• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Expired pellets

je0409

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jadie
I have a bag of All Living Things (old Petsmart brand) Conure and Lovebird Diet fruit flavored pellets. I got them about 2 years ago when I was switching my GCC from seed to pellets and have continued to use them as treats since them. I gave her a few today and realized the bag said Best By: May 2023. Is this a hard rule and I absolutely should not give her anymore, or is it okay to still use them as the occasional treat? Should I be worried that I already have her a few? I've kept them in the original bag, but always made sure it was closed tightly and stored in a dry place. They look and smell as they always have.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd contact the company to ask,they'd be the best ones to advise you on this. I'd err on the side of caution to not give her any more until you get a reply.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
There is a big difference between "best before" and "use by" dates... I would never use anything after a use by date but best before dates I will if it has been stored correctly and if i deem it to have not lost too much quality of flavour or texture. Use-by and best-before dates.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Another thing to consider is, how long have they been opened? Usually best by dates are for unopened product.

How they have been stored is also a consideration.

Expired usually has more to do with vitamin degradation and oils/fats turning rancid. So if they are just treats and smell/look fine, it's probably okay. But if they are a large part of the diet, the chances of them no longer being nutritionally sound is high.