• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fire

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
We've had to shower our sun conure 3+ times a day during the hot weather! It reached 45 degrees C indoors since we have no air conditioner (we live out western Sydney). Bought an air purifier which is running 24/7 and made use of the cool day yesterday by opening all the windows. Glad it rained a little but not enough :( I'm constantly checking the air quality gov site to see when it is safe to open the windows, it can get very stuffy indoors.

I hope the rest of the Australians here are doing well and staying safe!
That must be very stuffy! Maybe you could try a fan with a cold wet towel over it directed at the sun conures area to help them stay cool?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Fires around my Mom were better today..Seems they got one out & the danger area was less but they are about 30 miles away,,,

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Urg!! I was just on Facebook and the images coming out of Australia are just horrific! :sad5: Last ones I saw were from a gallery of dead birds, mostly parrots that burnt and then washed up on a beach. And I can't over the estimated numbers too. Seriously my heart breaks for all who suffered. :heart::sad1::heart:

One of my favorite things about this forum is how global it is. I especially love learning things from places that have native parrots in them. We are fortunate to a fair amount of Aussies here. I really appreciate learning about their culture and wildlife. So to all my Aussies friends here thankyou for that. I wish there was more do to help, other than to offer thoughts and prayers. I did just donated what I could to an Australian Wildlife charity as a small gesture to how much I love your country even though I've never been there. I guess I just wanted to let you guys all know your on my mind alot and there's a world full of people praying for you.
:heart::hug9::heart:
Stay safe, safe strong!

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
How are you, Olive, and Pilo doing, @Lodah ? Hoping to hear from you and that all is well :hug9:

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
How are you, Olive, and Pilo doing, @Lodah ? Hoping to hear from you and that all is well :hug9:
We are doing well! It’s going to take six to twelve months to rebuild our house so we are staying in a rental in the meantime.

It’s very open so Yoshis loving being able to fly around in such a huge area and omg, I have never seen so many cockatoos in one place! Flocks of hundreds of them will fly over your head and every morning and afternoon there’s choruses of them. I don’t know how you too owners do it! They are deafening in the open space let alone in a house!

I was taking the dogs for their afternoon walk and I saw a few of them playing on a spinning object on someone’s house, they would jump on it spin around in circles gleefully before jumping off so another one can have a go.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you for asking @Hjarta5 , as you know the fires have had a devastating effect on the bush and wild life and limited our traveling dramatically (lots of closures) Pilo is as happy as always (spoilt rotten) and maintains his usual banter of " Wheres my big boy, Wheres my kisses, Wheres my baby, Wheres my ice cream... ect ect ect! Due to the recent smoke... we have kept him indoors (more than he would like) and you get those puppy eyes when we tell him that we will be back as soon as we can! Im sure he knows that its for the better and we have loaded his cage (even more so) with toys, puzzles and lots of food, so all in all... Pilo is still very active and happy! Olive and I keep busy with photography and work related aspects, so nothing has changed all that much!

We are experiencing floods in our area at the moment... massive turn around, so that is another issue that we have to deal with! Pilo loves this of course as he can travel with us and keep an eye out for us to keep us safe! He is quite the alarm bell system! :roflmao:

Hoping that all is well with yourself and family!

Kindest regards as always!

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Thank you for asking @Hjarta5 , as you know the fires have had a devastating effect on the bush and wild life and limited our traveling dramatically (lots of closures) Pilo is as happy as always (spoilt rotten) and maintains his usual banter of " Wheres my big boy, Wheres my kisses, Wheres my baby, Wheres my ice cream... ect ect ect! Due to the recent smoke... we have kept him indoors (more than he would like) and you get those puppy eyes when we tell him that we will be back as soon as we can! Im sure he knows that its for the better and we have loaded his cage (even more so) with toys, puzzles and lots of food, so all in all... Pilo is still very active and happy! Olive and I keep busy with photography and work related aspects, so nothing has changed all that much!

We are experiencing floods in our area at the moment... massive turn around, so that is another issue that we have to deal with! Pilo loves this of course as he can travel with us and keep an eye out for us to keep us safe! He is quite the alarm bell system! :roflmao:

Hoping that all is well with yourself and family!

Kindest regards as always!
Yes, now the floods are coming in, wish we could just get a break!

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:angel1: