• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

H E L P Im this close to lossing it I need better seed PLEASE

redrose27

Strolling the yard
My sister (bird) kony shes a parakeet/budgie she has gout, arthritus in one knee due to gout, a fatty tumor which has gone down but im not sure if its totally gone yet and shes 12 years old. I have been trying to get her into vegies like the vet said so far she eats carrots. I tried spinash and it went horrible (witnessed her violently throw up I am now forever afraid of feeding her spinash as long as I breathe). I tried romanian lettus (hopefully i said the name correcty) but she cant break the leaf or get a bite out of it cause the leaf is stretchy and just wont break. Im DESPERATELY trying to find her better seed since she has a fatty tumor it must be low in fat and due to gout it must be low in protein and no pellets cause thats hard on the kidneys. She has been sick over and over within the past year and i need food to support her immune system. Her current food has 2% fat and around I think 10% protein I need to double check. I tried the store and online but EVERY SEED MIX has either more fat or even more protein its like im trading one bad thing for another. The reason I want to get new seed is because the current one I have has all that nasty artificial coloring and synthetic vitamis and stuff. And the bigger reason being that I have to stand there sorting through the seed when pouring it cause the facility does a terrible job as sorting seeds. I have found sunflower seeds in it and even a peanut once and these weird tiny black seeds and black round ones and this strange stuff that looks like clumps of tiny dust. I keep having to pick it all out and it takes HOURS. I cant take it anymore please help me find an affordable seed thats better. I read in other post and found one called Australian Blend by Goldenfeast. But it has way more fat and protein but better ingredients and stuff that supports the immune system. Im just not sure how dried fruit and vegies will affect her fatty tumor. I normally feed her fresh carrots daily and im trying to get more fresh veggies. So dried fruits and veggies makes me sceptical. Please if anyone knows of a better parakeet/budgie food I can buy link me. Im looking for something I can either order or find in a store im trying to avoid spending over 20 dollars since this would be a monthly expence depending on the size of the food package.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
What is the brand you’re feeding now? I’m confused about the statement you made saying you have to sort through the seed and you pick out all these black seeds... exactly what are the ingredients in your mix? And, exactly what are you picking out?
You may find buying the seeds individually a better option but you’ll need to know what seed has what percentage of nutrients as well as have a good idea of what your birds nutritional needs are so you can make the best mix possible.

I’m not certain but I’m pretty sure sprouts have a higher protein count than they do in seed form- lower fat and more nutrients but also possibly higher protein.

Can you consult with your vet to get an exact diet they’d like to see your bird eating?

redrose27

Strolling the yard
What is the brand you’re feeding now? I’m confused about the statement you made saying you have to sort through the seed and you pick out all these black seeds... exactly what are the ingredients in your mix? And, exactly what are you picking out?
You may find buying the seeds individually a better option but you’ll need to know what seed has what percentage of nutrients as well as have a good idea of what your birds nutritional needs are so you can make the best mix possible.

I’m not certain but I’m pretty sure sprouts have a higher protein count than they do in seed form- lower fat and more nutrients but also possibly higher protein.

Can you consult with your vet to get an exact diet they’d like to see your bird eating?
The last time I saw the vet he recommended more fresh vegstables and exercise. She definietly is getting more exercise. These are the pictures of the current seed that she has. I will have to take pictures in the morning of the things im picking out of her food that I mentioned before. (right now as of this reply its 12:37 am for me) 20210215_150310.jpg 20210215_150304.jpg

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
Check out the brands TrueRoots; sells human grade sprouted quinoa, lentils and mung beans ( I cook this ) and one degree; sells sprouted rolled oats (I cook this too) . I also feed Tops pellets ( no preservatives and is raw and cold pressed ) they are not traffic all pellets (I’d send the Ingredients of tops pellets to your bet to see if it is okay to feed). Also adding milk thistle and dandelion will help out your budgies kidneys. Lafaber senior nutriberries has milk thistle and glutathioneas ingredients to help the kidneys.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Check out the brands TrueRoots; sells human grade sprouted quinoa, lentils and mung beans ( I cook this ) and one degree; sells sprouted rolled oats (I cook this too) . I also feed Tops pellets ( no preservatives and is raw and cold pressed ) they are not traffic all pellets (I’d send the Ingredients of tops pellets to your bet to see if it is okay to feed). Also adding milk thistle and dandelion will help out your budgies kidneys. Lafaber senior nutriberries has milk thistle and glutathioneas ingredients to help the kidneys.

