• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fire

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Hey everyone I thought I would let you all know about what’s being happening lately.

We had major fire issues starting a couple weeks ago and ended up having to evacuate down to the beach (all the high ways were closed)

Honestly it was probably one of the scariest experiences in my life (and that says a lot) it got really dark at around 10am and you could see the flames over the hill. The smoke was overbearing and I was TERRIFIED for Yoshis safety with the huge amount of smoke. I ended up having to put him in a friend of a friend of a friends house when the smoke got so bad you could hardly breathe.

We are all safe now and on our way to Sydney to stay with friends far away from the fires for a couple weeks. Luckily Yoshi is totally fine and not damaged at all. (Although I will take him to see a vet when we arrive and settle in just to make sure).

We lost the laundry and Yoshis room which had pretty much all of his stuff in it :no:. We also lost the horse stables and a shed that had farm equipment in it (including a brand new ride on mower:sad7:)

Most of all I’m just glad we are all safe and everyone survived. Yoshi has been handling it ridiculously well and seems to actually enjoy all the travelling and new places.

My girlfriend came to stay with us before the fires started and has been trapped here for the whole ordeal poor thing!

Here are some pictures of what we saw from where we were on the beach and some cute pictures of Yoshi been a good boy in his temporary cage. (Once we are back home I’ll buy him a huge flight cage)

1578010290276.jpeg

1578010478270.jpeg

1578010518270.jpeg
1578010594736.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'm so glad you are all OK!!! How terrifying!
Just remember the things you lost were only things and what matters is that your girlfriends, Yoshi and yourself are all safe :hug9:

Those pics are insane :(

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh my gosh. I’m so sorry!!! These fires are absolutely terrible :(
I didn’t realise you were in the danger zone, I sure am glad you’re all ok.
I have a few friends being affected by the smoke but they are well out of the fire zone- the smoke is bad but the fires causing it is much worse.
Please keep us updated about your personal situation and call out if there is anything anyone can offer assistance with :hug8:

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:omg: I didn't realize you were in that area. How terrifying. I'm so sorry this is happening but I'm very glad you all got to safety. Sending much love. I hope the situation improves fast :hug8:I hope you didn't lose any horses? :scrstf:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our local news was showing footage of the many people that had to evacuate to the beach. I was hoping this did not include anyone from AA. I'm so sorry you had to go through this and lost so much but am relieved to know you were able to safely get away. My thoughts will be with you all. Stay safe.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
I'm so glad you are all OK!!! How terrifying!
Just remember the things you lost were only things and what matters is that your girlfriends, Yoshi and yourself are all safe :hug9:

Those pics are insane :(
Yep that’s what matters the most. :heart:

Oh my gosh. I’m so sorry!!! These fires are absolutely terrible :(
I didn’t realise you were in the danger zone, I sure am glad you’re all ok.
I have a few friends being affected by the smoke but they are well out of the fire zone- the smoke is bad but the fires causing it is much worse.
Please keep us updated about your personal situation and call out if there is anything anyone can offer assistance with :hug8:
I will make sure to keep you all updated and yes the smoke is horrific it took me a few days to feel like I was breathing properly.

I've been wondering about our Australian members. How terrifying! I'm sorry you had damages. Is your girlfriend okay?
She’s fine, she took it really well and was super supportive. :heart::xflove:
:omg: I didn't realize you were in that area. How terrifying. I'm so sorry this is happening but I'm very glad you all got to safety. Sending much love. I hope the situation improves fast :hug8:I hope you didn't lose any horses? :scrstf:
Thank you:hug8:

The horses are totally fine and we’re evacuated before the fires came.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Our local news was showing footage of the many people that had to evacuate to the beach. I was hoping this did not include anyone from AA. I'm so sorry you had to go through this and lost so much but am relieved to know you were able to safely get away. My thoughts will be with you all. Stay safe.
Yeah there were lots of news reporters at the gas station (the whole area had run out of petrol because the trucks couldn’t access the area)

I wonder how they accessed the beaches, the reason people went there was because the roads we’re closed off. :chin:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
How frightening! So glad that you and Yoshi are safe.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
So sorry you were caught up in this. I can’t imagine how scary it was. Glad you are all safe. Things can be replaced lives can’t

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Gosh... beyond frightening and stressful. I'm so sorry you've had this terrible situation... as well as your country! Our local and national news has covered the fires in Australia. My heart and prayers are with you all including the wildlife so precious to Australia. I too, wondered if any of our members were affected by the fires. I'm glad you are safe and Yoshi is doing well. God's Blessings!!!!!!!

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
My heart breaks for Australia :sad4: The videos and pictures coming out of places affected are just horrific. The latest I read was that wildlife rescuers were mostly euthanizing animals as most cases are pretty hopeless. Its hard not to feel desperate, but I hope and pray for all involved that this ends soon.

@Yoshi&Raphi I'm so glad you and Yoshi are ok and have a place to go. :hug8:
Stay safe!!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
We have many Airbnb places opening up offering their homes for free and lots of donations of food to the volunteers and evacuated people. Our communities really come together to support each other during these times but unfortunately it is often not quite enough :(
There was an article yesterday about black kites, whistling kites and another type of bird of prey that use fire to their advantage by spreading the burning sticks into fresh grass areas to make catching prey easy. I’ll see if I can find it as it was quite interesting.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I was hoping all our AA folks were OK. Just seeing all those pictures and hearing the stories is terrifying.
I'm so glad to hear you and Yoshi are safe.
What we had in California was monstrous, I don't even know how you would put into words what is happening where you are.
And hearing the stories of koalas, bats, kangaroos, some endangered birds...all of it. It's so sad
Do you know if @Lodah , Olive and dear Pilo are in the danger zone? I think he's NSW.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I was of the belief that @Lodah was more in the city area..... I sure hope so or that he and the beauties are no where near the fires- haven’t seen him on in a while :eeeek: