• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
Hi, so my pair of elegant parrots have been sitting on their eggs for over a week now and I decided I’d candle the eggs just to see, when I did there was no sign of how fertile eggs usually look, it was just yellow and maybe something darker in the middle but none of the red vein things that it says to look for online. I’m assuming this means they’re infertile. What should I do? Do I wait until around when they’d normally hatch and remove them then or should I do that now? This is their first clutch, would it be advisable to let them have another one right away? Also, ever since I touched the eggs the female seems more reluctant to go in there and is spending more time outside of the nest now. The pair have been mating a bit but she hasn’t laid anymore eggs. Any help would be great!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
it was just yellow and maybe something darker in the middle but none of the red vein things
The darker thing in the middle will be the yolk. Sounds infertile.

What should I do? Do I wait until around when they’d normally hatch and remove them then or should I do that now?
If she´s still brooding the eggs, let her do that for the average incubation time for your bird. Then remove, along with the nest box. When removing eggs, it can help to shuffle the cage around too, move perches and toys, add a new toy etc.

This is their first clutch, would it be advisable to let them have another one right away?
No.

Reactions: tka

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
The darker thing in the middle will be the yolk. Sounds infertile.

If she´s still brooding the eggs, let her do that for the average incubation time for your bird. Then remove, along with the nest box. When removing eggs, it can help to shuffle the cage around too, move perches and toys, add a new toy etc.

No.
Thanks! Also, I thought people usually let birds have a second clutch after the first? Also, she only layed two.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She will lay eggs again. But it´s in everyones interests to do as much as possible to postpone it a few months at least. It´s important she rests and recuperates and replenishes all the calcium lost. Back to back clutches are bad news and can lead to serious complications.

Things like rearranging the cage, moving food/water bowls, turning the cage, adding more foraging can all help throw her off of egg laying.