• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel feather problem? deformity?

yurilover

Checking out the neighborhood
I've had my tiel for about 2 years, he was around 2 when I got him. Recently some of his feathers have been deformed, about 3-4 since very early march. Its not always the same feather/from the same place and some of the feathers he loses are normal. To my knowledge he has never been clipped, I'm not sure if this is relevant? He used to have a problem with over-preening/pulling feathers out when I first got him but it was very mild and he hasn't pulled any out for about a year now. I haven't noticed a change in energy levels and these feathers don't seem to bother him, but I would like to know what is causing them. He eats pellets and vegetables. I got a new bird about 5 months ago, there is nothing wrong with her feathers. I haven't called a vet yet but I will soon, would just like to know if anyone has dealt with this before?
feather.png
Most of the feather is normal except for the base which is still hollow but enlarged and discolored.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
That is a feather which was not ready to come out.
do you have pics of the other problematic feathers? If he’s bothering them before they’re done forming and hardening that would make them distorted, too.

yurilover

Checking out the neighborhood
That is a feather which was not ready to come out.
do you have pics of the other problematic feathers? If he’s bothering them before they’re done forming and hardening that would make them distorted, too.
Thank you so much for the reply! Here is a pic of a different feather.
IMG_5404.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I wonder if @Macawnutz can shed some light on the reason behind the enlarged and coloured bit. I do not think I have seen feathers like that before but I also do not have the most reliable memory.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I think the bird is plucking and that is where the feather attached to the skin.