• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo or macaw?

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay

I use microfiber spill proof table cloths. :D Heavy weight, no soaking through, easy to wash. My guys LOVE TOWELS but don't touch these table cloths. :confused: It's a mystery. :laugh:
I'll have to look for these!

BashTinkLuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
OST
I used to have a cockatoo.. and now I have a Blue and Gold Macaw.. My cockatoo was sulphur crested cockatoo, and only stay for a night with me (she arrived at 1 AM, then at 6 PM I asked my husband to rehome him)... I mean, the cockatoo is super needy and screamer. She really screamed her lung out, when she saw no people around her, even when she saw people around her, and it was stressful moment for me and my current flock (african grey, sun conure, white bellied caique, crimson bellied conure, lovebirds, indian ringneck, dan cockatiel). So I decided, cockatoo didn't fit well in our flock, decided to rehome her again (before fell in love deeper).
Now I have a macaw.. My blue and gold is super sweet... She screams too, but only few times like when she hears me home or when she hears my voice, not as scary screamer as cockatoo.. She is not really needy, as cockatoo.. She doesnt play too much with her beak, while cockatoo is an expert destroyer. My macaw knows how to use her beak gently or hard, even notice when I said "ouch" then she stops nipping me.
Buttttt.... Macaw tends to be one person bird.. While cockatoo loves people as long as they got loved by all, they will be happy. Macaw only needs his owner's attention and very loving towards his chosen person.

Lupen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaitlyn
I know this is a necro’d thread, I don’t know how long ago you had your cockatoo and I try not to judge but.. Noise and neediness are the first two things you’d come across when researching or reading about cockatoos... Having to rehome within a single day could have easily been avoided as it’s so easy to see when they are completely incompatible. :( But I guess it was for the best neither got attached beforehand.

I know I’ll never be able to handle any cockatoo aside from perhaps a galah or a cockatiel but I’ll always admire them from a distance.

BashTinkLuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
OST
I know this is a necro’d thread, I don’t know how long ago you had your cockatoo and I try not to judge but.. Noise and neediness are the first two things you’d come across when researching or reading about cockatoos... Having to rehome within a single day could have easily been avoided as it’s so easy to see when they are completely incompatible. :( But I guess it was for the best neither got attached beforehand.

I know I’ll never be able to handle any cockatoo aside from perhaps a galah or a cockatiel but I’ll always admire them from a distance.
Yes, before getting a cockatoo, I have done lot of researches. I have been owning many types of parrots at same time.. They all said, cockatoo is super loud, the same as they said, caiques are super loud, sun conures are super loud.. But still I can handle it, though. But all theories will be different once you have to face it and practice it. My cockatoo definitely would scream when she didn't see any human in her view, or when it's her time to scream, she will scream non-stop (at 6 PM and 6 AM), a typical of sulphur crested cockatoo. I saw all my birds became stressful when Lily came, so different than my macaw, they enjoy screaming together. And also one thing I couldn't handle is, my cockatoo was illegal. If any neighbor disliked the scream from my cockatoo (which can be heard from other blocks), they might report me to police, and I didn't have any legal document for my cockatoo... I was actually searching for any legal document, but that could be expensive, and I got complained from neighbor and family member (my father in law was stroke, so maybe the scream-attack from cockatoo is not suited for his condition)... But why I bought the cockatoo if I know she was illegal? I thought the voice won't be that loud, and all my friends won't warn me that hard about owning illegal parrots.

BashTinkLuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
OST
Why not trying blue eyed cockatoo? My friend told me blue eyed has good personalities.. I am dreaming of getting smaller cockatoo, like goffin (the legal one), but maybe it will be only dream for me until I retire from my job (which is still 25++ years). 10 birds in my flock are enough, for me right now..
Cockatiel is sweet, I have one... She craves for scratches.. She even talks. But, she is super fragile. Once she was so sick, almost died. Luckily, she got cured at the moment.
My friend had a galah, which she rehomed, cos the galah loves to destroy her furnitures (she is typical of fashionable lady who loves everything perfect). Small beak, but big aggression too... Once galah reached hormonal stage, it will be a problem.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Why not trying blue eyed cockatoo? My friend told me blue eyed has good personalities.. I am dreaming of getting smaller cockatoo, like goffin (the legal one), but maybe it will be only dream for me until I retire from my job (which is still 25++ years). 10 birds in my flock are enough, for me right now..
Cockatiel is sweet, I have one... She craves for scratches.. She even talks. But, she is super fragile. Once she was so sick, almost died. Luckily, she got cured at the moment.
My friend had a galah, which she rehomed, cos the galah loves to destroy her furnitures (she is typical of fashionable lady who loves everything perfect). Small beak, but big aggression too... Once galah reached hormonal stage, it will be a problem.
Blue-eyed cockatoos are extremely rare in captivity, especially in the United States. Here, almost all, if not all, are found in breeding programs and not sold as pets.