• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Confused about my bird

Shriya

Meeting neighbors
@Mockinbirdiva This cage is a temporary one. We have already ordered for a very big customised one. It will be delivered to us soon. Thanks for the insight about the diet. I did try to find out pellets etc for him but they didn't have many varieties. I did buy sunflower seeds. Rest I can order online. Which pellets you provide to your birds? Can you please share the name? Any links to that diet based discussion? Am unable to search it here. It would be great if you can share the link. Thanks for your precious advice!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Ah... I see. Now you make me happy. I'm glad you ordered a large cage for your bird. Does the company you ordered it from also sell other supplies and food for birds? I'll look at the website for what they do offer. I feed my conures "Roudybush Mini" ( size appropriate for small birds) and "Zupreem Natural". I also feed my birds a seed mix I blend but the importance of the pellets is foremost since they are formulated to be a nutritious diet. In addition to the pellets and seed I feed fresh vegetables daily. You will have to find suppliers that can ship to your country. The links below are just for you to look at the different pellets available... and there are more types too. I just ordered Caitec Fresh Oven Bites from Drs. Foster and Smith. It's new for my birds and they aren't sure they like it but I'll offer it along with my other pellets. I like to offer a variety of foods. I would not feed a bird a diet of sunflower seeds. They package seed that contains a high volume of sunflower seeds and label it "Parrot Food". The truth is .. it's not healthy and equal to feeding a kid a diet of fattening potato chips.

Tops has very good ingredients:
Amazon.com : TOP's Parrot Food Small Pellets for Birds - 12oz / 340g : Pet Supplies

Amazon.com : Zupreem 230353 Natural Medium Bird Food, 2.5-Pound : Pet Food : Pet Supplies

Amazon.com : RoudyBush Daily Maintenance Bird Food, Mini, 44-Ounce : Pet Food : Pet Supplies

Amazon.com : Harrisons High Potency Fine 5lb ... : Pet Food : Pet Supplies

Caitec Oven Fresh Bites - NUTRITIOUS! On SALE!

Forums for Food and Enrichment for you to read:

Feathered Food Court | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Shriya

Meeting neighbors
@Mockinbirdiva That's a great help with all the information you gave. Thank you so much! And the cage we have ordered will be made by a local company. They don't have a website as such. They just asked about our requirements and what kind of toys and perches we require. They will make a customised one.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Mockinbirdiva That's a great help with all the information you gave. Thank you so much! And the cage we have ordered will be made by a local company. They don't have a website as such. They just asked about our requirements and what kind of toys and perches we require. They will make a customised one.
You do need to inquire about the type of metal wire they will be using. Some metals can be toxic to birds.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
It depends on the bird. If they are completely uncomfortable with it, please don't. I have 19 conures so I will likely never use the bird diaper or harness. Plus they have their own room and may poop as they please. Usually the only place they travel is to the vet and bird poo is encouraged there (for testing).

Shriya

Meeting neighbors
It depends on the bird. If they are completely uncomfortable with it, please don't. I have 19 conures so I will likely never use the bird diaper or harness. Plus they have their own room and may poop as they please. Usually the only place they travel is to the vet and bird poo is encouraged there (for testing).
Ok. Thank you for your quick response.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Bird diapers are usually just silly and not needed.
I have found that my birds all go back to their cage or another place they decide on when they need to poop. One of mine likes the back of a chair so I put a newspaper under the chair. My Hahns either does the "poop dance" or says "Yep" when he has to poop and I hold him over paper. My G2 flies back to his cage every time. My OWA is non-flighted thru old injury and she will hold it a very long time so I make sure to take her back to her cage or playstand at intervals if she's on me so she can poop.
I think once they like you they usually won't poop on you of their own decision. Except for budgies and they just need to go too often, and who cares about budgie poop anyway.

