• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure molting?

Axfhs

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Alex
Hi I’m concerned on whether my green cheek is molting or not. He just turned 1 year old recently and lately I’ve been noticing his chest feathers going away and on the floor. I don’t know the difference between if he’s plucking or if he’s just molting and would like some sort of clarification.
There are only a few feathers because I cleaned the rest up earlier but there are a few as an example.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Looks like plucking. As grey underfluff is showing. When they molt you don't have bare patch

Axfhs

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Alex
Any tips to help stopping the plucking?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
It's always good to start with a vet check to rule out health issues. There are a few that can cause plucking.

This area, tho, is classic for behavioral. Because it's not well established, after ruling out health , this is your best time to adjust things and have success

Tell us about diet,share cage set up and location, and share your daily routine with the bird .

Plucking used to be very rare in green cheeks , while other species have more of a tendancey.
Unfortunately how birds are raised and weaned can play a big role . Force weaning lack of social interaction with other chicks and adults . The birds develop insecurities and difficulty dealing with stress. Or other stresses as adults can bring on , neglect and such . Then there are unknown causes , when the bird was raised well , and always cared for well . So I'm not saying you are to blame in any way . But it is a disorder of captivity, not seen in wild individuals. Parrots are so social , active and intelligent.

chronic zinc toxicity has also been linked with plucking.

things that can help , teaching foraging, start as together thing very easy , adjust to their ability. There have been some science studies showing decreased feather destruction behavior in birds that learn to forage.

a healthy diet with a lot of fresh food , more veggies than fruit .

a good routine and set sleep and wake up time. Letting the bird know when you are leaving, and greeting on return.

increased out of cage time . Increasing self directed behavior like bath, flight , climbing, foraging, chewing destroying soft wood and things easy to destroy . Weather permitting, time outside in a very secure cage never left unattended, light shade is best or acres to shade not in direct sun. Being outside is a huge benefit to mood , and their vision in being able to look far , the sunshine vitamin.

knowing my GCC, at least a couple of hours of direct attention .

perhaps a little controversial, if you are able to care for , afford , provide for , and want , a second parrot of same sex and species ..they might not ever get along tho , and would need it's own complete cage set up , and care and time with introducing...I think they really do better with another parrot around. In my personal opinion after having started out with a solo bird fir ten years, then having more , I won't go solo again. Such highly social flock creatures...
that being said many people have happy solo birds
Also I took in a plucker , and she became close friends with another of her species, and continued to pluck for the rest of her life. So adding isn't a cure

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Looks a lot like my pip and he had bare patches like this when moulting I was scared he had already started plucking at such a young age he had bold spots on his head chest like yours but not as bad just odd patches here and there but there was definitely grey down feathers showing
I took pip to vets and my vet said some gcc just moult in patches (he could see pin feathers ) if it didn’t grow back in normal time or pin feathers got pulled to fetch him back

he’s fully feathered now no more bold patches was definitely moulting he’s moulted most his head face back feathers at top chest feathers he totally lost his red patch on his belly it’s back now he’s lost two tail feathers which are growing back

I would say keep an eye on him if your worried book to see your vet
I would definitely recommend the things @Pixiebeak said foraging is such amazing exercise to keep them busy if your birds doesn’t already
Also toys that are chewable basla wood sola wood and remi new favourite basswood
Honestly I can’t recommend this more it’s amazing keeps my two so busy I think foot toys are such an important thing for gcc to keep there minds occupied

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Just to clarify your gcc would be plucking the middle feathers in your hand looks like it’s been messed with it
But I just wanted you to know my gcc did have bold patches too