• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Green Cheek Conure Broken Leg - Advice/Opinions/Reassurance?

Milothegcc

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi there,

Unfortunately, our 2 month old green cheek conure got a little too excited, flew around frantically and hit one of our tall shelving units. This happened about 3 weeks ago, we took him to the vet, who splinted his left leg and he's been recovering. I have copies of his initial xray and a follow up (attached) that happened just a few days ago. While the bones are healing, it looks like the bones were positioned to heal over each other instead of towards each other. Basically instead of the bones healing in a straight line where the break is, the bones are beside each other and healing together "sideways." This is not the best description so I've attached a picture of the follow-up x-ray in hopes that it clears up what I am trying to explain.

The vet didn't show any concerns for the way it's healing, just said it needs a couple more weeks before we can take the splint off. I am not really soliciting what I should going forward, but rather would love to hear if anyone has any recovery stories to put my mind at ease. I've shown some family members the x-rays and they seem to be concerned about how they set up the splint. I trust this vet, but of course just want the best for our bird.

My question is, do you think the way the splint is set up will promote healthy recovery/healing for Milo in the future? Does anyone have similar xrays or situations with their bird that can share their experience short and long term? Any feedback on your experiences would be greatly appreciated!!!

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bump