• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Guessing age/gender of cockatiel?

Ellado3

Moving in
Real Name
Ella
I just got my “baby/young” cockatiel! I totally forgot to ask about how old he/she actually is! Any guesses? Also I know you can’t really predict gender before first molt but what do you think? The lady where I got him/her felt around it’s vent and said it’s likely male!

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a cutie, congratulations! Is he/she fully weaned? Other than seeming young, it’s too hard to tell the age or gender at this point.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I totally forgot to ask about how old he/she actually is! Any guesses?
Call the breeder/store and ask ;) They should have a record of sale and the birds details.

Congrats, and Welcome to the Avenue! :bliss:

Ellado3

Moving in
Real Name
Ella
Call the breeder/store and ask ;) They should have a record of sale and the birds details.

Congrats, and Welcome to the Avenue! :bliss:
Was going to do this but they have weird open hours. They are open on Monday though so I will call!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Such a cutie. I think she/he is a normal grey mutation. Which means that as he molts, if he's a boy, his face will become more yellow. Like the birds in my signature. If a girl, it will stay like it is. As for age- over 8 weeks but I'd say no more that 4 months. That's a guess though.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
If you look under the wings you can determine gender. For babies under 6 months old the spots go straight to the body for a female and stop halfway in a male. Of course there are rare instances where this does not hold true. There is a book by Susanne Russo that also explains sexing some of the harder mutations. Of course you can also send the dna out to www.iqbirdtesting.com for $13.