• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo or macaw?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Are you with someone? One thing I do know, is being owned by a large parrot, makes it very hard to find boyfriends/husbands. Even friends may stop wanting to come over.

You being so young, I worry sometimes that you're not prepared for the reality of all you want.

My daughters hate to come visit. They grew up with my birds too! But when they do come, it's first 30 minutes of screaming, as two of my birds want out to see them. Then the rest of the visit is one of my birds demanding (the other just longing) to be in their laps. They do not find visiting their old mom very fun, they can only take if for short periods. :wacky:

Are you sure you're ready for that? The large parrots are with you forever. :eek: They live as long as you do. Having them changes you life forever. Think before taking that huge leap.

Then babies may come. It's the few that manage to keep loving their large parrots and their babies both.

I'm not saying it's not a life that you may thrive in, but few young people do.
Most of my family goes through the same situation as your daughters do. The littles love visitors-they want to sit on their shoulders-like they do when they go out visiting. The problem arises when two birds want the same shoulder-the squabble begins. Not too many people like two tiels squalling and hissing on their shoulder or in their lap.
Then there's Milton... :rolleyes:...I won't even go into what he does when somebody visits. :rolleyes:
Sorry for the hijack...

birdle

Rollerblading along the road
Yea I got the feeling that OP was young. Like younger than high school age, but correct me if Im wrong. I'm in my 2nd year of college and love my birds but am waiting to get anything larger till I am graduated and working. it sucks waiting but I know it's for the best.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't know if it's the species of macaw or not, but my miligold has been a dream bird so far. True, he's still a baby at 5 months of age, but he has such an even keeled personality that is so endearing. He can keep himself entertained for long periods of time. He's engaging, cuddly and quite 'the dork'!

We have a double macaw cage, which is a must as far as the size needed for these amazing birds.

Ha! Just you wait! :laugh: Learn to love your little one now....changes are acoming. :roflmao:

No 5 month old baby will ever show you what you'll end up with. Put these days down on record..video...photos...just so you'll be able to go back and believe it was once so. :p

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Ha! Just you wait! :laugh: Learn to love your little one now....changes are acoming. :roflmao:

No 5 month old baby will ever show you what you'll end up with. Put these days down on record..video...photos...just so you'll be able to go back and believe it was once so. :p
Oh, no! My baby is always going to be this sweet! :hehe:
I have had babies evolve into adult birds and know what you're saying. And yes, I'm enjoying these moments! ;)

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:) I dont have ANY experience with Macaws..and have VERY LITTLE experience with toos....but from the little experience I DO have with a U2...I can tell ya ...ya dont want one...unless of course..you are ready to totally dedicate the next few decades just to him/her and leave your present life in the dust...

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I thought that I was ready for a Galah cockatoo. There are many times I wonder what the hell was I thinking. He is more needy. More nippy and a lot bigger challenge than all my other birds combined.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Did I say....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Exactly, I have been also remotely interested in the red tailed black cockatoo, the structure of the face is beautiful! :heart:
I would get a Red Tail in a heart beat if I could! OMG...just thinking of it makes me absolutely melt! But, they are Cockatoos!:)

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Thanks for a,l of your info everyone!, Ok everyone, things that are out up on the internet/Google might not be true from what I have read, I believe your guys and gals opinions, I might have to wait a few years until I actually decide. :) But it comes to mind, if macaws are big (and so are toos) and that macaws are my dream bird, can the people with mini macaws come forward? Maybe a mini would get me started before a big macaw. ;)
Once again thanks for all your opinions, info and help :hug8:

Hofstadter

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ред
Warning, cockatoos are one of the most birds in all of australia. There is a big reason for that. Keep it in mind.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
From everything I've seen and read mini-macs are just as challenging as the big guys. Don't mistake size for ease of care....

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Ok, so there goes that theory. Although isn't Korbel totally over the top in general? :laugh:

Over the top and then some. :rolleyes: As he was my first young macaw I felt like everyone that had a young macaw must be nutz! Who on earth would do this a second time... or have two? :rofl: When we got Maui I quickly realized "it was Korbel that was crazy" not all babies. :laugh: Sambuca just proved it was not a one in a million shot. :p

