• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo or macaw?

firdy num num

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Hi Parronts,
For 1 and a half years now I have been saving up for either a macaw or cockatoo. You may think I'm an idiot and stuff thinking what? But I think (not even think) that I can take on big birds now. I have thought about it and talked about it, researched and all, but I need you guys to tell me if a big beak would fit me. :)I am also not wanting to cage the bird, do you think that's a good or bad idea? And today I'm going to read the good and the bad about of both macaws and cockatoos. If you were me, what would you think? Yes or no? Because I'm thinking of bringing one to my family next year.

@Bokkapooh
@Macawnutz
And anyone else?
Thanks everyone, I know I can count on you because your always there for me and are always so wise. :hug8:

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
I think it depends on your lifestyle. There are two major differences that stand out in my mind. Macaws are not as needy as a cockatoo for attention. Macaws don't produce as much dander either. Macawnutz posted online somewhere how much dander a cockatoo produced while wearing a black shirt.

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Thanks Denise, and yes I did see that. :hehe:And what I was also thinking, would air purifiers help?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm not an expert but I think that Macaws are easier. (but you know that parrots not are easy at all..) But a Macaw need a lot of space so it can stay healthy and flying even indoors.
Macaws need good indoor air, they are very sensitive to dust, so I don't think that it is a good idea to have them with a tiel.
In you want a cockatoo, you must realize that it is a very demanding bird. That bird will always need you if you only have one.

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
I agree J.T, I have an outdoor aviary outside, and if I were going to take it in and out I am going to harness train the bird. I am not going to keep a macaw (if I do decide to get one) in the same room as my other birds. First I am going to QT and then carry onto the important things.

And I forgot to tell you members to try and persuade me into one of the birds, it's SOO hard choosing. :lol:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I thought that I was ready for a Galah cockatoo. There are many times I wonder what the hell was I thinking. He is more needy. More nippy and a lot bigger challenge than all my other birds combined.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
A good air purifier is a must, if you decide to be owned by a 'too. That's just what it is -being owned. I've never been owned by a Mac, so I can't say anything about them.
I believe both species are extemely challenging. 'Toos seem to be a more "needy" bird,-Macs,to me, are more independent. Both are so very smart, sometimes too smart for their own good. ;)
Since I've only lived with 'toos, and you seem ready to make a choice, I'd recommend a 'too...big surprise,huh?
One last thing...you said you have done a lot of research, which I have no doubt that you have. When you do bring a 'too or a Mac into your life- be prepared to be schooled by the bird! :) My Milton teaches me something new every day... ;)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
No experience with either of the two but have you thought about pionus?

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
CS, no I haven't thought of a pionus. Why?

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Alyssa, yep. I was thinking of rescuing either one of them but seems like more people are leaning me into a cockatoo. :D :D :D

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Exactly, I have been also remotely interested in the red tailed black cockatoo, the structure of the face is beautiful! :heart:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
CS, no I haven't thought of a pionus. Why?
They are medium size but still big enough to have a bigger bird feel & are more independent & quiet & not as demanding.
I have considered them so I was just wondering if you had. They are very underrated birds.
I don't think they are big cuddlers if that's what you want like a too would be. Just thought you shouldn't overlook them.

Only you can tell whats right for you but you should do some research on all birds to make sure you make the right decision.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: What a question....

Pick a bird for me.... Macaw or Cockatoo? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What attracts you to the larger birds? What would you expect from one? What things do you want to do with your bird? How much time do you have? How patient are you?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Exactly, I have been also remotely interested in the red tailed black cockatoo, the structure of the face is beautiful! :heart:
They are very regal. So are African greys in my opinion. Galahs are so cute. Too's & Caws like big stuffed toys but behind the cute is a demanding bird
that if you are not ready for could disrupt your life.

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Larger birds have always been my dream to have one, don't think I'm just going to get one because I want one! Experience, difference and different personality is what I want in my house. A mixture of things.

Last edited: