• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Forced to stay in a hotel with handfed parrots! Advice needed.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
hello, so in a few days I will be staying in a hotel (family gathering) I would prefer to stay home but it is mandatory and unfortunately I am unable to NOT attend it. Well the hotel is around 10-20 minutes away and the babies are around 2-3 weeks old. I will be taking them in an Rcom KingSuro as there is no way i am taking my gigantic brooder with me.

I tried to look for someone that could take care of them but unfortunately everyone that has experience is either out of town or sick and I don't think i can trust people with little to no experience in handfeeding. Any suggestions on what I could do? If i am forced to bring them i will be bringing a baby bottle warmer (I use it to keep their food warm while feeding and to heat up water to mix with the formula), syringes, a scale, the formula, and other stuff i use for feeding.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Well that is quite the pickle. What species are the birds? How long is this family gathering? Will you be able to slip away to check on them?
Will a baby bottle warmer bring water to boil? A travel kettle could be a better choice.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Well that is quite the pickle. What species are the birds? How long is this family gathering? Will you be able to slip away to check on them?
Will a baby bottle warmer bring water to boil? A travel kettle could be a better choice.
Yes it will bring the water to boil, and i will also be using bottled water anyway. They are lovebirds. It is 2 nights. The family gathering is more like being with family rather than an event so i am mostly free the whole day just hanging out in the hotel with family. A kettle is actually provided there so im just using the warmer to keep the food at 40C.

MarimaChan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marissa
hello, so in a few days I will be staying in a hotel (family gathering) I would prefer to stay home but it is mandatory and unfortunately I am unable to NOT attend it. Well the hotel is around 10-20 minutes away and the babies are around 2-3 weeks old. I will be taking them in an Rcom KingSuro as there is no way i am taking my gigantic brooder with me.

I tried to look for someone that could take care of them but unfortunately everyone that has experience is either out of town or sick and I don't think i can trust people with little to no experience in handfeeding. Any suggestions on what I could do? If i am forced to bring them i will be bringing a baby bottle warmer (I use it to keep their food warm while feeding and to heat up water to mix with the formula), syringes, a scale, the formula, and other stuff i use for feeding.
how often do you feed them?

MarimaChan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marissa
Currently every 4 hours
is there a way you can stay a few hours then go back to the hotel and feed them, then return to the event? I remember when I had to do that for my baby finches. you should bring a heating pad and blanket too and keep it on low for warmth, don't worry they will be okay.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
is there a way you can stay a few hours then go back to the hotel and feed them, then return to the event? I remember when I had to do that for my baby finches. you should bring a heating pad and blanket too and keep it on low for warmth, don't worry they will be okay.
It is more like a family gathering so we stay mostly at the hotel fortunately so i won’t need to travel. I am able to bring the brooder/bator with me so heat shouldnt be a problem. The only question i have is what about the heat (lack thereof) when i they are in the car?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can you use a heating pad (hot water bottle, rice or wheat type heated bag or the gel ones you can freeze or boil) for the car?

I’m not sure of the type of hotel you’re staying at but I’d honestly be extremely concerned about the chemicals in the air at a hotel. You have no control over that and they generally use a lot of toxic chemicals to clean and also to scent the place- there’s also other guests spraying hairspray, deodorant and perfume.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I think you will be fine, just bring everything that you would normally use at home to feed them and keep them warm. Also, tissues, paper towels, dish soap and anything you need for cleaning.

I actually traveled with two of my babies who where about the same age. I fed them in the car a few times too so the hotels were a breeze.

I too used bottled water, took my own kettle and I have a heated cup for in the car that could heat water. I used new syringes in the car and then disinfected them when I stopped at the hotel. I also made sure to put up the do not disturb sign and requested not to have the room serviced as I did not want anyone in there or cleaning or spraying anything. It honestly worked out great and I would do it again without hesitation.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Can you use a heating pad (hot water bottle, rice or wheat type heated bag or the gel ones you can freeze or boil) for the car?

I’m not sure of the type of hotel you’re staying at but I’d honestly be extremely concerned about the chemicals in the air at a hotel. You have no control over that and they generally use a lot of toxic chemicals to clean and also to scent the place- there’s also other guests spraying hairspray, deodorant and perfume.
This is true as well. I made sure to stay a places that didn't use scents to cover odors. Other than that it was fine. Definitely something to be careful about though.

Diveks

Walking the driveway

They shouldn't be using any scents there as the last time i went there it just smelt like furniture. i think ill bring some water bottles for the car ride then!
I think you will be fine, just bring everything that you would normally use at home to feed them and keep them warm. Also, tissues, paper towels, dish soap and anything you need for cleaning.

I actually traveled with two of my babies who where about the same age. I fed them in the car a few times too so the hotels were a breeze.

I too used bottled water, took my own kettle and I have a heated cup for in the car that could heat water. I used new syringes in the car and then disinfected them when I stopped at the hotel. I also made sure to put up the do not disturb sign and requested not to have the room serviced as I did not want anyone in there or cleaning or spraying anything. It honestly worked out great and I would do it again without hesitation.
This is true as well. I made sure to stay a places that didn't use scents to cover odors. Other than that it was fine. Definitely something to be careful about though.
Oh yeah last time i went there no parfumes ect were used as it is not a fancy hotel. The only issue is that i dont think they are pet friendly, I would need a way to bring them in and out of the room. Thankfully at this age they barely make any noise especially when kept full. Keeping the TV on should drown out the sound, I just need a bag that could house the bator, maybe a gym bag would do :think1:.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
They shouldn't be using any scents there as the last time i went there it just smelt like furniture. i think ill bring some water bottles for the car ride then!

Oh yeah last time i went there no parfumes ect were used as it is not a fancy hotel. The only issue is that i dont think they are pet friendly, I would need a way to bring them in and out of the room. Thankfully at this age they barely make any noise especially when kept full. Keeping the TV on should drown out the sound, I just need a bag that could house the bator, maybe a gym bag would do :think1:.
That is what I did. My brooder looks like a cooler so that was not an issue for me. Most people don't ask any questions as long as you blend in an look like you know what you are doing. I left the TV on all day too. Mine did get a little loud occasionally but no one bothered us.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
That is what I did. My brooder looks like a cooler so that was not an issue for me. Most people don't ask any questions as long as you blend in an look like you know what you are doing. I left the TV on all day too. Mine did get a little loud occasionally but no one bothered us.
Got the babies and the bator in the hotel in an IKEA bag. the ride was smooth i used some water bottles that kept the babies warm the whole ride. The incubator top keeps their sound down when begging. The hotel used no sprays whatsoever so thats great!

Joe Henderson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson

Hope everything went well, I see you used a rcom, I’ve been trying to find info about the bird carriers for like years, no one I can find has one I was begging to thing they didn’t exist , where did you get yours ?