• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel's poop smells terrible

Emma O'Donnell

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Emma O'Donnell
Hi guys, I was hoping for some advice on what this may be. My cockatiel's poop has smelled absolutely foul for around 4 months now. I did take him to the vet around 2 months ago, I waited for so long because he wasn't showing any signs of illness, the smell was just too terrible for me to take any longer. He was completely healthy during his physical exam, all they found was some bacteria in his gram stain. He took one week of antibiotics and his poop stopped smelling for a few days, but as soon as he stopped the antibiotics his poop started smelling horrible again. I haven't taken him to the vet again yet because I only have enough money for one more visit, but it smells so horrible it's stinking up my bedroom and i'm miserable. Otherwise he is fine, he is active, energetic, playful, he sings, eats and drinks a normal amount, his weight is healthy. His diet is a mix of zupreem pellets and universal blend seeds. Does anyone know what might be causing this? His poop smells sour and foul, it's so disgusting. I'm truly dumbfounded as to what would cause this other than some sort of chronic infection, but wouldn't he be showing other symptoms if it's an infection? If anyone has tips for how to make this smell go away or any idea as to what is causing it please share them!

Emma O'Donnell

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Emma O'Donnell
Also I have two budgies who live in the same room, different cage, and they are healthy. Playful, active, their poop smells fine.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is not normal.

I would go back to the vet and ask them to test the faeces again. I suspect that the course of antibiotics last time wasn't enough to kill all the bacteria, so as soon as the antibiotics were stopped the bacteria re-established themselves. You may need either a different antibiotic that the bacteria are more sensitive to, or a longer course of antibiotics.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It may not be a bacteria at all. Foul smelling poop can indicate either a bacterial or a fungal infection.. Antibiotics do not kill fungus. You must use an anti fungal, if it is a fungus infection.