• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo or macaw?

firdy num num

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
I am willing to adopt a rescue but have no rescues nor shelters around where I live. Unless I travel far I might find one.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
I have both, and it really depends on what you want out of a bird. Do you want a bird that is happy to have you in the room talking to them, but doesn't want to be cuddled as snuggled all the time? That would be a macaw. Macaws are a little slower and more deliberate than Toos. Toos are quicker - quick to anger sometimes, but quick to forgive as well.

A Too would probably be easier to come by down under, and different species of Toos are different. I don't know which to tell you. My vote would probably be for a CAG. :D

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Good luck with whatever you choose, I'm hope the right bird will find you.
:joyful:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Be careful what you wish for my dear. You just might get it.

The fact that you're asking this question says that you have absolutely no face to face experience with either one. You cannot rely on what others say or what you read. You have to find a way to meet both species and see for yourself how they are.

The best way to get a large parrot is to meet lots of them (hopefully at a rescue) and let one pick "you". Once that "adult" bird has chosen "you", That will be the best and easiest bird to establish a lifelong friendship with. More than likely "till death do you part". :)

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Thanks John, :) yesterday I went to a place where a lot of cockatoo species are. One looked like it was going to kill me but didn't go near that one, :lol:but I did meet the sweetest RTBC. :heart:I'm going to continue my search until I truly find *the* one. :D

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't have cockatoo experience, well I worked part time in a bird store once does that count :D But I do have a few months of young macaw experience :blink:

Man it's been a rough learning and settling down period. I love Perry to death but boy she is crazy and always on the move! When she first came home I had bad anxiety, which I have never experienced before... She screamed a LOT while she was in her cage and that made for unhappy dogs, grey and husband. She flew like a wild child (still does) all over getting into things, knocking things down :wacky:. She tossed her food out of the bowl and would crap while hanging on the side of her cage, total opposite from my easy going, clean, good boy Babalu. It would take me like 30 mins just to clean her cage every day :eek:

While things are 85% better now, if I knew now what I (we), would have to go through for months to get to this point... I'm not sure I would do it again. A big bird changes everything!

She is a lover though, and would rather be on my shoulder cuddling or on my lap wrestling with a towel, then on a play stand or her atom. She goes through a lot of food/nuts and toys! X4 the amount of my grey :broke: But the love and affection and silliness she gives me has made up for all of this :heart2:

My experience will prob be different than yours if you are adopting, as you will prob get an older bird than mine. Just be prepared to have a TON more work then taking after your small birds :p

:sleeping3:

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
The level of destruction that a larger beak can do, I would recommend on you having a good cage to have him/her in while you cannot supervise, I someone tell me that their parents left their Alexandrine cage free and it chewed up their kitchen! I would hate to think what a large macaw or too could do. Having an outdoor play aviary is also a great idea especially for the larger birds to get fresh air, sunlight and rain.

Pionus are very rare here in Australia, I'm actually not entirely sure we have them here.

The Red Tailed Blacks are gorgeous, I had considered them myself at one stage until I spent a day near one, and the noise it made helped me to decide pretty quick that I would be driven insane, which is a shame as their flock calls of the Black Toos are haunting and beautiful. Also check out Licensing and many states in Australia require you to have a license to own them.

I can only give advice about my Hahns, he's a really lovely little fellow, very sweet, loves attention perhaps a little too much I would have loved to get another for company for him as he is infatuated with Giacomo but they can't be out together to play and cuddle but the breeder hasn't had bubs this years as the season has been too dry so will have to wait another year.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
A question I have for the O P.

When it comes to large birds you NEED A BIG CAGE AND ENVIRONMENT.

Have you started looking for jumbo size cage to keep an XL bird in? Do you have space for a cage or playstands?

I think you read you want a cage 'too? (Or was that a different thread, lol)

I applaud you for the thought. Im trying something similar on two of 5 of my birds. I have had these birds for years and know their personalities to be able to do this. I also have five large size play areas for them to be on. And theyre in their own living room.

For one large macaw or cockatoo, cage free, you'll probably need atleast three playstands to keep it intertained and establish that THAT is bird space. Where it can play, eat, drink and poop, etc. So thats probably 12' long space. More or less. But for my two uncaged U2s, they need the entire 300 square foot room.

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Mercedez, this year I am building a bird room, right now it's a mess because I'm working on it but I have watched videos telling me how big the space should be and I think the room will be perfect. Like I said I am deciding which one, So I'm not trying to push myself into excitement yet. And you said 300sq room for both of your toos, so about 150sq for one? Thanks for your help everyone, :hug8:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Another thing to consider is your age. Are your parents willing to take care of the large bird when you go to University. Also when saving money I think you should have at least twice the estimated cost of the bird and cage. This will give you a vet, toy and food fund. Good luck with your learning and search just don't rush it. Waiting until after you finish university would be wise.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Are you with someone? One thing I do know, is being owned by a large parrot, makes it very hard to find boyfriends/husbands. Even friends may stop wanting to come over.

You being so young, I worry sometimes that you're not prepared for the reality of all you want.

My daughters hate to come visit. They grew up with my birds too! But when they do come, it's first 30 minutes of screaming, as two of my birds want out to see them. Then the rest of the visit is one of my birds demanding (the other just longing) to be in their laps. They do not find visiting their old mom very fun, they can only take if for short periods. :wacky:

Are you sure you're ready for that? The large parrots are with you forever. :eek: They live as long as you do. Having them changes you life forever. Think before taking that huge leap.

Then babies may come. It's the few that manage to keep loving their large parrots and their babies both.

I'm not saying it's not a life that you may thrive in, but few young people do.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
I don't have cockatoo experience, well I worked part time in a bird store once does that count :D But I do have a few months of young macaw experience :blink:

Man it's been a rough learning and settling down period. I love Perry to death but boy she is crazy and always on the move! When she first came home I had bad anxiety, which I have never experienced before... She screamed a LOT while she was in her cage and that made for unhappy dogs, grey and husband. She flew like a wild child (still does) all over getting into things, knocking things down :wacky:. She tossed her food out of the bowl and would crap while hanging on the side of her cage, total opposite from my easy going, clean, good boy Babalu. It would take me like 30 mins just to clean her cage every day :eek:

While things are 85% better now, if I knew now what I (we), would have to go through for months to get to this point... I'm not sure I would do it again. A big bird changes everything!

She is a lover though, and would rather be on my shoulder cuddling or on my lap wrestling with a towel, then on a play stand or her atom. She goes through a lot of food/nuts and toys! X4 the amount of my grey :broke: But the love and affection and silliness she gives me has made up for all of this :heart2:

My experience will prob be different than yours if you are adopting, as you will prob get an older bird than mine. Just be prepared to have a TON more work then taking after your small birds :p

:sleeping3:

Just for the record, while I have never spent a ton of time around a BTM, from what I understand they are more Too-ish than a lot of macaws. They are very mechanically inclined and tend to be escape artists, and they are also very active, which sounds like what KimKim is experiencing. Kirby is the only one of my 3 macaws I knew as a baby, and while he was more cuddly and needier than he is today, he never reached the level that KimKim describes. It may not be fair to apply this to a more common macaw species like a B&G. Other BTM folks can correct me if I'm wrong.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Just for the record, while I have never spent a ton of time around a BTM, from what I understand they are more Too-ish than a lot of macaws. They are very mechanically inclined and tend to be escape artists, and they are also very active, which sounds like what KimKim is experiencing. Kirby is the only one of my 3 macaws I knew as a baby, and while he was more cuddly and needier than he is today, he never reached the level that KimKim describes. It may not be fair to apply this to a more common macaw species like a B&G. Other BTM folks can correct me if I'm wrong.

Kim has described Korbel spot on, Sam too without the flying. ;) :lol:

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
If you are young and going to University is in the future, I would recommend holding off for a few years until your life is more settled down and then go the Macaw route as 'Toos are just too needy.

sonja

Jogging around the block
I would also recommend waiting until you are in your own home, which you preferably own, with a steady job and your life is more settled. So, so many birds lose their homes because of the normal, foreseeable, life changes like college, renting, babies, etc.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't know if it's the species of macaw or not, but my miligold has been a dream bird so far. True, he's still a baby at 5 months of age, but he has such an even keeled personality that is so endearing. He can keep himself entertained for long periods of time. He's engaging, cuddly and quite 'the dork'!

We have a double macaw cage, which is a must as far as the size needed for these amazing birds.

Blupogu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
:hug8: I would take 5 years .....to study, research, talk to owners, read, foster a bird for few months, do more research, ask myself if i really really want...if the answer is still yes after that long ....then i'd be sure the novelty might wear offf, but commitment won't.

I'd give the same amount of thought i'd give a man before marrying him as i'd want it to be "till death do us apart"....

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Kim has described Korbel spot on, Sam too without the flying. ;) :lol:
Ok, so there goes that theory. Although isn't Korbel totally over the top in general? :laugh:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
From what I understand, the OP is very young. So my advice is to wait -- macaw and cockatoo beaks can do quite the damage to a young child. I don't doubt your responsibility, but at your age, nothing is set in stone and changes are abound -- it would do to wait until a more settled period of your life. A macaw /cockatoo is a lifetime commitment, one I don't believe one should be taking on so young.