• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gooey yellow poop, but only once?

mrbme

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi there! I adopted a 3-month-old budgie girl about 5 days ago. She is starting to adjust to her cage and get comfortable with my presence, she eats great, and seems generally healthy aside from a bit of dry sneezing (my apartment is a bit dry in the winter and she’s molting). Two days ago, I noticed something gooey and yellow stuck to her vent. She must have noticed it too, because she immediately preened it off, but it was so sticky that it snapped back like a booger and stuck to her wing until she preened it off again. That was two days ago, and every other poop has been entirely normal and I’ve noticed no behavior changes. It did have a white urate and did not smell. I’m a first time owner and am not quite sure about red flags yet - just looking for an indication of what might have caused this! Pictures are attached. The first is of the poop in question (the round thing in the middle is a seed) and the second is what every other poop has looked like since. Thanks!

Attachments

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Not sure about the yellow poo, but the others look fine. Pay attention to her behavior, energy, eating, drinking, and of course pooping. It can take birds a bit of time (a few weeks or so) to adjust to a new home....so the poop, in the first photo, may have been from stress. Be observant (it sounds like you are). A well bird visit with an avian vet is a good idea. Where are you located?

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
Not an expert but I do know that undigested full seeds in poop are never a good sign. But since she's great now, I would probably just keep an eye on her to see if the yellow poops come back.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
What does she eat? Poops often reflect what's been eaten so a vegetable, fruit? More likely fruit being so icky.
Her general poops do look good so just keep an eye on her

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It's always good to get wellness check, write everything down you want to ask, show your vet the pic and if you can take a fresh poo sample with you, :hug8: