• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fire

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
How sad...I can;t & don;t want to imagine death by fire but hopefully the smoke got him first.
Where do you live? I guess Mom heard about it on the news,,The firetruck was 5 tons that was blown over not a ton... We had a firetruck get swept into the river trying to cross about a decade ago too. They had to get a helicopter to take people out,,,Soem of thsoe firemen are volunteers...
I believe it was the weather made by the fire that tipped that truck? I hate reading too much about it to be honest as it terrifies me. I have someone very very close to me who is the fire captain of the CFA for the town he lives in. All our local towns firefighters are volunteer fighters, most country towns here only have CFA which has less resources and funding than the city firefighters. It’s scary to think how quickly a controlled situation can turn bad with a slight change in the weather.

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
How sad...I can;t & don;t want to imagine death by fire but hopefully the smoke got him first.
Where do you live? I guess Mom heard about it on the news,,The firetruck was 5 tons that was blown over not a ton... We had a firetruck get swept into the river trying to cross about a decade ago too. They had to get a helicopter to take people out,,,Soem of thsoe firemen are volunteers...
That’s what I’m hoping to, It’s sad fire fighters are often not payed they have one of the most important jobs.

I live on the south coast of NSW:)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Just reading about this gives me the chills. I cannot imagine how scary this was for you and yours. SO glad you, Yoshi and your horses are all okay too. Will be thinking of you all over there, it is heartbreaking!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
@Yoshi&Raphi I'm so glad you are ok and safe. This is such an awful time. I live in Sydney but have gone to stay with family for a few days. My fiance is on the south coast tonight with the RFS. Its certainly been a terrifying day and very long night. Hopefully the cold change coming will help.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh @Yoshi&Raphi I didn't realize you were there! Thank goodness you are okay. I'm sorry for your loss, it must be devastating.

The whole thing is so heartbreaking. I have been trying not to read about it too often but it's everywhere. News, FB, etc. I *do* pray about it constantly though don't worry.

May it rain for days over Aus. Soon.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Update: We are driving back today! We still aren’t staying at our place since there’s still a toxic smell :sad1: and people need to come out and make sure the structure is safe and won’t collapse.

So I’m staying at my parents place, Yoshi LOVES them so I’m sure he will be very happy. We bought a huge Dyson fan/air purifier yesterday to help with the smoky air. (Jesus they are expensive! Over $600! Aus dollars)

Here’s some bonus pictures of Mr Curious investigating the new box in “his” room.
1578361868807.jpeg
1578361911213.jpeg

1578361948813.jpeg

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
I love the air purifier! The cooling part of it is great and perfect with birds due to having no blades and I love all the different modes on it so you can customise it exactly to your liking.

The air smelt and felt much fresher and cleaner after running it for a day to. :yes3:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hey everyone I thought I would let you all know about what’s being happening lately.

We had major fire issues starting a couple weeks ago and ended up having to evacuate down to the beach (all the high ways were closed)

Honestly it was probably one of the scariest experiences in my life (and that says a lot) it got really dark at around 10am and you could see the flames over the hill. The smoke was overbearing and I was TERRIFIED for Yoshis safety with the huge amount of smoke. I ended up having to put him in a friend of a friend of a friends house when the smoke got so bad you could hardly breathe.

We are all safe now and on our way to Sydney to stay with friends far away from the fires for a couple weeks. Luckily Yoshi is totally fine and not damaged at all. (Although I will take him to see a vet when we arrive and settle in just to make sure).

We lost the laundry and Yoshis room which had pretty much all of his stuff in it :no:. We also lost the horse stables and a shed that had farm equipment in it (including a brand new ride on mower:sad7:)

Most of all I’m just glad we are all safe and everyone survived. Yoshi has been handling it ridiculously well and seems to actually enjoy all the travelling and new places.

My girlfriend came to stay with us before the fires started and has been trapped here for the whole ordeal poor thing!

Here are some pictures of what we saw from where we were on the beach and some cute pictures of Yoshi been a good boy in his temporary cage. (Once we are back home I’ll buy him a huge flight cage)

View attachment 324677

View attachment 324678

View attachment 324679
View attachment 324680
I hate fires....they are never good. Hope all is well your way.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I was of the belief that @Lodah was more in the city area..... I sure hope so or that he and the beauties are no where near the fires- haven’t seen him on in a while :eeeek:
Pilo is handling the smoke, extreme winds and 49 degree (celcius) outside heat very well ... although we worry about him all the time! Plenty of extra time out and lots of praise and cuddles! He seems to take it in his stride and we keep the air conditioning and filters running most of the time.

We live in the Blue mountains area, so close enough to the firing line to be scary and ready to evacuate if need be! My son is not so lucky and is constantly aware that his house may burn to the ground anytime soon if he is not one of the lucky ones!

Our weekend trips are limited as the smoke makes it hard to take pilo anywhere but we are managing very well and lucky that my job hasn't been affected too much. I'm sure some of our good friends from downunder are obviously not so lucky as we are!

Will upload some photos soon!

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Pilo is handling the smoke, extreme winds and 49 degree (celcius) outside heat very well ... although we worry about him all the time! Plenty of extra time out and lots of praise and cuddles! He seems to take it in his stride and we keep the air conditioning and filters running most of the time.

We live in the Blue mountains area, so close enough to the firing line to be scary and ready to evacuate if need be! My son is not so lucky and is constantly aware that his house may burn to the ground anytime soon if he is not one of the lucky ones!

Our weekend trips are limited as the smoke makes it hard to take pilo anywhere but we are managing very well and lucky that my job hasn't been affected too much. I'm sure some of our good friends from downunder are obviously not so lucky as we are!

Will upload some photos soon!
4CBDD54E-FD5D-405A-9469-3CCBE072F953.jpeg 53F69492-BD99-4EBF-9A53-9060AEC08DFC.jpeg C17CB9F2-86D8-4FB2-BFA6-3ED1F5FAC64F.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’m so glad to hear you are all ok @Lodah. I hope everyone stays safe and I also hope your son is one of the lucky ones and he does not loose his home. My thoughts and best wishes are with all of you who are closer to the fires.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Glad you are all okay...Stay safe baby birds!

Zettobi

Meeting neighbors
We've had to shower our sun conure 3+ times a day during the hot weather! It reached 45 degrees C indoors since we have no air conditioner (we live out western Sydney). Bought an air purifier which is running 24/7 and made use of the cool day yesterday by opening all the windows. Glad it rained a little but not enough :( I'm constantly checking the air quality gov site to see when it is safe to open the windows, it can get very stuffy indoors.

I hope the rest of the Australians here are doing well and staying safe!

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
@Lodah Gosh I'm glad to hear you are all OK, I was thinking of you again today.
Stay safe and best of luck to your son.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This info is for reading, please dont start a thread or comment, thanks Saw on the news that there are several folks accused of setting the fire, IMHO they were evidently ignoring the brushfire conditions and warnings

Last edited: