• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foods safe for myself and my birds?

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm looking for some ideas of foods I can make that I can also give to my birds (conure, parakeets, bourkes). For example I just saw a great idea of adding some frozen veggies to pancake mix to make a healthy treat for parrots. I think this is a great idea because I can make some plain pancakes for myself and then throw some veggies in and make some for the birds. Living alone it's difficult cooking for one so I think it would be great to find some recipes that I can make for myself and then also tweak a little bit to give some to my birds. I think I'm going to try a spaghetti squash recipe sometime and that's also something that before I add sauce or anything I can set some aside for my birds. I think less would be wasted and I'd be more likely to cook more often.

Thanks for any suggestions!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Remember, no salt for the bird portion:)
Get a low sodium organic pancake mix.

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
We love non-flour noodles and organic spaghetti sauce (spiraled veggies as noodles or ancient grain noodles like quinoa noodles or something)
Also beans and rice or an ancient grain, add in some herbs and it's delicious for everyone! Another option is to make a chopped salad without dressing, add it to yours as needed :)

Grace

Meeting neighbors
Baked sweet potato. I just bake them in the skin and scoop out a portion for the birds. My guys are smallso I mash it up. Also if you buy frozen veggies with no seasoning added, you can scoop out just whatever you need for the bird or for a serving for you. I also buy those bags of salad that are called spring mix. Great greens for the birds and great for salad for me.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Remember, no salt for the bird portion:)
Get a low sodium organic pancake mix.
I was going to try one of the recipes that uses bananas, I've been looking up ways to make the batter that will be good for the birds. Thanks for the reminder!

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Also beans and rice or an ancient grain, add in some herbs and it's delicious for everyone! :)
My birds LOVE rice! I bring plain brown rice to work with me every night and sometimes I'll sprinkle some on their food. Rice is one of the first things I got them to eat when I was trying to switch them to a pellet/ fresh diet.

I have though about making them beans but I read it can be bad for them if not cooked properly? I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry and haven't given them any. They love sprouted beans/ seeds though

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Baked sweet potato. I just bake them in the skin and scoop out a portion for the birds. My guys are smallso I mash it up. Also if you buy frozen veggies with no seasoning added, you can scoop out just whatever you need for the bird or for a serving for you. I also buy those bags of salad that are called spring mix. Great greens for the birds and great for salad for me.
I always keep a bag of frozen veggies on hand just in case I need something "fresh" (not pellets) to give them or to add to their chop. They love peas. I almost always have some kind of spring mix that I add to their chop. I put sweet potatoes in their chop so I'm not sure if I should give them anymore of that.