• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Considering Getting a Parrot -- Need Some Advice

Birdies!

Moving in
Hey Avian Avenue, I hope y'all are having a good day :) Sorry if the tags/thread/formatting is wrong, I just found out about this site.

A pet care group took down a backyard breeder in my area a few months ago and shelters are still overflowed with parrots. It sparked an interest in me and I have been researching about parrots for a while now and have narrowed my search down to lovebirds, budgies, cockatiels, parrotlets, and linnies.

I have been able to find answers to the majority of my questions, but I have a few specific ones.
  • Does "bonding" time have to be dedicated bonding time, or can I just let the bird out while I do something like reading/writing/knitting/drawing/homework? Do they enjoy the playing aspect, or just the time with you in general? I will of course still spend time spent playing with the bird.
  • Once school starts I can probably average 1.5-3 hours as hangout time. One weekends I can chill with the bird the majority of the day. Would it be more appropriate to get two birds in this case?
  • I've heard differing information about this, so I just wanted to confirm. Is it possible to "potty train" birds to mainly poop on one perch/ not poop on you? I don't mind the poop, I just see the potty training as a plus.
  • Which is the quietest out of the listed four?
  • Can birds have a flexible schedule? They will still be put to bed, fed, saying good morning, the basics, at the same time everyday, but I occasionally have after school clubs/doctor's appointments/sports/etc.
  • Which of these birds has the most cuddle/Velcro potential?
  • About how often do birds get sick? What is your average cost for avian emergence vet care?
  • Any experiences with pet insurance?
  • We travel often. Maybe 3 - 5 times a year for about 3-7 days. What is the maximum amount of time a bird could be in a car on a road trip? And how long could I leave a bird with a sitter, I wouldn't want to stress them out too much.
  • I am moving out for collage in 5 years. Would a bird be comfortable being left with my brother until I get a place that allows birds? I could always adopt a senior bird instead, of course.
For clarification I am a minor and plan on adopting a shelter bird. We have no other pets. My previous pet experience is 3 pleco fish, 2 Syrian hamsters, and a millipede farm. I have an 8 year old brother, he will only be allowed around the theoretical bird when supervised by me.

Thank you guys so much for any answers/advice! Sorry for the amount of questions, these have just been stirring for the last few months and I had to eventually ask them!

Last edited by a moderator:

RainbowFlo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Estella
Hey! Sorry I can't all your questions but I'll try, others will be here soon. The following is just my opinion so definitely take into account what others think- I'm still learning too :)

1) I think bonding time doesn't always have to be playful, watching tv together etc. is ok too. Keep in mind, some birds can be more active than others so they might not be as interested in just sitting still on your shoulder. It all the depends on the bird- species plays a role too.

3) Potty training is possible but potentially dangerous. It causes some birds who really want to please to hold in there poop until they reach their designated poop spot which is unhealthy. A better option is to lay down something (eg. paper towels) where your bird hangs out often for easy cleaning.

Sorry I couldn't help with more, I have some vague answers but would rather leave those for others :) Hope this helps a bit! Welcome to the forum!

~Estella :loveshower:

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Does "bonding" time have to be dedicated bonding time, or can I just let the bird out while I do something like reading/writing/knitting/drawing/homework? Do they enjoy the playing aspect, or just the time with you in general? I will of course still spend time spent playing with the bird.
I agree with @RainbowFlo . Anytime together is Bonding it!

Once school starts I can probably average 1.5-3 hours as hangout time. One weekends I can chill with the bird the majority of the day. Would it be more appropriate to get two birds in this case?
I would say two would be better, yes. I am in a similar situation to you and all my birds manage fine. They are much more adaptable than people give them credit for. I can help you out quite a bit as out of your list, I have budgies, linnies and parrotlets!

I've heard differing information about this, so I just wanted to confirm. Is it possible to "potty train" birds to mainly poop on one perch/ not poop on you? I don't mind the poop, I just see the potty training as a plus.
Yes, but I wouldn't for the same reasons as above.

Which is the quietest out of the listed four?
This depends on the individual bird, but I would say linnies by far! When they make noise, it is mainly just chattering, and they don't really scream.

Can birds have a flexible schedule? They will still be put to bed, fed, saying good morning, the basics, at the same time everyday, but I occasionally have after school clubs/doctor's appointments/sports/etc.
As covered above, yes.

Any experiences with pet insurance?
@taxidermynerd

@Mizzely can we get the bottom part sorted for safety?

Birdies!

Moving in
Thank you guys so much for all the help! :D
I agree with @RainbowFlo . Anytime together is Bonding it!

I would say two would be better, yes. I am in a similar situation to you and all my birds manage fine. They are much more adaptable than people give them credit for. I can help you out quite a bit as out of your list, I have budgies, linnies and parrotlets!

Yes, but I wouldn't for the same reasons as above.

This depends on the individual bird, but I would say linnies by far! When they make noise, it is mainly just chattering, and they don't really scream.

As covered above, yes.

@taxidermynerd

@Mizzely can we get the bottom part sorted for safety?
Hey! Sorry I can't all your questions but I'll try, others will be here soon. The following is just my opinion so definitely take into account what others think- I'm still learning too :)

1) I think bonding time doesn't always have to be playful, watching tv together etc. is ok too. Keep in mind, some birds can be more active than others so they might not be as interested in just sitting still on your shoulder. It all the depends on the bird- species plays a role too.

3) Potty training is possible but potentially dangerous. It causes some birds who really want to please to hold in there poop until they reach their designated poop spot which is unhealthy. A better option is to lay down something (eg. paper towels) where your bird hangs out often for easy cleaning.

Sorry I couldn't help with more, I have some vague answers but would rather leave those for others :) Hope this helps a bit! Welcome to the forum!

~Estella :loveshower:

mak

Rollerblading along the road
Hi. It's great to see you are doing your research. If you will have limited daily time to interact I would think 2 birds would be better. Will this be "your" bird or a family bird? It might make a big difference if you intend to leave for an extended period for schooling.
My previous pet experience is 3 pleco fish, 2 Syrian hamsters, and a millipede farm. I have an 8 year old brother
We won't tell your brother you said that. ;):lol:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue! :starshower1:

have narrowed my search down to lovebirds,
can I just let the bird out while I do something like reading/writing/knitting/drawing/homework?
With a lovebird, do so at your own risk. Mine will chase me down if I have any paper in my hands so they can shred it.

. Is it possible to "potty train" birds to mainly poop on one perch/ not poop on you? I don't mind the poop, I just see the potty training as a plus.
I am also against this. I keep a loo roll on my coffee table and a spray bottle with water and a blob of dishsoap in for cleanup.

Which is the quietest out of the listed four?
Linnies.

About how often do birds get sick? What is your average cost for avian emergence vet care?
This is not a helpful question for you. Some birds go their whole lives without having an emergency or getting seriously sick. Others get sick or have accidents all the time. As for cost, that all depends on where the person is located.
Just keep in mind that all living beings have the potential to become sick or get injured (no matter how great our husbnadry skills are), and avian vet care is usually more expensive that cats/dogs.

Birdies!

Moving in
Hi. It's great to see you are doing your research. If you will have limited daily time to interact I would think 2 birds would be better. Will this be "your" bird or a family bird? It might make a big difference if you intend to leave for an extended period for schooling.

We won't tell your brother you said that. ;):lol:
It would be my bird, my family isn't that big on animals lol.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
my family isn't that big on animals lol.
Would a bird be comfortable being left with my brother until I get a place that allows birds?
What about your brother? Hopefully he likes birds? Make sure he is aware of this plan before you bring home the bird, to avoid problems down the line :)

Birdies!

Moving in
Welcome to the Avenue! :starshower1:

With a lovebird, do so at your own risk. Mine will chase me down if I have any paper in my hands so they can shred it.

I am also against this. I keep a loo roll on my coffee table and a spray bottle with water and a blob of dishsoap in for cleanup.

Linnies.

This is not a helpful question for you. Some birds go their whole lives without having an emergency or getting seriously sick. Others get sick or have accidents all the time. As for cost, that all depends on where the person is located.
Just keep in mind that all living beings have the potential to become sick or get injured (no matter how great our husbnadry skills are), and avian vet care is usually more expensive that cats/dogs.
Thanks for the advice about the vet care, my local bird society has a list of good avian doctors anyway and the bird will be getting bi-yearly checkups.

And you lovebird sounds like such a cutie! :fischers:

Birdies!

Moving in
What about your brother? Hopefully he likes birds? Make sure he is aware of this plan before you bring home the bird, to avoid problems down the line :)

I just have specified my parents, my brother loves birds! We go to the shelter often to help with cleaning cages and he's somehow become best friend's with a few green-cheek conures.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have to be blunt and say that this is probably not a good time for you to get a bird. Many of the species you mention are long-lived - cockatiels and conures can live into their twenties. You will be in a very, very different place when you're 33. Perhaps you will have a partner, kids, hopefully have some kind of job. You may wish to travel, or your work may take you to a different country. You already know that you want to go away for college so will essentially have this bird for just five years before a major change. Many new college graduates will find themselves working long hours, perhaps freelancing or working multiple jobs, doing additional training or moving around a lot. Many people rent an apartment or live in a shared rented house rather than own their own property, and it can be difficult finding a place that will accept pets. All these things mean that it may be a while before you're in a position to keep a bird with you.

Bird veterinary care can be eye-wateringly expensive. I've heard anytrhing between $30-90 for just a consultation. A full health check involves blood tests, faecal tests and crop swabs. These can cost several hundred dollars just for screening. If the bird gets sick, treatment can cost thousands. If you aren't earning your own money you must have your parents on-board, aware of veterinary costs and willing to pay them. You must have a very honest conversation about exotic vet prices and their willingness to pay them, and at what point they deem treatment too expensive. It is absolutely heartbreaking when a child or teenager posts here about their extremely sick bird but tells us that their parents refuse to take the bird to the vet. The bird usually dies, often in pain or with needless suffering.

I really think it's better to keep volunteering and gaining experience. When you have finished college and are earning your own money, I'm sure you will make a bird (or two, or more!) very happy :)

Birdies!

Moving in
I have to be blunt and say that this is probably not a good time for you to get a bird. Many of the species you mention are long-lived - cockatiels and conures can live into their twenties. You will be in a very, very different place when you're 33. Perhaps you will have a partner, kids, hopefully have some kind of job. You may wish to travel, or your work may take you to a different country. You already know that you want to go away for college so will essentially have this bird for just five years before a major change. Many new college graduates will find themselves working long hours, perhaps freelancing or working multiple jobs, doing additional training or moving around a lot. Many people rent an apartment or live in a shared rented house rather than own their own property, and it can be difficult finding a place that will accept pets. All these things mean that it may be a while before you're in a position to keep a bird with you.

Bird veterinary care can be eye-wateringly expensive. I've heard anytrhing between $30-90 for just a consultation. A full health check involves blood tests, faecal tests and crop swabs. These can cost several hundred dollars just for screening. If the bird gets sick, treatment can cost thousands. If you aren't earning your own money you must have your parents on-board, aware of veterinary costs and willing to pay them. You must have a very honest conversation about exotic vet prices and their willingness to pay them, and at what point they deem treatment too expensive. It is absolutely heartbreaking when a child or teenager posts here about their extremely sick bird but tells us that their parents refuse to take the bird to the vet. The bird usually dies, often in pain or with needless suffering.

I really think it's better to keep volunteering and gaining experience. When you have finished college and are earning your own money, I'm sure you will make a bird (or two, or more!) very happy :)
First I must thank you for being blunt. I often sugar-coat things for myself to ignore why some things might not be the best for me haha.

