• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SleepyTiel

Moving in
Hi everyone! I have had my cockatiel, Delilah for about two months now and she is such a wonderful bird but still not hand tame and is on a full-seed diet. I want to eventually switch her over to pellets but as I am self-isolating for the foreseeable future, I am instead trying to get her to eat more fresh foods at least. I've placed a variety of chopped fresh veggies and some fruits in her cage every day but she shows next to no interest in them. Today I swapped her seed bowl and fresh food bowl in hopes that might entice her but she is still not trying them, even after sprinkling some of her seeds on top.
On top of wanting her to be healthier and experience some enrichment in eating new tastes and textures, the only food that I can entice her to train with is millet and I'm hoping that if she can switch over to a more fresh-food diet, millet will become a bit more enticing as she will not be eating as many seeds and hopefully she will be interested enough in it to step up for me.

I have read that a good way to swap birds over to a fresh-food diet is to give her a bowl/plate of fresh food in the morning and then her seeds a couple of hours later. Does this mean that I will need to have a feeding schedule with her where I give and remove her food throughout the day (like a breakfast, lunch, supper situation)? Will I also need to remove her seeds midway through the day so that around "dinner" time, she only has access to the fresh food again?

Any recommendations on how to transition her over or your own feeding styles would be greatly appreciated!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
fresh food in the morning and then her seeds a couple of hours later.
Just a little advice with that, don´t leave it hours at first. Start with just 20-30 mins. Once your bird is trying some of the foods, you can leave it longer.
But yes, first thing in the morning is the best time. Some people like to tuck in to some fruit/veg alongside their bird to encourage them to try - eating is a flock activity after all :)

Will I also need to remove her seeds midway through the day so that around "dinner" time, she only has access to the fresh food again?
You can try again in the afternoon, same as the morning, just 30 mins then switch back.

Any recommendations on how to transition her over
Have a read of this thread: Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips
There are also some tips at the end of this article: My Chop "Recipe"

SleepyTiel

Moving in
Just a little advice with that, don´t leave it hours at first. Start with just 20-30 mins. Once your bird is trying some of the foods, you can leave it longer.
But yes, first thing in the morning is the best time. Some people like to tuck in to some fruit/veg alongside their bird to encourage them to try - eating is a flock activity after all :)

You can try again in the afternoon, same as the morning, just 30 mins then switch back.

Have a read of this thread: Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips
There are also some tips at the end of this article: My Chop "Recipe"
Thank you so much! I will definitely try to give her thirty minutes with just the fresh stuff and then give her seeds back.