• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure friendly plants?

Jellybird

Moving in
I'm growing some veggies in containers and recently got a hold on some container variety of pea, it grows very short and bushy with small pods just about 2-3 peas each. My GCC loves peas! I used to give her whole pods last summer. I was wondering, though, if it was okay to give her access to the entire little plant, leaves and all, to nibble and shred? I'd be covering up the soil though. I've heard pea greens are actually edible(for humans) so was wondering if that was okay, since my baby sure likes to shred and destroy and loves peas.

Also I'm growing basil and dill that I give her bits of sometimes - any other herb that is a good recommendation to plant for a bird?

Also this year I'll be growing chocolate habanero and Trinidad scorpion peppers. Are those too hot to share with the bird? The latter are considered second hottest in the world. I've heard of people giving habaneros to their birds, but haven't seen anything about the Trinidad Scorpion, probably because they are pretty hard to find unless you grow them yourself. I understand that birds aren't really too sensitive to the spicy taste(I've heard it's even healthy for them), but would it not irritate their stomach? Unless there are people here who have offered their birds some of this super-hot with no issues, I'm probably going to avoid feeding it.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I would try grasses, edible flowers(dandelion and such, but there are Many more, certain types of lilies are safe too), herbs like you already have etc.:)

About the hot part. Birds have no heat receptors on their to tongues like humans do. Those heat receptors are what cause the hot taste in our mouths, and as birds don’t have them, they don’t have a problem eating ‘hot’ foods. I have fed my lovies chili pepper without a problem! Just be carefull, when I was cutting it up I got an itch in my eye and gently wiped my eye.. well it was not pleseant:lol:

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Lots of plants are good for birds. Garden peas are great, and totally edible (though for humans, I think you are thinking of pea shoots, which are sprouts. The greens of a plant that's producing edible peas would be kind of tough). Basil, dill, mint are all fine - I can't even think of a leafy herb that wouldn't be good - you sometimes see parsley listed as toxic, but it really isn't, he'd have to eat virtually nothing but parsley to have any problems.

Peppers of all kinds are great, not only are they healthy and delicious (to GCC's anyway) but they can be beautiful ornamental plants. I usually dig up my favorite and keep it indoors over winter, they live for 4 or 5 years that way. They even flower and produce peppers indoors, if you bother to go through with a paintbrush and pollinate them. They may not be the best plant to let your GCC have unrestricted access too though. Mine will pick off all the flowers if she gets a chance - and then, no peppers. You can give them as hot a pepper as you want, I've given Cheeky home grown ghost peppers just for fun. But, she prefers the small colorful hot pepper varieties more often sold as ornamental peppers- I think because they have more seeds, which is her favorite part.

Here's Cheeky enjoying a whole small hot pepper.
P8161881.JPG

Leafy greens are always good. I like Swiss chard since it's a biennial, so it can be harvested from mid summer up until early winter (and sometimes even the next spring if you get it before it bolts), so much easier than things like spinach or lettuce which only have a window of a few weeks when they are good.

Jellybird

Moving in
Lots of plants are good for birds. Garden peas are great, and totally edible (though for humans, I think you are thinking of pea shoots, which are sprouts. The greens of a plant that's producing edible peas would be kind of tough). Basil, dill, mint are all fine - I can't even think of a leafy herb that wouldn't be good - you sometimes see parsley listed as toxic, but it really isn't, he'd have to eat virtually nothing but parsley to have any problems.

Peppers of all kinds are great, not only are they healthy and delicious (to GCC's anyway) but they can be beautiful ornamental plants. I usually dig up my favorite and keep it indoors over winter, they live for 4 or 5 years that way. They even flower and produce peppers indoors, if you bother to go through with a paintbrush and pollinate them. They may not be the best plant to let your GCC have unrestricted access too though. Mine will pick off all the flowers if she gets a chance - and then, no peppers. You can give them as hot a pepper as you want, I've given Cheeky home grown ghost peppers just for fun. But, she prefers the small colorful hot pepper varieties more often sold as ornamental peppers- I think because they have more seeds, which is her favorite part.

Here's Cheeky enjoying a whole small hot pepper.
View attachment 272564

Leafy greens are always good. I like Swiss chard since it's a biennial, so it can be harvested from mid summer up until early winter (and sometimes even the next spring if you get it before it bolts), so much easier than things like spinach or lettuce which only have a window of a few weeks when they are good.
Yeah, I've been thinking of having a pepper plant or 2 indoors. Didn't realise they can actually last a few years though! I'll see how my GCC likes the peppers! I'll definitely be planting some greens like kale as well.