• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Confused about my bird

Shriya

Meeting neighbors
Hey I am new here.. I just brought my first bird home and the guy who sold it to me said that it's a Sun Conure. He is around 6 months old. Though now when I looked at it closely it looks like Jenday to me.. Really confused about this.. Can someone help me find out what he actually is? Posting a few pictures of him... Please help!
20181207_094152.jpg
20181207_093046.jpg 20181206_214742.jpg

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Image00010~2.jpg
Hi :) Sorry I'm not an expert with conures. I do think Suns and Jendays look quite similar. I believe Suns have more yellow in them so I think you may be right that he's a Jenday. But I couldn't tell you for sure. He sure is pretty thou :)

@webchirp might be able to help you :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Congratulations and welcome to the Avenue.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I believe you have a Jenday as well. Can you give us more details on where you purchased this bird? We're here to help you with appropriate diet, cage size, perches, toys, treats. .. the list goes on. Just ask!

Shriya

Meeting neighbors
@Mockinbirdiva Purchased him from a local pet store in India. They asked me to order my choice of bird so I ordered a Sun Conure. Later I got a call from them that they have one and so I went there and brought him home. He is around 6 months old. Please do let me know what exactly to feed him. Gave him apple and seed mix today. Never owned a bird earlier so am all confused about the feeding and taming part. Thanks for the help!

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
Hi and welcome to AA.
I am sure that the members shall give you a definite answer to the birds species.
Along with dietary help etc.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Welcome!
Yes, since he is young he will look more like a Jenday until he molts.
Then you will have a better idea.
A word to the wise.....give him a variety of perch materials and sizes so he doesn't get sores on his feet. Some nice natural branches from trees that are bird-safe (you can check with us) would be lovely

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes, I'd think he is a Jenday as well. Don't let that stop you if he is a sweet bird. My sun as a baby was splotchy and is now mostly yellow but she is 15. If you don't have access to nutriberries, pellets, a good fresh food diet can work. Limit seeds as they can cause heart/liver disease. Certain foods are toxic so you should also check out some of the other avenue posts on diet. And cage materials too...metals other than stainless can be very toxic.

Last edited:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Mockinbirdiva Purchased him from a local pet store in India. They asked me to order my choice of bird so I ordered a Sun Conure. Later I got a call from them that they have one and so I went there and brought him home. He is around 6 months old. Please do let me know what exactly to feed him. Gave him apple and seed mix today. Never owned a bird earlier so am all confused about the feeding and taming part. Thanks for the help!
As mentioned above an all seed diet is not healthy for your bird. I think it's a big misconception that all birds live on seed diets and it just isn't true. They need great variety in fresh foods as well as a pelleted diet which is comprised of several ingredients with additives to supply them with minerals, vitamins and nourishment. So, if you bought your bird at the pet store did you look over all the food supplies and see any bags of pelleted foods? If so, what are the brands? Can you order foods online to be delivered to your home if your pet store doesn't carry a pelleted diet? Name brands like .. Roudybush, Zupreem, Harrisons, Tops... just to name a few brands. We have a section here on the avenue that will have topics on diets and recipes for foods you can make to serve in addition to a pellet diet as well as a list of fresh foods ( vegetables and fruits) that are safe for your bird to eat. You can feed seed as well but it should be a small portion of the daily diet.

I can tell from your photo the cage you have your bird in might be too small for it to live in. When you get a chance post a bigger photo and we'll help you graduate to a larger and more friendly environment for your new bird.