• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel's stressful first day

Nukavine

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Goad
Okay, so I'm new to being a bird owner and I recently bought a Cockatiel. I got the same food brand from where he came from and I named him Sol. He doesn't have clipped wings, they put him in a box and we failed to get him in the cage and he flew into the corner. I had a friend with me that day so we tried to get him out, but we didn't get too close to him. We offered some strawberries but he wasn't having it. Eventually my step dad came in with some gloves on, got him and put him in the cage. He sat in the corner for about 30 minutes to an hour before climbing up to his top perch. It's about day 2 in terms of how long he's been here, how much will that first day set us back? He had a tight hold of my step dad's hand and was screaming, he was lucky he put on gloves. He's eating but not really approaching his water dish. He drank a bit but then went back up to his top perch. He has one up high near some toys and the one down low next to his food and water bowls. I do put a sheet over his cage and he seems calm but I can't tell if he's sleeping a lot. He's in my room and probably won't be leaving it much do to our cat that loves hanging out in the living room. If my hand gets close when I try to move the food he huffs and backs away to the other side.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. How old is your bird? If your bird is really scared you can try covering his cage on 3 sides and leaving the front open until he settles in more. Then way he doesn't have to be on "alert" from all three sides for danger. I would just spend time with him for now sitting with him and talking softly. Even reading to him so he gets used to you in a non threatening way. Also, silence during the day can be scary to a bird. So if your room is quiet you can try playing some soft music or leaving a TV on. Also, tiels tend not to eat fruit. You're better focusing on vegetables. And most cockatiels love millet spray. Also cockatiels are prone to night frights. So you may want to leave a night light on for him and a bit of a gap in the cover if you're covering him completely at night.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That was not the best introduction for the bird. Sorry that happened and please do not use gloves again. One of the better videos on this subject is this one...…………………..

Nukavine

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Goad
I usually leave the front uncovered and I leave the TV on but don't play anything at night just so there's some light. During the day I'm usually playing a game or something with friends and if I'm not I've been hanging out with him. I forgot to ask the pet shop owner how old Sol was. He's moving around and eating, he just backs away from me at this point and it's only been 2 days so I can understand if he just doesn't like me much yet. Sometimes he chirps one time he did it for a bit then got quiet again.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Think in terms of months for Sol to feel secure in his new home, not days.

Nukavine

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob Goad
Alright, it's just my first bird. Stressful.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hello::welcomeflag:

What a tough 1st day!

When we 1st got Buddy out RH amazon I moved way to fast around him. Especially my hands! I had to remind myself to move slower. Keep in mind that the cage is their home/nest.

Birds don't like fast waving hands around their cages. If you talk w/ your hands be aware of that too. I don't know anymore. This was just an issue I had, being brand new to a bird. Thought it may help you!

Rain