My parents are 100% on board for anything that would happen. My first hamster was special-needs required a few surgeries, both hamsters were taken to bi-yearly checkups and boy is exotic pet care a roller coaster. I have been doing knitting commissions in my town for about 3 years so I have money saved for pet issuance costs and I always have payed a part of my pet's vet care.

If I were to get a bird at this point it would be a senior bird or a foster. Thank you for all the help guys :D

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Conures definitely can be needy. I have four birds, a lovebird, a bonded pair of linnies, and a conure. My linnies are pretty good on their own since they are a bonded pair, however they do need daily flight time. My lovebird is very active (as lovebirds are) and I aim for a minimum of an hour of time a day for her to be out and flying. My conure is the most demanding of my birds. He wants my attention all day every day. I unexpectedly went into the hospital for a few days in January and a few weeks later he started chewing his feathers. They can certainly adapt to changes in routines within reason. Don't get me wrong, I love the little brat, but he can be difficult. There's the joke amongst bird people that we don't go on vacation for a reason. Going out of town is really stressful on them. It's great that you are considering rescuing a bird but I agree it's probably not the best time for you. Birds really need someone who is settled down and has a fairly set routine.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think a senior bird could work as long as you're prepared for end of life care which can be expensive. A foster would be even better - even a succession of different fosters so you get experience with different personalities. It will all help you when you are settled enough for a long-term companion. I didn't get Leia until my early thirties and it was a good decision: I'm settled, have a pretty stable routine, get paid pretty well and if she needs something, I can just get it for her. For example, her holiday boarding costs more than my holiday. My parents wouldn't have been thrilled about paying for that but I can decide that that's where I want to put my money (I still got an "omg, HOW much?!?" though).

My first hamster was special-needs required a few surgeries, both hamsters were taken to bi-yearly checkups and boy is exotic pet care a roller coaster.
I know the feeling but in my experience, avian care makes mammal care pale in comparison. I had rats and nursed them through various things - mammary gland tumours, a zymbal's gland tumour, pneumonia and respiratory illnesses among other things. A lumpectomy cost me about £140, with an appointment at about £30 - let's say £170 in all. My most recent bill for Leia was £319 for just an appointment, a blood profile, a viral profile and a blood zinc test. That's without any treatment. Someone like @Hankmacaw, whose macaw has long-term heart failure, will be able to tell you how many thousands of dollars go into caring for a special needs parrot.

Avian veterinary care is in a league of its own and you really, really need to make your parents aware of that. If you foster, a rescue may pay some or all of the vet costs.

Birdies!

Moving in
Conures definitely can be needy. I have four birds, a lovebird, a bonded pair of linnies, and a conure. My linnies are pretty good on their own since they are a bonded pair, however they do need daily flight time. My lovebird is very active (as lovebirds are) and I aim for a minimum of an hour of time a day for her to be out and flying. My conure is the most demanding of my birds. He wants my attention all day every day. I unexpectedly went into the hospital for a few days in January and a few weeks later he started chewing his feathers. They can certainly adapt to changes in routines within reason. Don't get me wrong, I love the little brat, but he can be difficult. There's the joke amongst bird people that we don't go on vacation for a reason. Going out of town is really stressful on them. It's great that you are considering rescuing a bird but I agree it's probably not the best time for you. Birds really need someone who is settled down and has a fairly set routine.
Aww, poor birdie. I hope both you and your conure are doing better.

I had absolutely no idea that it could stress them that much! It's definitely something for me to keep in mind.

And yeah, a permanent bird would probably not be best. I've been browsing the threads and birds seem more like toddlers than pets :lol: I'm a bit busier this summer, so next summer I'll be check if my parrot shelter has any fostering opportunities!

Birdies!

Moving in
I think a senior bird could work as long as you're prepared for end of life care which can be expensive. A foster would be even better - even a succession of different fosters so you get experience with different personalities.
I'm absolutely going to look into fostering instead after reading this thread! I wouldn't be able to provide the best for a permanent bird currently, and the birdies health and happiness would be the most important thing.

I'll hopefully be able to get a bird after collage. If I end up with a foster I'll update you guys with bird pics :) .