• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DNA sexing wrong?

hbxninja

Checking out the neighborhood
My 4 month old Pineapple GCC has been acting strange lately. She grabs my finger with her beak and puts either one or both of her feet on it, and fluffs up a bit and wags her tail. Does this mean she is trying to mate with me? The breeder DNA sex'd her female, but I'm not convinced she isnt a male due to this behaviour. It is also odd that she is doing this at a young age. She also tries to regurgitate to me and my other bird, a budgie.

Please help me! I don't know whats going on.

Skipper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Scott Schifer
I was told here that that behavior is common with both young males and females. DNA is probably correct.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
DNA testing has been known to be wrong! You can rerun it if you want a second answer.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I don't think what you describe is necessarily sexual but even if it is it doesn't mean it's not a female. I have a 2 year old gcc female and she occasionally tries to rub her bottom on my hand.

IvySupersonic

Moving in
I'd like to hear what everyone thoughts are on the above behavior as well. I also have a 4 month old unsexed GCC who does the same thing.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
In medium to large birds, males and females may display the same sexual behaviors... saw a video once of a green cheek conure that was rubbing "itself" on the owner's hand. Everyone said male! DNA was done, and the results came back female!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
At 4 months old they are exploring the world, their bodies, etc. If it feels good, they explore it more. Both boys and girls do it

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I will not say that this is sexual as my females also did that at young age. For me that is some kind of bonding.
Just like you and me birds also have feelings, and they doesn't need to be sexual.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
DNA sexing can be wrong but it has a pretty small chance of being wrong. Male and female birds often will display the same behaviors. :) You could always run another DNA test just to be sure.