• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure or parrotlet?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Just a reminder that we are a family of inclusion here at Avian Avenue. That being said, debates about politics, religion, or gender related topics are better left to other media :)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I still endorse budgies. They're the best. Here's a quote from a post I made about them in the Underrated Parrots thread.

I would like to have a canary one day, & certainly understand the appeal of parrotlets. That said, I'm not getting a parrotlet or a canary. My budgies' dust might adversely affect them. They might hurt each other too. And from what I've read trolling the internet, parrotlets need a lot of mental stimulation to avoid plucking, though that could just be down to imprinting. Conures could also be impacted by dust. I guess I believe in sticking with a decision if you've made one. You did when you chose budgies.

Budgies are best because:
  • They're lovely & very personable;
  • They're brave;
  • They apparently can learn to talk;
  • They come in an array of colours;
  • These colours make them easy to tell apart & fun to name;
  • They're not endangered in the wild, so you can enjoy them without that consideration;
  • There is a larger, poofier kind, English, if you like poofy birds;
  • Their calls don't cause hearing damage;
  • Many people have the space & resources to keep more than one;
  • They're unlikely to outlive you, so you don't need make the same provisions as for long lived birds;
  • Their shreddable & destructible toys last a long time.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I feel guilty that you feel attacked. I just wanted you to be aware that life is a Rollercoaster and sadly pets can suffer because of this. If you want a conure and the parents back your decision then go for it. None of us can stop you nor do we want to.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Thank you @javi! It doesn't really matter what age you are, life ALWAYS has unexpected huge bumps, or turns. But we all still have birds here, right? But I'm just going to ask my last question because I need to have a good plan of where I'm going to get my bird from, and it kinda drifted off there. Is there any online breeders that you have bought from and liked what you got?

ems08

Walking the driveway
Thank you @javi! It doesn't really matter what age you are, life ALWAYS has unexpected huge bumps, or turns. But we all still have birds here, right? But I'm just going to ask my last question because I need to have a good plan of where I'm going to get my bird from, and it kinda drifted off there. Is there any online breeders that you have bought from and liked what you got?
I got my Quaker from Birdie Brains Aviary, which is local (ish) to me in NC, but she does ship all over the US via Delta and United pet transports.

Having been to her aviary I can confirm everything was clean, birds were properly housed and everyone appeared loved and well cared for. Riley is a calm, happy baby, and shows no fear of me being in his space, making noises, giving head scratchies, changing papers etc, so I think she does a good job of hand taming and desensitizing. He eats pellets perfectly and loves apple.

Also she's definitely a real person, not a scam, so there's that! She is slowing down her operation and considering retiring so she's not breeding all of the species she used to (just Quakers and conures that I'm aware of at the moment).

Good luck with your decision!

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Thank you so much @ems08 ! I'm definitely interested in this, so it's on the list for aviaries!!!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Does the airport near you ship in birds? Not all of them do.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I think the airport near me deos, but I found this article. Should I even get a shipped bird?? I want what's best for the bird

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I have had birds shipped to me with no issues. I would do it again in a heartbeat, however the nearest airport to receive birds is about 4 hours away. Talk to Christine and Jadies Bird Nest (find on facebook) she has great birds and does ship. I know and trust her.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Thank youi @javi, I've already sent her an email for some info!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
What species of birds does she have (I'm not on FB)?

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Yikes. In true online forum like fashion, there is a ton of overstepping and unsolicited advice.

GCCs can be loud. They can use their voices often but with the right training only at certain times of day (dawn and dusk). They need undisturbed sleep at night in darkness so if keeping in your own room you might have to do studies/computer work at night in another room.

Nothing that says not to get a bird though. I had birds through three degrees, and before and after. It is manageable. The only one with a screaming problem is the one I just adopted. Get a baby and train it yourself.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am finding both of mine very loud at the moment as i introduce them to each other.
I have also observed a very loud call when they want me to remove there chop and put there pellets for Mojo, Pellet and seed for KiKi as i try and transition her.

When i say loud i mean painfully loud and i am half deaf after playing electric guitar through 100 watt amps for 20 years.
Something i am working on.though learnimg to.understand the noise and trying to stop the reaction and subsequent noise.
Mojo saw a cat and the noise was crazy KiKi got.involved cos Mojo was warning us there was a cat about :nocomment:

My tinitus wasnt good that night Motorhead.where loud but not so piercing and painfull

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Soo, a little update...... I am going to get a conure! Now i have my families full support for even when i'm i'm college! And my family is willing to pay all the birds vet bills! I can't see see any problems happenimg. My mom understands how important the care of a Birds are now. I am really sorry for not considering enough of what everyone said, i understand what you were all were trying to tell me now! And i found a Birds stores 2hours away, and i got to meet their Birds, there was this very sweet pineapple conure, and he really needs a Home.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
What species did you decide on?

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
What species did you decide on?
I did meet some really cute baby ciaques! I just fell in love with them. But i decided to go the with conure, because My mom said that she would take care of a conure when i go to college and not a ciaque. I Aldo don't have a room that is good for a ciaque. They chew EVERYTHING! So i don't want my room yo get destroyed, i can stand some destruction, but the ciaques we're too destructive for My room that even My budgies like to chew. But i'll get a ciaque someday, thats just too Big of a Bird right now(it's going to be a long time). And i love conures , it's the perfect Bird for me! There are some baby ones coming, but they get deposits before they are even ready to go and i want to CHOOSE a conure, so im really serious on just adopting one who needs a good Home. I can't wait to hace my conure, but i have to put down payements because they are really expensive

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Is that a type of green cheek? Not too familiar with conjure colour morphs.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award