Firdy... What is it that you like about the larger parrots? What is your daily routine like and how would you see this larger parrot being a part of it? You asked if a big beak would be a good fit for you..... :D Your going to have to answer a few questions about yourself. :laugh: Do you like noise? How about messes? Are you easy going about things and have the ability to go with the flow? If you clean your whole bird room spotless and two moments later a bird comes through and splatter bombs poop everywhere will you smile about it? :hilarious:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I don't have big macaw experience but a do have a Hahnsie. Guiseppe is sweet and loveable. He is a velcro bird as in when he is out and about he wants to be on you. However he only accepts scritches for short periods of time and try to snuggle him at your own risk. You are his jungle gym and dance floor. Not his cuddle partner. He is a little nippy with very little warning before he nips. His eyes pin just a split second before the nip. If you are not looking him in the eye you will probably miss it.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Are you easy going about things and have the ability to go with the flow? If you clean your whole bird room spotless and two moments later a bird comes through and splatter bombs poop everywhere will you smile about it? :hilarious:
I am not a neat freak, but lately it's been bugging me that I spend literally half of my "not at work" time cleaning up after the birds and the rest of my house is always a mess because the bird room is a 'MUST DO' while it feels like dusting bookshelves can be put off. I did a HUGE clean and reorg in the bird room the day after Christmas and got the rest of the downstairs looking good. I swore I was going to keep up with the nice clean downstairs, but I'm so wiped out at night that I rarely get more than birds/dishes/kitchen done.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I am not a neat freak, but lately it's been bugging me that I spend literally half of my "not at work" time cleaning up after the birds and the rest of my house is always a mess because the bird room is a 'MUST DO' while it feels like dusting bookshelves can be put off. I did a HUGE clean and reorg in the bird room the day after Christmas and got the rest of the downstairs looking good. I swore I was going to keep up with the nice clean downstairs, but I'm so wiped out at night that I rarely get more than birds/dishes/kitchen done.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We live a VERY SIMILAR LIFE. I am a neat freak but since bringing five large macaws home I have learned to adjust my expectations of what "neat" is. :wideyed: If I cleaned it once in a day, it does not need to be cleaned again. Which is hard for me especially if I am walking across the carpet stepping on wood pieces and nut shells. :laugh:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We live a VERY SIMILAR LIFE. I am a neat freak but since bringing five large macaws home I have learned to adjust my expectations of what "neat" is. :wideyed: If I cleaned it once in a day, it does not need to be cleaned again. Which is hard for me especially if I am walking across the carpet stepping on wood pieces and nut shells. :laugh:
That would bug me and I no neat freak. My mom is OCD neat freak and says Im a slob. :o: Bujust But cant stand walking on wood pieces and nut shells or pellets. Gotta sweap it up. I also tend to walk barefoot. But a pile of bird poop doesnt bother me. Especislly if its on a towel that it should fall on. :cool:

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
That would bug me and I no neat freak. My mom is OCD neat freak and says Im a slob. :o: Bujust But cant stand walking on wood pieces and nut shells or pellets. Gotta sweap it up. I also tend to walk barefoot. But a pile of bird poop doesnt bother me. Especislly if its on a towel that it should fall on. :cool:
I have a 'what to put on the floor' dilema. If I use newspaper, the macaws flap and it goes everywhere. If I use towels, Chico hits the floor and drags them off to make a nest. If I don't let him get on the floor, he has a nervous breakdown staring at the lovely towel that he can't reach. OK, I don't want to steal the thread. But Firdy...... you see what happens when you live with teradactyls.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
And people wonder why I dont like using newspapers on the ground. They dont realize how obnoxious it is to have to run around collecting the paper after each wing flap. And using wooded blocks? Tried it! Made it works.

Towels are my best friend. My birds chew on them and also drag thdm around too. Mera mainly. She will drag it under a cage. But its easier to manage than obnoxious newspapers.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Thanks for a,l of your info everyone!, Ok everyone, things that are out up on the internet/Google might not be true from what I have read, I believe your guys and gals opinions, I might have to wait a few years until I actually decide. :) But it comes to mind, if macaws are big (and so are toos) and that macaws are my dream bird, can the people with mini macaws come forward? Maybe a mini would get me started before a big macaw. ;)
Once again thanks for all your opinions, info and help :hug8:
Okay - I will come forward. I had a Catalina Macaw and a U2 and they were too much for me every day. They were also too heavy for my arms. My sister in law took them both and everyone is happy . Six months later I was offered a Severe Macaw. He is perfect. (I have two Zons too!) He isn't too loud for me (could be the bird) and he isn't as demanding as my Catalina was. He likes to cuddle and he likes to tunnel in the blanket I cover up with. He also likes to just sit and chill with me in front of the tv. I can have him on one knee and one of my cats laying beside me. He's a rescue (all of my birds are rescues). It just worked out. I recommend the mini macaws a lot. Just do the research on them before you buy. If you rescue...just do the rescue. :D

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
And people wonder why I dont like using newspapers on the ground. They dont realize how obnoxious it is to have to run around collecting the paper after each wing flap. And using wooded blocks? Tried it! Made it works.

Towels are my best friend. My birds chew on them and also drag thdm around too. Mera mainly. She will drag it under a cage. But its easier to manage than obnoxious newspapers.

I use microfiber spill proof table cloths. :D Heavy weight, no soaking through, easy to wash. My guys LOVE TOWELS but don't touch these table cloths. :confused: It's a mystery. :laugh: