as a result does not seem to carry it according to their website so I might have to call both the store to see if the webiste is actually accurate and if it is then I will then try contacting the company.

redrose27

Strolling the yard
I just reread some of your original post. All seed mixes I recommend keeping in the freezer for a few days before opening, and only keep out a few weeks worth at a time. This is too help prevent getting seed moths hatching and escaping, which can happen with ANY seed mix!
I have never heard of keeping seed mixes in the fridge. This is the first ive heard of it. Normally at home we always keep the seed in the original packaging sealed tight in a dry place aka the pantry. I have never heard of seed months before nor do I think ive ever seen one in my life. Im guessing this is something that happens to old outdated seed or seed that was already compromised by bugs?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have never heard of keeping seed mixes in the fridge. This is the first ive heard of it. Normally at home we always keep the seed in the original packaging sealed tight in a dry place aka the pantry. I have never heard of seed months before nor do I think ive ever seen one in my life. Im guessing this is something that happens to old outdated seed or seed that was already compromised by bugs?
It can happen in several parts of the process, either in the field or before packaging. I've never had seed moths myself but I know many people who have and they are hard to get rid of! I don't keep any seeds in the fridge, only the freezer. Fridge can actually cause mold, I believe.

redrose27

Strolling the yard
It can happen in several parts of the process, either in the field or before packaging. I've never had seed moths myself but I know many people who have and they are hard to get rid of! I don't keep any seeds in the fridge, only the freezer. Fridge can actually cause mold, I believe.
Thats really interesting to know. I normally just follow the instructions on the seeds packaging (Nornally says store in dry cool place). I am curious though how are they difficult to get rid of? if someone saw even one would the immediate action not be to just throw out all the seed in the package the moth came from? Or is it something that spreads in the house? Also how does storing seeds in a freezer work? Im guessing you have to defrost it depending on how much your actually going to use in a day?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thats really interesting to know. I normally just follow the instructions on the seeds packaging (Nornally says store in dry cool place). I am curious though how are they difficult to get rid of? if someone saw even one would the immediate action not be to just throw out all the seed in the package the moth came from? Or is it something that spreads in the house? Also how does storing seeds in a freezer work? Im guessing you have to defrost it depending on how much your actually going to use in a day?
They reproduce and get into other foods etc. Then of course because birds are sensitive you have to be careful with what you use to get rid of them.

I freeze in 1 quart bags for 3 days minimum, then leave 1 on the counter overnight to thaw. That one goes in an airtight container and I use it until it's gone, and then repeat the process. I do the same with pellets as I tend to buy in bulk and only have one bird :lol: So it keeps it fresher.