• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure Angry with me? Help!

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Hi everyone!
I have never encountered this with my 8 year old sun conure and I am not sure what to do!

So on thanksgiving every year my boyfriend and I put our conure in our bedroom in his day cage while we cook and have the oven on. This isn't anything new. Cygni does okay with it, we make sure to visit him and let him out a little bit in the room throughout the day. The one thing that was different this year is that he ended up going to bed 2 hours later than normal, and that he didn't get to go back out in the living room. (It took me a while to cook this year.) He was fine when I put him to bed, he got 3 nutriberries for his thanksgiving feast, he went to sleep no problem.

The next day is when things changed. He first was super angsty and seemed desperate to get to me. Like scramble as fast as he can while whimpering kind of behavior. He climbs up my arms and settles on my shoulder all fluffed up, however anytime I looked at him or moved my head at all, he would bite me! My hair, my neck, my shirt. I couldn't do anything! I would set him down, he would repeat the same behavior! He refuses to take food or drink anything I hold and would either try to toss it or bite my finger. He won't let me leave the room without scrambling across his cage and trying to fly to me, which he would just glide to the floor (his wings are clipped). And yet when I let him sit with me he will either try to bite me or sit on my head.

He has been a very healthy boy with consistent weight, droppings, eating habits and he has been to the vet twice this year. This behavior change happened in the span of a day!

Today his behavior remains the same, perhaps a little less than yesterday. He only eats when I am not in the room, and won't take treats or food from me. He is only himself when we put him to bed, in which time he eats, gets hormonal, and beak grinds to sleep.

This breaks my heart so much because I just want to fix whatever I did! Anyone have any insight, advice, and/or tips/recommendations?

Revali

Walking the driveway
One time my bird was startled when he was out and knocked into a wall. The next day he defiantly seemed extra suspicious.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
He's probably just feeling grumpy. Give him a few more days. But definitely keep a close eye out for any lethargy, puffy feathers, squinty eyes, abnormal droppings, etc. Anything else unusual, get him to a vet.

Otherwise, just wait until he lets you out of the doghouse. :lol:

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
He's probably just feeling grumpy. Give him a few more days. But definitely keep a close eye out for any lethargy, puffy feathers, squinty eyes, abnormal droppings, etc. Anything else unusual, get him to a vet.

Otherwise, just wait until he lets you out of the doghouse. :lol:
LUCKILY his temperament has reduced to a minimum! He'll bite me occasionally if I laugh or if I make kissy noises (which he was totally fine with prior!) I totally agree! He gets weighed twice a week and I check his droppings daily. Both remain unchanged. He has a daily routine that I keep an eye on. Like if he eats all his fruit and veggies in the morning, if he chewed up his toys, if he ate some pellets, etc. If anything goes amiss with that as well I would definitely take him straight to his vet! He has been looking a little fluffy lately, but at this time I am thinking that is him either being comfy, or making himself appear bigger around me while he is grumpy. (He does that whenever my boyfriend is around. :p) But rest assured I am paranoid as heck and am on high alert! Lol!

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
This happened to me with my green cheek conure. I moved his cage to the living room thinking he could get more traffic and attention but he started attacking my roommate, attacking me, being crazy. Moved him back to the library room and complete turn around. I think your bird is mad but it'll pass now that things are back to normal.