• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel gender help

Jadena

Moving in
049145D6-DAAF-4915-857E-F8439B4273D3.jpeg
I have this lovely cockatiel here, Kiki, estimated to be around two years old, I bought her and her friend Loki (confirmed male) around 4 months ago from a guy who only had them for less than a month . Their past before this owner is totally unknown. They were kept in a single cage with only one stick, and rarely let out, horrible!
They’ve both gotten a lot more comfortable with me in these few months, which I’m super glad for!

Now that it’s spring they would like to mate, but Kiki probably wouldn’t survive a pregnancy, health issues, so I’ve had to keep them separated. It hurts my heart!

I don’t really know if Kiki is a girl or not, I assumed she was at first, but she doesn’t really behave like a female. My male rarely ever does any sound, but Kiki screeches every morning and chirps 98% more than Loki does! She’s also slightly bigger than Loki (or maybe she just likes her food ).

I don’t think dna testing is available here where I’m from, and if so, I have no idea where I would get some. Not to mention now with covid I doubt I can order from online . (I’m from finland)

I can’t really house them separately permanently, and I’m unsure as to how well they would manage without another parrot companion. If Kiki does turnout to be a female then I have to try to sell one of them ☹.

This is my boy Loki!
788B9777-07F8-4474-8BEA-6CB61C4236C8.jpeg

PotatoSodi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Oliver
Usually you can tell the sex of a cockatiel from the intenseness of the cheek patch - the more orange the patch the more likely the cockatiel is to be a boy. Do you have any other pictures of Kiki? We would then be able to try and guess a little more.

Jadena

Moving in
Usually you can tell the sex of a cockatiel from the intenseness of the cheek patch - the more orange the patch the more likely the cockatiel is to be a boy. Do you have any other pictures of Kiki? We would then be able to try and guess a little more.
8AC3E4EA-756A-417E-A97E-8FD073BC29D0.jpeg 5E1480CF-2B34-4CD7-AD5F-008F2248F4EC.jpeg

Hope these are helpful! When I first looked at her I was pretty sure it was a girl based on the cheek, but recently I had read that there’s some colour mutations (some that you can’t see) that may make differentiating very difficult :crycry:

Also, what mutation could she be? I think she looks a little like a cinnamon pied, I might be wrong! Not very good with differentiating mutations

Overall my guess would still lie in her being a female, but she’s so so so vocal! Made me really reconsider

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think you have 2 pieds which makes visually sexing hard. They are both super cute.

Jadena

Moving in
I think you have 2 pieds which makes visually sexing hard. They are both super cute.

They’re pictures of the same bird :laugh:. Loki is just a normal beautiful gray, easy to sex ^^. 3160573C-F128-48A1-AB07-D8B43A81823D.jpeg

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Welcome @Jadena !

Kiki is surely a beauty!

Now that it’s spring they would like to mate, but Kiki probably wouldn’t survive a pregnancy, health issues, so I’ve had to keep them separated. It hurts my heart!

I don’t really know if Kiki is a girl or not, I assumed she was at first, but she doesn’t really behave like a female.
What makes you think they would like to mate, as you say?
Are they doing anything to make you think this?
I'm glad you are not encouraging it, whatever it is, if it is something!

:welcomesign:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
A female can lay eggs even without a mate, so you don’t really have to rehome her if she’s a girl, just take away any eggs and replace them with dummy eggs. No males in my house and I still get eggs!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Loki is split pied actually... and I suspect he may be carrying other mutations as well.

As far as I can tell, Kiki is in fact a hen. And she is also a pied - so you can't visually sex a pied based on cheek patches. I used to have a female that could wolf whistle... also pied. Males don't lay eggs. She did! Some hens even pick up on talking! Uncommon, but it happens... so perhaps Kiki is just a very vocal hen? Or Loki isn't as vocal as he could be?

What health issues does Kiki have?

Jadena

Moving in
Loki is split pied actually... and I suspect he may be carrying other mutations as well.

As far as I can tell, Kiki is in fact a hen. And she is also a pied - so you can't visually sex a pied based on cheek patches. I used to have a female that could wolf whistle... also pied. Males don't lay eggs. She did! Some hens even pick up on talking! Uncommon, but it happens... so perhaps Kiki is just a very vocal hen? Or Loki isn't as vocal as he could be?

What health issues does Kiki have?
Oh wow! I thought Loki was a normal gray!

Since some asked, Loki and her have tried to breed before I separated them. I still occasionally let them out at the same time if im watching them the whole time, I don’t know if its the right thing to do or not but I’m trying my best :cry3: .

Kiki has some kind of growth/cyst near her vent, she had trouble pooping when I first got her, but thankfully getting her to eat a healthy diet has significantly helped with it!
The vets here aren’t confident with doing anything to it, so It cant be removed.

Based on the fact that she still kind of has slight trouble pooping, I would assume that she wouldn’t be able to pass an egg :sad1: . I do know females can make eggs even without a male, I’m just really hoping she isn’t going to.

Both of them are still pretty untame, Kiki more so than Loki, so I don’t know if fully separating them would be a good idea unless there’s another companion, but i know that Loki being near her will probably make her more likely to make eggs :sad8:

What do you guys think I should do?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sounds like you've done great for both of them! Thank you for taking care of them! :)

It's a tough situation. She could very well choose to lay eggs without him around so I don't necessarily think that having to get rid of one will do any good... but at the same time, being together could potentially increase those hormones. You can certainly do what you can to keep discouraging the behavior and hope she doesn't lay.

Getting daily flight and a healthy diet should help most hens from egg laying problems. Not sure in her case though, it might be different for her. :(

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't really help here, I just want to say that it's great to see how much you have done for these beautiful babies! They are adorable!

Also just to add, I have a lutino female who is really loud and chirpy and has bright orange cheek patches:

IMG_20200506_133410.jpg

I only know for certain that she's female from her courting behaviour (butt in the air, soft chirps).

Jadena

Moving in
I can't really help here, I just want to say that it's great to see how much you have done for these beautiful babies! They are adorable!

Also just to add, I have a lutino female who is really loud and chirpy and has bright orange cheek patches:

View attachment 337332

I only know for certain that she's female from her courting behaviour (butt in the air, soft chirps).
Oh my goodness! Ur birds are beautiful!

Also a big thank you for everyone who has commented in this thread :heart2: