• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gold & Blue Macaw

Marc Marshall

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Marc
Help!!!!! My bird is walking up and down the top of his 8 ft cage continually saying "hello"! Every few seconds...he can say 130 words...why the hell is he doing this...he is 19 but I have had him a year...he is breaking my spirit...please help

m

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Does he have toys to play with? Is there something that he sees that he wants? Can you distract him with something else?

@Hankmacaw ?

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
He likes the sound of 'hello' so he just keeps saying it.

Kalea will say one word or sound over and over and over also. That is just her and what she wants to do. With her, she can vary the tone different ways, like with La-La's it is almost like she is asking it in a question form at times and she has me trained very well where I repeat it back the same way she said it. :hehe:

I personally don't mind when she keeps repeating a single word or sound, at least I know she is happy enough to do it and to me, that is what matters.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please explain what you mean by breaking your spirit. Also a description of what you are doing for enrichment of this very intelligent bird.

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Because he likes to say "hello?"

Picking a word with sounds they enjoy and repeating it ad infinitum sounds like very typical parrot behavior to me.

It's kind of a common joke among parrot people that everybody says they want a talking parrot, until they actually have one.

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Have fun with that. :D
That definitely isn't a major issue considering what a Mac can do when upset/something is wrong. :joyful:
Toys, some training and play time, plus good diet and adequate sleep and your boy should be good to go and the constant hellos should ease up...although I can't really see how that's a real issue. :joyful:
Thank you for adopting .:)

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I find the more vocal and active a bird is, the happier it is. Take vocalization as a positive thing :). But the way you describe him sounds obsessive and neurotic. Does he have multiple options of play? To keep him busy, you'll need complicated foraging toys capable of withstanding a macaw's beak. Plenty of these, and different toys will lessen these behaviors. But macaws are incredibly intelligent animals, he should have plenty of out time along with enrichment inside the cage. Don't expect these vocalizations to stop, they may lessen, but a parrot is a parrot. All about compromise, it's why most parrot owners are half deaf :laugh:.

BlueThroatMacaw

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zac
There is no issue with this, it is normal mac behaviour. You seem very exasperated, is something else the matter? Can you not get him down? If you are distressed about him saying one word when he knows 130, he just likes to say hello because he thinks it is a nice sound. Give him some toys and some more interaction time and it should solve and occupy him!