• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do You Guys Order Blood Panels?

Turkey2017

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
Hello! I have an avian vet that I’ve been going to for years but we’ve only ever done a blood panel once. She doesn’t seem to think they’re really necessary but I think I’d feel better if I could keep track on everyone’s condition over the years so I can have a ballpark of what’s normal and catch any changes early.
Is it reasonable to ask for blood panels on my birds and if so, how often?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I usually do one when I first bring my bird home so I have a baseline of "normal", then "as needed". If I had a bird on a whole food diet, I might order them more often to be sure I wasn't missing any vital nutrients. I also will probably start ordering them more now that my bird is in his mid 20s to be sure I am on top of any ailments.

On average I would say my birds usually get/got one every 2-5 years?

I would say it is reasonable for sure :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I always do one when I get a new bird and then do it intermittently sometimes just to check and also do it as needed.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I usually do one when I first bring my bird home so I have a baseline of "normal", then "as needed". If I had a bird on a whole food diet, I might order them more often to be sure I wasn't missing any vital nutrients. I also will probably start ordering them more now that my bird is in his mid 20s to be sure I am on top of any ailments.

On average I would say my birds usually get/got one every 2-5 years?

I would say it is reasonable for sure :)
O always feel like I'm twins with @Mizzely as my responses would be nearly identical to hers!
Yes on new burd unless gcc size or smaller. Then as needed for diagnostic on sick burds. Then start checking on senior birds every couple of years. Personally I don't do it routinely on healthy birds. But for birds quaker size or larger , nothing wrong with checking annually if its something you want. Ive certainly heard of well burd exams with blood work only for them to find out they dud have an issues..like subacute infection, kidney or liver stuff

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I have always been an advocate for blood every few years.... but right now sitting in the midst of a health crisis and massive Vet bill with my Macaw, I'm inclined to rethink that and go with blood every other year. Max's last blood panel was 3 years ago and everything was normal, but I now wonder if blood last year would have caught early flags for trouble brewing. Maybe not, but maybe yes... are you seeing avian certified vet? I definitely have learned a hard, expensive and stressful lesson about sticking with avian certified vet. Hope your little one is doing well!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have been told it is best (very important) to get bloods done yearly- I was told this by Sarah and ML who I would trust above nearly all other sources.

It has not been easy tbh finding a vet who is willing to do them yearly without evidence of an illness :(