I hope this helps!
I too was going to suggest senior nutriberries. :)

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The Milk Thistle will also help support the poor liver function. I'd check THIS w/ your vet (because I have an amazon & budgies are so small)...

My vet recommended milk thistle drops vrs. seed for support. I'm unsure w/ a budgie what you should use. @Lady Jane - thoughts?

aweb

Meeting neighbors
I have sucessfully converted one quaker and 3 parakeets by doing the following:

1. I make a chopped veggie salad with a combination of several things. Want a list? Keep reading. If not, skip to #2.
Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, spinach, swiss, purple, and rainbow chard, dandelion leaves (from store, not picked wild), kale, bet greens, mustard greens, kohlrabi, kiwi, apple, beets, sweet potato, jalopeno and bell peppers, zucchini and summer squash
Then I add some seeds and seedy things, and grains: chia, sesame, flax, quinoa, poppy, barley, wheat berry, hemp, celery seeds
Throw in some legumes. I love the organic 16 bean mixes, soaked and prepared accordingly. Canned will work.
Lastly, I cook some chickpea pasta just for fun. My borbs love noodles and this gives them the look of noodles minus the noodle carbs.

2. Puree small amount of this mix with a stick blender and a tiny amount of water. If you want to start with a single veggie for this, I suggest sweet potato. Add more as your lifestyle allows. I make tons at a time and freeze it.

3. Smush the disgusting looking smoothie with the seeds they're used to and sprinkle some on top. If the consistency is right it will look like mud cake. I press it good into a dish and smooth out the top. That way I can see if borb did some digging for more of the stuff they want. Lil buddy has no choice but to get a mouth full of the veggie mud cake. The sprinkled seeds are key, they might not go near it of they don't recognize it by sight as familiar food. I graduate the smoothness of the mud cake out, getting coarser as time goes on, until I don't blend it at all, as well as the amount of mixed in seeds until there are no more commercially bought seeds. I always have seedy things in the veggie salad anyway, so they're not deprived of them. I feed the salad in the morning, and a commercially produced pellet mid-late afternoon. One little munchkin took only a week to convert, but one took a whole month. I go slow and follow the pace of the bird.

Bonus: I convert to one thing at a time. Once a good veggie diet is established, I do the same with pellets. I grind some pellets into powder and sprinkle on the veggies until used to the taste. I find that offering these meals while the family is eating in the bird's sight helps with the social aspect of sharing meals and makes these transitions faster. They *want* to eat while everyone else eats. The other thing I do, even if the bird is not bonded to me, is that I pretend to nibble from their food bowl as I'm putting it down. Gets my quaker to try new things too, especially if I pretend it's mine and she can't have any.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I fed milk thistle seed mixed with other seeds for quality and not liver issues. My budgies never had an issue with liver values that I knew of. I would say it cant hurt to give both the tincture along with the seeds.

I bought a few of the healthier seeds on this site: Seeds — Nuts.com milk thistle, flax, celery, millet, chia and hemp.

Last edited:

redrose27

Strolling the yard
@Lady Jane @aweb @Rain Bow @sunnysmom @Blueberry Thank you everyone for your suggestions the Seeds-Nuts.com is nice but too expencive for me when you add up the prices of multiple seeds. As for Tops Pellets I will look into it (for now im not having her eat pellets yet since they are hard on the kidneys and she has gout). And as for True Root I will look into that as well after she is cured of gout since sprouted seeds have more protein and I heard I should avoid that if she has gout. My main thing now is trying to feed her better food thats more natural. The Nutriberries Ive seen before what worries me is fat content when labeled on the bag. Im worried that if a bag has more fat content the fatty tumor would get worse. Im thinking of calling the vet to bum his opinion on all this. Thank you for your replies im so sorry I replied late to you all my brother came down for a few days cause its my moms birthday.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Have you thought about sprouting seeds? That's healthy for birds.