• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does a male Cinnamon Pearl Cheekspot darken after molting?

MayJ

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
May Johnson
I wonder if this bird I have now is the same one I have lost before. Can anyone help me figure this out?

• I lost my male Cockatiel (4 months old) on June 25, 2022 before molting, 3-4 months after, someone caught a similar one and reached out to me.
  • The only difference I noticed is the intensity of its gray pearl pattern whereas he already molted and a dark streak on its beak.
  • He looks like around 7 months old.
  • He can also whistle a tune now.

Before I lost my cockatiel, he was starting to get noisy. The timing is just accurate also the location, when I lost him he flew East. This bird I have here also came from that area.

This is my pet: (June 2022)
FB_IMG_1665816940601.jpg

This is the one we caught. A darker pattern after molting. (October 2022)

20221015_145810.jpg

HOW DO I FIGURE OUT IF HE IS THE SAME BIRD?
No one in social media had posted about this particular bird since I am expecting a Missing post around our area, that's why I feel like he "might" be my missing pet months ago.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Are you sure this is a boy? I ask because females keep their pearls and males lose them. How does he act around you? Does he behave the same? Have you tried looking on Parrot Alert? @expressmailtome

:welcomegroup:

MayJ

Real Name
May Johnson
Isn't it the other way around that Males keep their pearls? Well as far as i know, females are quiet, but this one is noisy. Just like my pet before I lost him.

This bird is getting comfy with me after 5-6 days of letting him settle down on a double cage. He gets curious with my hand when I refill his feeder and water.
I can now give him sunflower seeds by holding and letting him take it, but still does not want scritches though.

I posted on facebook, seems like no one nearby the area has a missing bird other than me.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am thinking it is not the same bird but I really do not know anything about the changes these birds with pearls go through to say for sure. I am looking at the colouring of the toes, toenails and head differences rather than the feather markings as such.

These threads hopefully have some information that you may find helpful... Baby cockatiel girl or boy?

MayJ

Real Name
May Johnson
Thank you for this insight, much appreciated. I would be so sad if this bird is not my pet. I see progress in taming, quicker than I expected. Until now 23rd of October 2022, no one is claiming this bird.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thank you for this insight, much appreciated. I would be so sad if this bird is not my pet. I see progress in taming, quicker than I expected. Until now 23rd of October 2022, no one is claiming this bird.
I hadwho breeds cockatiels as well as other species of parrot take a look at these pics and they don’t believe these photos are of the same bird either.
Hopefully the same thing that happened with you and this bird also happened with your last bird that was lost.
I know of so many people who now own tiels that they never set out to own- good people find lost birds and keep them hoping to hear from an owner and before they know it they’ve got themselves a new friend.