• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Fourth day of being a newbie cockatiel owner [4-Months-old]

oromichi

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Michelle Oroño
Hello everyone!

I'm Michelle. I was born in Venezuela, but I moved to Mexico 2 years ago. Lovely and amazing country to be honest!

Sadly, here in Mexico City, my boyfriend and I weren't able to find any bird breeders, so we bought our new baby from Petco.

Here is Roderick, workers at Petco told us that he's a 4 month old male cockatiel. He's been currently living with us for a total of 4 days now!

He got very stressed in his cage when he arrived, so at the second day I opened the cage so he can fly and explore our apartment.

Important notes:
  • Roderick already eats millet (spike) from our hands, but he's still afraid of them.
  • He doesn't get scared when we walk very close near him
  • Eats his cocktail mixed seeds but he only ingests the tiny seeds (doesn't touch sunflower seeds or medium sized seeds)
  • He can fly but he's extremely clumsy! I think he's learning...
  • I can get my face like an inch away from him to throw him kisses but he doesn't like hands (My hands haven got progressively closer to him though)
  • Roderick is very quiet, he only chirps a little couple times when he's still and does calling sounds several times each time he flies.
  • My partner got to tap one of his feet once and he didn't have negative response.
  • Extra: my bf is a musician, he sings and plays guitar at Roderick regularly and Rory seems to listen joyfully.
  • We also put jazz music to him.
My worries and concerns are:
  • He's been very calm and still ,but progressively more active as the days pass by. (He walks and flies but he stays very still for pretty long periods tough) I would like to know if there are any signs to be worried about.
  • The fact that my face can get closer to him than my hands worries me as well.
If you have any tips to take care of this baby please go ahead, I'm a bird fan but I'm new at this too. Rory sends kisses to everyone!

IMG-20231124-WA0006.jpg

Last edited:

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Welcome!
It sounds like for the most part your baby is still settling in. It can take some time for them to get comfortable in a new environment. And patience is key when trying to interact with them and get them comfortable with your hands and such. It’s good he’s eating out of your hands tho! I don’t have any experience with cockatiels but I’m sure someone on here who does will be stopping by the post soon and can give some better, more specific advice.

Cali

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Janet
Hello and Welcome! Congratulations on getting your new birdie! Cockatiels are just the sweetest :heart:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya: