• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure or parrotlet?

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I'm planning on getting a bird in the future and I think I'm going to get a conure but the parrotlet is in the back of my mind. I want a bird that is very social and silly, which spiecies is generally more social, I also wonder if it is a good idea to get a parrotlet when I have two budgies, I know conures are generally calm, I am prepared for different out of the cage times if necessary, but what is more probable to not get along with my birds, conure or parrotlet? Thank you!

Jogging around the block
What type of conure are you thinking? Just asking because the size varies between species a bit

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I'm thinking of a green cheek, or pineapple, or turquoise sided, or maybe possibly a jenday but NOT a sun Conure, I wanted to adopt a pair and my parents said they wouldn't be able to handle the noise level :roflmao:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm planning on getting a bird in the future and I think I'm going to get a conure but the parrotlet is in the back of my mind. I want a bird that is very social and silly, which spiecies is generally more social, I also wonder if it is a good idea to get a parrotlet when I have two budgies, I know conures are generally calm, I am prepared for different out of the cage times if necessary, but what is more probable to not get along with my birds, conure or parrotlet? Thank you!
My short experiece of conures are they are not calm at all they are manic and they dont stop Whilst KiKI is still very nervy her confidence is growing Mojo on the other hand is so lively and really does have the Napolean complex.
I know you have said you would like a green cheek so get a green cheek however i dont think you would be able to have the conure out of its cage with your budgies.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Gotta say I’ve never ever heard of a conure being described as a calm bird… they’re extremely active, cheeky and inquisitive as far as I’m aware.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
they’re extremely active, cheeky and inquisitive as far as I’m aware.
I agree with this about conures. It also applys to parrotlets. Although you must keep in mind each bird has their own personality’s

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm thinking of a green cheek, or pineapple, or turquoise sided, or maybe possibly a jenday but NOT a sun Conure, I wanted to adopt a pair and my parents said they wouldn't be able to handle the noise level :roflmao:
Mojo is a pineapple she comes in at 74 grams turqoise come in at pretty much the same kind of weight from what i have read about them ( i am getting a pineapple turqoise myself next year ) Jendays are also pretty noisy birds in comparrison to GCC.
Mojo has always flock called but once i got KiKI that increased 10 fold not 2 fold 2 birds twice the noise at at all.

Gotta say I’ve never ever heard of a conure being described as a calm bird… they’re extremely active, cheeky and inquisitive as far as I’m aware.
They really dont stop there is no calm well maybe 20 mins when when you give them a Nutriberri

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Sorry I every one, of course they are not calm ! I meant gentle, although every bird deos pack a good bite now and then, but them not being calm is a reason why I love them

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
But what about parrotlets? They being agressive to other birds is my biggest concern, also what are their personality differences, I've heard they are like big birds in tiny bodies, deos that mean they are more social than conures?

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
So I've kept and bred both. Parrotlets are so cute and active but I have known several to turn aggressive when older. Maybe aggressive is not the right word, moody is better. They like to get into everything and are fun to watch. I had a pair of green rump parrotlets years ago and by far are much better than pacific. They are calmer and sweeter.
Green cheeks are very similar in my opinion but sweeter usually. They are constantly into everything and can be relentless when they get an idea in their head. Suns and jendays have awesome personalities, color and attitudes but that is they have the only scream that drives me bonkers, rather hear amazons scream.
There are other options also if you are open to it. Linnies are awesome. I like blue crown conures, crimson belly, black cap, dusky, white eyed and green conures that I have worked with and find them to be much better conures than gcc in my experience and opinion.
Really just get the bird you want. Don't settle for anything else. My taste in birds is not everyones.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Thank you everyone, im going to get a conure! I for sure want a bird that gets into everything, ive also seen alot of poeple have conures and budgies in the same room! So now alot of my money is going to a conure, will keep you all updated, i May have the go 3hrs not including traffic to get a conure or get one from online which I'm unsure of still

Pepebirdie

Walking the driveway
Just letting you know... sun conures and jendays have the same personality (as species) and they are both equally loud, if jendays are not more. I have had experience with both. Jendays are just not as well known as sun conures. They are very similar. Do u prefer jendays because of the color difference or something else?

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
@Pepebirdie thank you for that info, the reason I wanted a jenday is because I've seen their such playful personalities! I just adore them, but I understand that I need a bird that will not bother my family so I think I'm going to get a GCC conure

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
I can't speak to owning a parrotlet, but I love being owned by a conure and having been owned by one in the past. Both Glimmer and Q want(ed) to be a part of everything. Have you considered a black-capped conure? Glimmer is quieter both in volume and level of screaming compared to Q (who was a Nanday), and I've heard in general. That's not to say she doesn't scream, but it's a thought for you. I'm excited for you!

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
My parents wouldn't mind the constant chatter, but they WOULD mind the constant screaming all the time, so no nanday, jenday,or sun conure for me! The conure would be in my room with my big door closes all the time, of course not during quarantine. Im going to look into the black capped Conure! Your bird is so cool, so you never know! There are so many Conure species to pick from!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Green cheeks and all conures can be loud. They may not be as loud as a sun but they can scream a lot.

Pickles&Co

Meeting neighbors
Will your parents be able to adjust if you do end up with a louder bird?

I ask because all birds are individuals and some GCC are loud as well, my roommates GCC is generally a noiser bird than my sun for example.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My two can get pretty loud at times Mojo has got much Louder since i got KiKi

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Just going to add this for the record, my parrotlet does have her fits where she screams for attention to come and hang out if I’m busy doing something she shouldn’t be around. At her loudest, also out of curiosity on my part she clocked in at 98 decibels. And I can hear her when I’m down stairs doing laundry.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I think my parents will be able to handle it, I don't share a room with anyone and I have a heavy door, my sisters might be able to hear it through the air vent but if I let them hold my new conure they'll forget about it, I just don't need a bird that is so loud my parents can't handle it! :lol:
I'm going to get that Conure! My plan is this: face paint at the town event's around me, and all my tips geos to my conure! (There is alot of events year round, especially with so many towns around me, and you can earn ALOT of tips face painting)