• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC brothers agressive behaviour

HarrietGC

Moving in
Hi everyone. I have two green cheek conure brothers named Tokio and Hero, and they are 10 months old. The subject of this post is that I’m starting to get more and more concerned about their behaviour towards each other, specifically Tokio towards Hero.

Tokio has started to become quite aggressive towards Hero, but only usually when food is involved. For example, If I give them a seed Tokio will gobble his down in record speed, then chase his brother away whilst puffing himself up and ensuring that he’s next in line for another (he never is though as we make sure Hero gets a treat next!). This scenario is happening more often than it used to, and is becoming more aggressive.

On another occasion there have been a couple of times when I’ve taken the covers off of their sleeping cage, and Tokio has instantly started to chase poor Hero around the cage and has bitten him. This is very rare, but it has been enough to get us worrying. Nowadays I make sure that the cage door is open before they get out of their groggy wake up phase.

One other thing I’ve noticed is that when I enter a room that they’re in, Tokio will clock my presence then suddenly start pushing and kicking his bother. It’s as if he’s acting up, and I wonder if this is also food related as maybe he thinks it’s time for a treat and some attention.

I’m concerned that these episodes are starting to ware Hero down, as he is very sensitive and reacts so much more so to noise and disturbances than his mean, greedy brother. If Tokio starts the day badly by chasing him or pecking him, it seems to set him off on the wrong foot all day.

Despite all of these negative experiences I’ve mentioned, 98% of the time they are fantastic together! Joined at the hip, play fighting (we break it up if it looks like it’s turning south!), preening each other, snuggling, all of the good stuff that makes my heart melt and I literally can’t take my eyes off of them because it’s just too cute.

So what I want to know is could these issues be the start of something much bigger? I’ve heard that parrots can turn once they begin to mature and their hormones start to factor into their behaviour. Should we be prepared for the worst and consider separating them? That idea breaks my heart as it is clear that they do love each other, but is it worth Hero suffering during that 2% of the time? Or is this all just typical sibling behaviour?

For a bit of background on their living spaces they are out of the cage for 10 hours a day, either in their room or in the living room with me whilst I work. So they have plenty of space to fly around and do their own thing without being in close proximity of each other if they don’t want to be. We then put them into their sleeping cage to wind down and have their dinner for an hour or 2, then it’s bedtime for 12 hours. In those last 2 hours they don’t fight, just nibble toys, eat, and snuggle.

Thank you to anyone that has taken the time to read this long post, it’s greatly appreciated! (Picture of boys included when they’re being sweet!)

Attachments

Nitai

Meeting neighbors
This isn't uncommon behavior... I had some birds last year and they would literally fight for domination over the food box... I separated them as the way they were heading it seemed as if they would reach the south pole :D.
I'd recommend you try to feed them separately if they are fine with eachother in normal circumstances.

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
I may very well have to deal with this in the future. I was told to always give treats at the same time and to make sure they have separate food bowls.

I have two caique brothers and they get along fine food wise but they are only 5 months old too. Caiques are notoriously food aggressive.

Please update the thread if you figure out a solution that works for your two, I am curious!

HarrietGC

Moving in
This isn't uncommon behavior... I had some birds last year and they would literally fight for domination over the food box... I separated them as the way they were heading it seemed as if they would reach the south pole :D.
I'd recommend you try to feed them separately if they are fine with eachother in normal circumstances.
Thank you Nitai, I think seperating them at meal times is definitely the first step! I hope that Tokio's behaviour improves and separating them will never have to be an option.

HarrietGC

Moving in
I may very well have to deal with this in the future. I was told to always give treats at the same time and to make sure they have separate food bowls.

I have two caique brothers and they get along fine food wise but they are only 5 months old too. Caiques are notoriously food aggressive.

Please update the thread if you figure out a solution that works for your two, I am curious!
I will definitely let you know if separate feeding solves our issues! We have been giving them treats at the same time and it's never been a problem until recently. Tokio has always been the most greedy and will finish his treat twice as quickly as Hero, resulting in him desperately grasping for the next one as if he's never been fed! I wonder if it has something to do with them feeling more at ease with us and their surroundings, so Tokio's true bossy self is becoming more apparent!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You are going to have to keep a close watch on them. I've had siblings together for many years and they were generally fine but then they started chasing each other and fighting. I wound up having to separate them. They can be together outside of their cages under supervision. You may need to separate them at some point because you want to avoid things getting worse and one or both of the birds getting injured.