• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cockatiels and lovebirds?

miloandmax

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Amber
Hiya! a friend of mine is re-homing his fully tame 2 year old female cockatiel. She is a delight and i would love to give her a loving home however i have a pair of lovebirds that we are fairly certain are male, around 3 months old who we are hand taming ourselves . Has anyone had any experience keeping the two breeds together or is it a big no no? They would have separate cages of course and wouldn't be out unsupervised. Any advice is appreciated thank you!! :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
As long as they're not caged together, I think it would be okay. And they would need careful supervision. Cockatiels are super laid back birds and can actually be bullied by lovies, even though they're smaller. A woman who was on another forum I used to belong to had both tiels and lovies. Her lovie actually almost bit her tiel's toe completely off through the cage bars. So they just have to be watched.

miloandmax

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Amber
would it be a problem that the room they would be kept in, my bedroom, might be considered my lovebirds territory? Or because they’re young is that not a problem? Before I do anything I’m going to have the cockatiel visit my birdies to see how they get along and if they absolutely hate eachother and are vicious I’ll definitely not get her :)

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I think it would depend on the personality of said lovebirds, Sawyer tolerates other types of birds but Charlie is a xenophobe and actively bothers other birds

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
I had a cockatiel and a lovebird. No problem. They each had their own cage and I always supervise when out. But they were great together. My lovebird didn't seem to realize he needed to be female and a cockatiel to mate with my male cockatiel. Too funny. But they were best buds. Having 2 lovebirds might change the dynamic but they should be OK if supervised.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
My lovebird didn't seem to realize he needed to be female and a cockatiel to mate with my male cockatiel. Too funny. But they were best buds.
This was also the case when Elvis the G2 was visiting here...Buddy, our Nanday Conure, didn't quite understand that the new love of life was a different species...and also a boy...:rolleyes: