• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Drafty door, will covering the cage with blankets help?

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
Hi!
Unfortunately can't post a photo to better explain but the house I'm in gets very cold due to no central heating in the bedrooms so my Conure and her cage get moved to the living room where the heater is.
The door is somewhat nearby and I don't have much elsewhere to put her right now.
There is a draft when the door opens because it is snowing, I've kept the side that is facing the door covered with 2 blankets and about to put a 3rd one on.

Will these blankets block the drafts from getting to her?
Thanks!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Maybe you could also cover the back of her cage? Mine stays covered, since they are pushed up to a wall behind them, and the wall was being uh... 'decorated'! ;)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
It may not help with the heat too much depending on how close she is, but certainly the draft I'd think. And I agree with @Fergus Mom about covering the back as well.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Are you renting? If so this is an issue to speak to the landlord about. Perhaps a second door? Maybe @JLcribber would have some ideas.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hi!
Unfortunately can't post a photo to better explain but the house I'm in gets very cold due to no central heating in the bedrooms so my Conure and her cage get moved to the living room where the heater is.
The door is somewhat nearby and I don't have much elsewhere to put her right now.
There is a draft when the door opens because it is snowing, I've kept the side that is facing the door covered with 2 blankets and about to put a 3rd one on.

Will these blankets block the drafts from getting to her?
Thanks!

What you’re talking about is not a draft. A draft is a constant flow (leak) of cold air into the birds cage. Opening and closing a door for 10 seconds is just a shot of cold air into the room and gone when the door is closed. You protected the affected side with blankets from the blast. Seems to me you’ve taken the necessary steps.

If the door is leaky and you can feelCold air when closed then you have a draft. In that case weather stripping.