• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fire

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
We have many Airbnb places opening up offering their homes for free and lots of donations of food to the volunteers and evacuated people. Our communities really come together to support each other during these times but unfortunately it is often not quite enough :(
There was an article yesterday about black kites, whistling kites and another type of bird of prey that use fire to their advantage by spreading the burning sticks into fresh grass areas to make catching prey easy. I’ll see if I can find it as it was quite interesting.
You can really tell the good places from the bad in catastrophes, some places were offering free coffees and meals where as other shops were selling water bottles for 10$. :tmsmakesme:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I heard over half a billion animals have died so far :crycry:
I do believe they’ve included a lot of the livestock that farmers had to put down as their injuries were too severe..... the numbers are terrifying and very very heartbreaking! It really hits home seeing how many koalas are again pictured accepting water considering they don’t usually need to drink.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
It's heartwarming to people are coming together :heart:

Hopefully this link works.... if not I’ll find another.
It's crazy how smart they are!! But also sad in terms of what might have a been a sustainable behaviour might not be now thanks to global warming. I guess it's too soon to say how much impact these firehawks are having in the containment of the fires. I hope not that much.

Since falling in love with cockatoos I've wanted to visit Australia and that part of the world. Indonesia is where my Zane and Echo are from. Indonesia's capital Jakarta has major flooding right now. Again global warming seems to be the culprit for making natural disasters so more extreme. That whole region of the world has such unique and wonderful wildlife and ecosystems. I sincerely hope that they can recover and not be irreparably damage because of the environmental impact people have caused

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
It's heartwarming to people are coming together :heart:

It's crazy how smart they are!! But also sad in terms of what might have a been a sustainable behaviour might not be now thanks to global warming. I guess it's too soon to say how much impact these firehawks are having in the containment of the fires. I hope not that much.

Since falling in love with cockatoos I've wanted to visit Australia and that part of the world. Indonesia is where my Zane and Echo are from. Indonesia's capital Jakarta has major flooding right now. Again global warming seems to be the culprit for making natural disasters so more extreme. That whole region of the world has such unique and wonderful wildlife and ecosystems. I sincerely hope that they can recover and not be irreparably damage because of the environmental impact people have caused
You ever get here you let me know! I’ll take you to places where you can see flocks of hundreds and sometimes thousands of cockatoos galahs and corellas. And of course you’d have to meet and play with Burt!!! ;)

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
You ever get here you let me know! I’ll take you to places where you can see flocks of hundreds and sometimes thousands of cockatoos galahs and corellas. And of course you’d have to meet and play with Burt!!! ;)
I would so love that!! :heart::heart::heart: I'd probably have to win the lottery. Right now in Ontario we have Lotto Max and its the highest it's ever been. 70 million:faint: I'm definitely getting a ticket :D

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
That's crazy!!
Crazy and interesting how smart they are! I love watching them but I’m sure glad that I’ve actually never witnessed them spreading fires..... that would blow my mind away I think!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
And in the middle of all of these fires our president went to Hawaii :tmsmakesme:
I’m only using the sad option because there is no angry one! Lol
I wouldn’t expect much more from our prime minister though to be honest

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Where I live fire was a severe concern for a number of years until we kicked the enviro-terrorists out and insisted that our forests be managed and cleaned up and lots of controlled burns. For the past few years we have not had a bad fire in AZ (except one that was a desert fire) and did not do a lot of damage.

You guys are like California. Everything in Aus has gobs of oils and burns like a blow torch. I'm so very sorry that the fire effected you and your loved ones and so glad that you got out safely.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
So sorry for your losses but I am glad to hear everyone is out of the danger zone now. Be safe, we are thinking of all you guys here in Canada.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad your all ok! I've seen these horrible fires on the news,,,:sorrow:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2: :omg:Glad everyone is safe. I called Mom...Fires in NSW even on KI...She told me the wind blew over a ton firetruck & a fireman got killed. He leaves behind his pregnant wife...Also some people died in there cars trying to get away...Very sad indeed horrific so glad all your loved ones & animals are OK...Lucky you had a beach where they could get water...In the outback there is hardly enough water to drink so they let some fires in scrub burn out by themselves sometimes...

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Eucalyptus...high volatile oil content...burns hot & smoky odor is worse...Alot of CA scrub also is high in oils...Both places are in a drought too...everything is dry.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
All this is so terrible. My thoughts are with all that have been effected and those that are trying to control it. :sadhug2:

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
:sadhug2: :omg:Glad everyone is safe. I called Mom...Fires in NSW even on KI...She told me the wind blew over a ton firetruck & a fireman got killed. He leaves behind his pregnant wife...Also some people died in there cars trying to get away...Very sad indeed horrific so glad all your loved ones & animals are OK...Lucky you had a beach where they could get water...In the outback there is hardly enough water to drink so they let some fires in scrub burn out by themselves sometimes...
Yeah a man who lived only a few farms away from me was found dead in his car probably after trying to escape. The other day when we were driving away I saw the car it was heartbreaking.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
How sad...I can;t & don;t want to imagine death by fire but hopefully the smoke got him first.
Where do you live? I guess Mom heard about it on the news,,The firetruck was 5 tons that was blown over not a ton... We had a firetruck get swept into the river trying to cross about a decade ago too. They had to get a helicopter to take people out,,,Soem of thsoe firemen are volunteers...