• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cuddle or not

Pipo

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,
I have a female budgie who think I were her mate, although I am her mom. She normally doesn’t allow anyone to cuddle her, but when I do, she is easily aroused. Since she had laid too many eggs in the past months, I tried not to cuddle her that much. She managed to stop her egg production for a month now. However, in the past days she started to lift her vent again as soon as she sees me or hears me calling her name in the morning. I tried not to touch her although she looks so adorable… She seems very sad and stressed out now because I didn’t respond to her behavior. Now she is not eating when I am not around. What should I do? Should I cuddle her or not?

She has gained some weight (the same weight when she has an egg) for three days but hasn’t laid any egg which worries me too.

SarahSpork

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
It's a difficult situation to be in. Try to keep any contact limited to her head and neck. You can also offer diversions while you're away, by setting up foraging stations. Add in hormone control measures, like longer nights, and changing up how her cage is arranged. It may take some time, but she will settle down with some patience.

In regard to the concern about egg binding. Just keep an eye on her, if you see her straining definitely take her to a vet.

Last edited:

Pipo

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you, Sarah. I am making sure to limit to her head and neck, although very often I can’t help but kiss her on her beak (My bad).
I have read somewhere saying that so long she can’t find a nest, she won’t be producing eggs regardless her vent lifting behavior, is it true?

SarahSpork

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
Nest or no, your bird may still lay eggs. Though the presence of a nesting spot will increase the probability, hormones tend to flare up when they find a cozy nest-worthy location.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Welcome to the forums Pipo (and Sarah).

Sarah's provided very good feedback, but please also take a look at this for additional guidance, and consider incorporating its perspective...

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Have you limited her daylight hours? Taken out warm, soft foods, or fatty food? Removed anything soft or could be perceived as a nest (like a snuggle hut for instance, which aren't good to have anyway).

cookiesmom

Meeting neighbors
Thank you, Sarah. I am making sure to limit to her head and neck, although very often I can’t help but kiss her on her beak (My bad).
I have read somewhere saying that so long she can’t find a nest, she won’t be producing eggs regardless her vent lifting behavior, is it true?
@SarahSpork is right, it doesn't matter if your bird has a nest or not because they can still lay regardless. Definitely limit nesting behavior.