• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Coping with my caiques death

CaiqueJuno

Checking out the neighborhood
WARNING SAD STORY

My caique passed away last night at ~7 years old. My little sister decided to adopt a stray cat and the cat decided it wanted my bird. I am beyond devastated and it was an incident that could have been avoided if we just told her to give up the cat (but how could we do tell her to give up something that brought her so much joy like my bird brought me) or just paid better attention.

We had no issue for the first couple months with this first cat. We created a routine and we always had the animals locked in separate rooms when we weren’t home and we give them turns when we are home but there was a miscommunication about who was put away and the cat got her. She wasn’t killed in the spot. We were in the house and we stopped it just moments after it happened (side note: it’s 10pm). Juno was fine just a little shook and there was a little blood on her tongue (we thought she bit her tongue). We took her to the vet the next morning and they checked her heart and lungs then examined her body for wounds and they said everything was ok and if there was internal bleeding she wouldn’t of made the night. They gave her pain meds and antibiotics. Later that day she died in my dads arms.

It all feels like a bad dream and I keep thinking I’m going to get home and she’ll be there. I don’t know what I’m looking for posting this. I guess what I’m doing is trying to find something to make me feel better about it all. Like her living a long full life or she went peacefully in her old age but I can’t find any peace in this situation.

Maybe I just want to know if I’m not alone and that I’m not a bad bird mom because I feel so much guilt and I wanted to take her with me when I moved from home. Do pet birds often not make it to old age, are freak accidents common. I’m honestly just looking for anything to ease this pain.

I loved her so much and I would do anything to bring her back.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m so sorry for your loss :crycry:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss. Yes, accidents happen all the time. We can only try our best. Sadly, cats and birds don't mix. It wasn't your fault and it wasn't your cat. It's hard to lose a bird no matter the age. Try to take comfort in knowing you gave her a good life and that she was loved. That's more than, sadly, a lot of birds have.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I'm so truly sorry for your loss. Your Birdy was beautiful. How is your sister handling the event?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh I’m so sorry! You must feel terrible. I hope you don’t feel angry with your sister, it truly was an accident.
Yes - birds get in sooo many different kinds of accidents.

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
I am so, so sorry for your loss. Fly high Juno!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I'm sorry you lost her :sadhug:

CaiqueJuno

Checking out the neighborhood
Oh I’m so sorry! You must feel terrible. I hope you don’t feel angry with your sister, it truly was an accident.
Yes - birds get in sooo many different kinds of accidents.
I definitely don’t blame anyone. I’m just mad at the situation but a cat is going to be a cat I can’t change that

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very sorry for your loss. Sending my sympathies.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Such a devastating loss for you. :( I am so sorry.
You do not sound like a bad bird owner, you sound like one who did all you could, and still had an accident.
Accidents happen to the best owners in the world.
Sadly, only time will help to heal your pain.
Someday when you think of her, you'll smile at the memories instead of crying.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I am so sorry...
Yes, accidents DO happen... I've heard a bundle of different stories, and yes, a couple of my own! All w/ different outcomes...

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry to hear that so sad

Tilly123

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chrissie
I'm sorry for your loss. I know the pain you are feeling. I lost my beloved parrot to a dog...partner left the cage door open.
Many birds do not make it to old age because of accidents or illness.
This was almost 2 years ago and I still miss him everyday. It does get easier in time, although the sadness is always there. I wrote down everything that I remembered about him...which helped. I got a local artist to paint him from a photo, which I have where his cage used to be, and also I try to think of something funny or special about him everyday because he was/is still very special to me.He shared my life for 18 years.
Juno will stay in your heart for always and he had a good life with you..