Shriya

Meeting neighbors
I have found that my birds all go back to their cage or another place they decide on when they need to poop. One of mine likes the back of a chair so I put a newspaper under the chair. My Hahns either does the "poop dance" or says "Yep" when he has to poop and I hold him over paper. My G2 flies back to his cage every time. My OWA is non-flighted thru old injury and she will hold it a very long time so I make sure to take her back to her cage or playstand at intervals if she's on me so she can poop.
I think once they like you they usually won't poop on you of their own decision. Except for budgies and they just need to go too often, and who cares about budgie poop anyway.
So good to know all that about your sweet birds. I think it's better I don't opt for diapers. Thanks for your advice!

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
I think diapers are a personal thing. If the bird is OK with it then I guess it's OK.
My sun conure is potty trained some what. Farlie does not like to poop in his cage so I must let him out periodically so he can poop on an outside perch I have set up for him. (He trained himself to poop there, BTW.) When he is on me and playing I give him a break about every 15 to 20 minutes and hold him over a trash basket and say, "POOP" and he will. We then go back to playing again for another 15 to 20 minutes.
I wear a 'poop shirt' when we are together. Birds will have accidents and I've been pooped on a number or times. It's part of having a bird.
Poop training is pretty easy tho so it's up to the bird, really.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
That baby is a Jendary conure. I'm 100% positive on this.

Reasons:

Face Is too yellow
Wing's lack yellow
Too orange belly

Typical baby Jenday.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

:rofl:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Mockinbirdiva
@webchirp @Farlie
Few bird owners are suggesting me to put on a bird diaper when my bird is out of his cage. What's your opinion about this? Any suggestions?
I personally wouldn't use them because... for me it would be an awkward item to fit onto a bird, changing the pad out after use.... I'd rather pick up paper that has poo on it, the bird may not like having it on if it's restrictive. I don't know.... what is the purpose? To allow your bird to fly around and not poop on anything? You can train your bird to stay in locations where pooping is acceptable and you have paper in those areas that will be picked up. Some birds will fly back to their cages to poo and then come back to you. I have one bird like that out of the six conures. The rest pretty much stay on their cages and have perches on the outside of the cage and hang out there when doors are open to their cages.... so they poo and it hits the paper under those perches. And.... sometimes I get pooped on. But usually because I didn't pay attention to the bird on the perch when I was bent over cleaning. It really only makes me unhappy if it happens to be my head.

Shriya

Meeting neighbors
I think diapers are a personal thing. If the bird is OK with it then I guess it's OK.
My sun conure is potty trained some what. Farlie does not like to poop in his cage so I must let him out periodically so he can poop on an outside perch I have set up for him. (He trained himself to poop there, BTW.) When he is on me and playing I give him a break about every 15 to 20 minutes and hold him over a trash basket and say, "POOP" and he will. We then go back to playing again for another 15 to 20 minutes.
I wear a 'poop shirt' when we are together. Birds will have accidents and I've been pooped on a number or times. It's part of having a bird.
Poop training is pretty easy tho so it's up to the bird, really.
That's so good your pretty bird trained himself. I think I need to find out how to train my bird. By the way the Pet cart guy who gave me Jenday conure came to us and took the bird back saying it's not a Sun Conure but a Jenday. He said he will be bringing a Sun Conure to us soon. Waiting for my bird now. So gathering all the information I can before my bird arrives. Though am really missing my Jenday now. He was there with us for 3 days but I got really attached to the sweet little bird :(

Shriya

Meeting neighbors
I personally wouldn't use them because... for me it would be an awkward item to fit onto a bird, changing the pad out after use.... I'd rather pick up paper that has poo on it, the bird may not like having it on if it's restrictive. I don't know.... what is the purpose? To allow your bird to fly around and not poop on anything? You can train your bird to stay in locations where pooping is acceptable and you have paper in those areas that will be picked up. Some birds will fly back to their cages to poo and then come back to you. I have one bird like that out of the six conures. The rest pretty much stay on their cages and have perches on the outside of the cage and hang out there when doors are open to their cages.... so they poo and it hits the paper under those perches. And.... sometimes I get pooped on. But usually because I didn't pay attention to the bird on the perch when I was bent over cleaning. It really only makes me unhappy if it happens to be my head.
Got your point! I will try and find out how to potty train my bird instead of using diapers. Thanks for the advice! :)