• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conures fighting

Dinosuar

Moving in
Hi, I have two conures and I had a question. So when either one conure takes a shower or both do, they start arguing and fighting when they are together. They tackle each other and have loud voices. I’ve searched a bunch but have not found anything. Is it something with their appearance? Smell? When they are not wet they are fine together but when wet they can’t be together. Can someone explain? It’s honestly kind of funny how they act but still it weird to me.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Are they having to share a single bath bowl? Maybe you can separate them a little more and put out a bath bowl for each bird.

Dinosuar

Moving in
Are they having to share a single bath bowl? Maybe you can separate them a little more and put out a bath bowl for each bird.
Hi, so it is the same bowl but they don’t bathe at the same time. And the fighting/yelling happens after they are wet. So like when one finishes their bathe I put them either like a sunny spot or perch or whatever and then I put my second conure to take shower. After if I put them in the same spot they start fighting and yelling. So I don’t know why when they are wet they do that. The same thing also when only one is wet.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Can you get a video of their interaction?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
They took their bath like 30min ago and now they are dry and not fighting. If u can wait till tomorrow I’ll try to film the interaction tomorrow? Thank you for ur responses btw!
No problem on the wait - I'm just trying to determine if they're play fighting or actually fighting. Rupert gets a little frisky after a bath, but I only have one Conure. He likes to "surf" on towels and gets a bit nippy and silly.

Dinosuar

Moving in
No problem on the wait - I'm just trying to determine if they're play fighting or actually fighting. Rupert gets a little frisky after a bath, but I only have one Conure. He likes to "surf" on towels and gets a bit nippy and silly.
Ok. I don’t know honestly which it is. I know that when they are dry they cuddle and occasionally they will nibble each others foot or feathers if they hit like a wax spot or if one stops cuddling haha. I only see this behavior when they are wet they scream and literally tackle each other. It is funny but it is a bit aggressive but yeah I don’t know I’ll try to send video tomorrow. Nice talkin with you!

Dinosuar

Moving in
Hi sorry for a late reply I’ve had a busy week, I got a brief video on them “fighting” how can I send it? I only see option to send photos?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Hi sorry for a late reply I’ve had a busy week, I got a brief video on them “fighting” how can I send it? I only see option to send photos?
You will need to upload to a place like YouTube, and then copy the video link. When you are ready to post it, tap the button that looks like this "...", and then select "media". Paste the video link in the box.

20210803_143541.jpg

Dinosuar

Moving in
here is a video of them briefly fighting, sorry for the mess in the background haha. Note that if I let them down to fight they would tackle each other. I know this is a bit short but I didn’t want them to fight more. This behavior is just so weird haha.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
@webchirp
Does this look more like play fighting, or is it actual fighting, you think?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I'm leaning towards aggressive fighting as well, but wanted to see what Webchirp thought. She's got more firsthand experience than I do. :)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes I don’t think they like each other wet. I know when bathing commences at our house, it is a lesser version of the fight song when one escapes. I have this with a few of mine too. I’m not certain why other than perhaps they don’t like the fact that they don’t look “appropriate”. But thats not super aggressive. My boys get too close, they jump each other and fall off things in a screaming, rolling ball of feathers. I have to be careful when breaking them up so I don’t leave an opening for one or the other to get a good bite in.

Dinosuar

Moving in
Hi webchirp, thank for your answer! It is an interesting behavior to me and weird haha. I always separate them now. It’s definitely not too aggressive but like your conures, if I did let them go they would definitely tackle each other to the floor and continue screaming. I’ve never seen one of them take a good bite the most I’ve seen is hitting there beaks together and screaming and then fighting in a rolling ball. Thanks for answer and take care!

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is good to know for the future

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
One of my conures, Max, will run the other (Gus) off. Gus won’t stand his ground, he just takes off. Your two are exhibiting such interesting behavior and it seems odd that it is only when they’re wet!:eek: Birds are absolutely fascinating.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
As others have suggested, the video looks to be on the aggressive end of the scale rather than playful to me as well.
I suspect our wet birds might be experiencing a heightened sense of vulnerability when they're in that state (due to a diminished ability to fly after a good soaking).
I'd let them dry on separate perches.

Dinosuar

Moving in
One of my conures, Max, will run the other (Gus) off. Gus won’t stand his ground, he just takes off. Your two are exhibiting such interesting behavior and it seems odd that it is only when they’re wet!:eek: Birds are absolutely fascinating.
They absolutely are fascinating !